5,594,282 Members 43,834 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] [18 November] [RC1] Energy XDA_UC Configuration Tools 2 (EXCT2)

Tip us?

M3PH
Old
(Last edited by M3PH; 26th November 2011 at 09:29 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] [18 November] [RC1] Energy XDA_UC Configuration Tools 2 (EXCT2)

This thread is for the discussion, development and support of EXCT2. EXCT2 is compatible with all Energy Roms based on Windows mobile 6.5 and it is entirely possible that it will work with other stock and custom windows mobile roms.

EXCT2 is the continuation of a project i started last year which can be found here. It was born out of a hatred for the hours it took to configure a new rom install.

EXCT2 expands on EXCT by adding a basic User Interface and allowing for a large amount of automation for settings gathering from the system registry. No registry editors required, no Third party XML file writers needed. EXCT2 will detect exchange server settings, audio manager storage paths, Windows Live and palringo settings and so much more all at the touch of a button and export them in the appropriate file type in the folder of your choosing for XDA_UC (or possibly Sashimi) to import.

Requirements:

Windows Mobile 6.5 or 6.5.x (it may work with 6.0 and 6.1 as well but this has only been tested in the SDK's emulator and may not work as expected)
.Net Compact Framework 3.5
XDA_UC (it may well work with other settings importers like sashimi)
Some patience

Known Bugs:

All known Bugs have been squished for now

Download:

All downloads will be hosted here and new builds will also be hosted on XDA. Hosting the newest version anywhere else is strictly prohibited and if you want to host mirrors of previous versions seek my permission first.

Some Fun Stuff

I have had some forum banners made up so the users can identify themselves to each other. Also so it is easier to identify the testers and myself outside of this thread. If anyone donates towards the continuation of the project you will get a special supporters banner. Below is the users banner for you to download. Thanks to Swiss420 for creating them and also for doing the program icon. Swis has also just come up with the EXCT2 Splat!

The Thank you's

Finally i should say thank you to a few people simply because they have put up with me pestering them with questions and because they have provided code. These people are XDA members Ultrashot, Stephj, Xcaliburinhand. Also Jesse Jiang and Reed Kimble the on MSDN forums have contributed greatly. Finally The testing team deserve a big thanks (even the guys that went MIA) CanjunFlavoredBob deserves the biggest thanks for sticking with it and providing some great suggestions and ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exct2rc1ss1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	795499   Click image for larger version

Name:	EXCT2rc1ss2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	795500   Click image for larger version

Name:	EXCT2rc1ss3.jpg
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	795501   Click image for larger version

Name:	exct2rc1ss4.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	795502   Click image for larger version

Name:	EXCT2rc1ss5.jpg
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	795503  

Attached Files
File Type: cab EXCT2_RC1.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (354.3 KB, 170 views)

PDA/Phone
HTC HD2 - Retired
HTC One X....
ARHD One X 31.3
Kernel: Stock
Hboot: 1.72
Radio: 5.1204.167.31

PC
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz (o/c to 3.1GHz), 4GB Corsair PC8500 DDR2, EVGA GeForce GTX 560, Asus P5k Premium Wifi-AP, Creative SB X-FI Titanium, Windows 7 Pro x64/openSUSE 12.1 x64

New to XDA? got flamed for a bad post? watch this video
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to M3PH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

M3PH
Old
(Last edited by M3PH; 18th November 2011 at 12:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Default The Changelog

Changelog:

18 November (RC1)
Updated Visual look
Other minor bug fixes

23 September (Beta 5)
Added CHT export (hidden and disabled till the CHTE team sort out a bug in their code)
Fixed Minor issue with twitter export
Added People tab order export
Added Manilla Tab order export
Fixed issue with Alarm 2 and alarm3 exports

15 August (Beta 4)
Added Alarm export functions
Some small UI tweaks
Improved Operation Complete and Operation Failed dialogs
Other small tweaks and fixes

24 July (Beta 3.1)
Fixed Rhodium crash (thanks to JVH3)

22 July 2011 (beta 3)
Complete UI redesign.
Added File overwrite checking
Adjusted Time elapsed check in file write success check to 10 seconds
Improved Exception handling
Added "Export all" click detection to reduce the amount of message boxes it generates
Updated xml export code to include updated error handling, file overwrite protection and Export all click detection
Added copy.mscr to cab file (Installs to "\Storage Card\XDA_UC")
Added copy2root folder detection/creation code
Various Other internal changes

10 July 2011 (beta 2):
Fixed xml file write checking code
Improved folderbrowser (thanks to stephj)
Improved combobox item description for all xml functions
Fixed Twitter function (thanks to CJB for helping with that)
Added framework for file copies. Will allow for opera settings export later
Added some basic exception handling
probably some other things i forgot to write down

30 June 2011 (beta 1):
First public release

PDA/Phone
HTC HD2 - Retired
HTC One X....
ARHD One X 31.3

PC
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz (o/c to 3.1GHz), 4GB Corsair PC8500 DDR2, EVGA GeForce GTX 560, Asus P5k Premium Wifi-AP, Creative SB X-FI Titanium, Windows 7 Pro x64/openSUSE 12.1 x64

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M3PH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

M3PH
Old
(Last edited by M3PH; 22nd July 2011 at 11:30 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Default The FAQ

1) Some misconceptions.

It has been reported this is a settings importer as well as an exporter. This is not true. EXCT2 will only export settings and only the settings it is aware of. It is also not exclusively written for the Energy roms. It will quite probably work on any rom but the only roms it has been tested with are the stock WM6.5 rom in the WM emulator and the Energy rom in my signature. I also know that CajunFlavoredBob uses EXCT2 on his own private custom rom

2) I use a program/feature in Windows Mobile that doesn't have a settings exporter in EXCT2.

Well tell me about it. As long as it is a program that many people use, IS NOT a third party app like S2U2 or any of the SPB programs etc, and you can provide me an complete example of the settings that need to be exported i will work on including it, if it is reasonable to do so.

3) EXCT2 beta 2 and newer crashes on startup

Make sure you have .Net 3.5 Compact framework installed. This can be checked by running cgacutil.exe from the windows folder on the device

4) What do i need to include when posting a problem?

When posting a problem, please include what device you are using, the exact version (including skin, windows build number and rom date) also the version of .Net you have installed. This can be found by running cgacutil.exe from the windows folder on the device. If this util reports anything less than 3.5.xxxx.xx then don't post. Instead grab .Net 3.5 from the MS download center and get NRGZ to update his rom

more to come.........

PDA/Phone
HTC HD2 - Retired
HTC One X....
ARHD One X 31.3

PC

cajunflavoredbob
Old
Thanks Meter 6744
@everyone This is a pretty handy application that makes exporting settings a piece of cake. Not everything is fully functional yet, but this has HUGE potential for the entire community and deserves some support and recognition.

@M3PH Is the public beta release any different than the last alpha build I tested?
¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯ New users: Please click HERE or HERE before posting ¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯

PHP Code:
public class XDA {
    public static 
void main(String[] args) {

System.out.println("XDA Member");
                if (
You beg for thanks) {

"Go Jump Off a Bridge!";
        }
    }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord. –Proverbs 18:22 KJV

M3PH
Old
(Last edited by M3PH; 30th June 2011 at 05:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunflavoredbob View Post
@everyone This is a pretty handy application that makes exporting settings a piece of cake. Not everything is fully functional yet, but this has HUGE potential for the entire community and deserves some support and recognition.

@M3PH Is the public beta release any different than the last alpha build I tested?
Yeah i fixed the things you said were broken .. well the things i could fix (the palringo function mostly). I've also spent a little time this afternoon working on the user selectable save location with stephj and we've cracked it so i'll ship that out into a new private area for the testers tomorrow because i'm gonna go have some chill time. I've been working on this for 4 weeks or so and now it's public i'm gonna go enjoy myself for few hours

I've also just sent a PM to ezthunder in the hope that he will come read the thread and post something about it on the portal. I hope he likes EXCT.

PDA/Phone
HTC HD2 - Retired
HTC One X....
ARHD One X 31.3

PC

cajunflavoredbob
Old
Thanks Meter 6744
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PH View Post
Yeah i fixed the things you said were broken .. well the things i could fix (the palringo function mostly). I've also spent a little time this afternoon working on the user selectable save location with stephj and we've cracked it so i'll ship that out into a new private area for the testers tomorrow because i'm gonna go have some chill time. I've been working on this for 4 weeks or so and now it's public i'm gonna go enjoy myself for few hours

I've also just sent a PM to ezthunder in the hope that he will come read the thread and post something about it on the portal. I hope he likes EXCT.
He's a good one to contact. I always go through orb3000. Either way, here's hoping for some exposure.

Have yourself a beer for this little milestone.
¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯ New users: Please click HERE or HERE before posting ¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯

PHP Code:
public class XDA {
    public static 
void main(String[] args) {

System.out.println("XDA Member");
                if (
You beg for thanks) {

"Go Jump Off a Bridge!";
        }
    }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord. –Proverbs 18:22 KJV

M3PH
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunflavoredbob View Post
He's a good one to contact. I always go through orb3000. Either way, here's hoping for some exposure.

Have yourself a beer for this little milestone.
I already am and theres gonna be a few more consumed before the evening is done

Just a couple of things for people reading this thread and thinking is it worth a try. Firstly hell yes! The more feedback i get from the curious the better because it will allow me to improve on the rough edges. I always release stuff as quickly as i can because the more people that use stuff like this the more it improves in a shorter amount of time. Secondly, if you have flashed more than just a couple of custom roms in your time you know it can be a pain to restore all your settings by hand. I remember when i was flashing updates every couple of days. It made using my phone so difficult because everytime i ran a new program i'd have to configure it. After every flash i would have go through the labourious process of reconfiguring my wifi, exchange partner and vpn settings. That's a half hour job right there and with EXCT it takes 10 seconds. Those numbers work for me and the 1500+ people that downloaded the original EXCT.

So go on, try it out, click that thanks button like you have a muscle spasm in your index finger and enjoy the brilliance that is EXCT2 (and if you really like it buy me a beer links below )

PDA/Phone
HTC HD2 - Retired
HTC One X....
ARHD One X 31.3

PC

The Following User Says Thank You to M3PH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

M3PH
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
so we made it on to the portal see what egzthunder1 had to say here

PDA/Phone
HTC HD2 - Retired
HTC One X....
ARHD One X 31.3

PC

BerMM
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Can't wait to try it, just need to know what prep is needed. I'm coming from EXCT1, so should I do anything more than backup and empty my XDA_UC folder and then run the cab?
-T-Mobile US SAMSUNG GALAXY S III T999 (Marble White, Stock & No Root)

M3PH
Old
(Last edited by M3PH; 2nd July 2011 at 02:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerMM View Post
Can't wait to try it, just need to know what prep is needed. I'm coming from EXCT1, so should I do anything more than backup and empty my XDA_UC folder and then run the cab?
BerMM, Whazzzup!!!?

You actually need to interact with this (sorry if that sounds insulting. I've been drinking). For you, i would say all you need to do is make sure the exchange, wifi and vpn tabs are filled out and hit the export all button and prey it's doesn't crash (no exception handling in the public release yet). If it works fine you then you just need to check everything you need was exported and combine the back up with it.

There also stuff in EXCT2 that would have never got into EXCT (like Facebook and twitter settings backup). Mainly because NRGZ said he would include EXCT2 in the rom when it was up to his standards (and the sun, moon, most of the planets and the man himself all align ).

Anyway, nice to see you're still around. I never forget a pretty face... i mean... i never forget a decent supporter

P.S
If you want a copy of the testing version let me know but it means you will have to do some work and stay in touch but you do get a cool banner like CajunBob's (ok fair enough, it's not exactly a massive selling point but Swiss spent time on those)

PDA/Phone
HTC HD2 - Retired
HTC One X....
ARHD One X 31.3

PC

Tags
energy rom, exct, exct2, xda_uc