Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,105 Members 51,936 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Toshiba Thrive

Tip us?
kjy2010 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarrassDeAmor View Post
Oh snap, gonna try hooking up my Zune.
EDIT: Nope.

Is this a processor limitation, or software?

I've only encountered the sleep bug once, and I just did a hard reset. Other than that it has been fine so far. Did the OTA update do anything?
I restored back to factory defaults, with no update, still had the sleep bug. The CS guy at Toshiba tried denying the issue, then I told him to see if there was a bulletin out on it, and sure enough, there was. I asked if there was an ETA out for a fix, he said their "engineering department was hard at work coming up with an update to fix it". If the DEVs here on this forum can fix a sleep bug in a day, why hasn't Toshiba been able to figure it out?!?
That is not the only con of this tablet however. It has a plastic/acrylic screen of some sort. It's not glass, and certainly not gorilla glass. I took mine back just over an hour ago and went back to the Iconia. IMHO for the money ($30.00 less), and feature set, it's the best one out to date.
Like I said, it's just my opinion, please don't anyone take it personally.

GuitarrassDeAmor
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjy2010 View Post
I restored back to factory defaults, with no update, still had the sleep bug. The CS guy at Toshiba tried denying the issue, then I told him to see if there was a bulletin out on it, and sure enough, there was. I asked if there was an ETA out for a fix, he said their "engineering department was hard at work coming up with an update to fix it". If the DEVs here on this forum can fix a sleep bug in a day, why hasn't Toshiba been able to figure it out?!?
That is not the only con of this tablet however. It has a plastic/acrylic screen of some sort. It's not glass, and certainly not gorilla glass. I took mine back just over an hour ago and went back to the Iconia. IMHO for the money ($30.00 less), and feature set, it's the best one out to date.
Like I said, it's just my opinion, please don't anyone take it personally.
I don't know, no excuse for that really. I don't mind the screen, but I do wish it was Gorilla Glass. That would be awesome. The Iconia feels cheaply made in my opinion, and that is just from messing around on it at Best Buy. I've handled every tablet, and besides the Touchpad (ugly shaped IMO), that is the only one I really don't like the make of. It also feels heavier than the Thrive, which I don't mind, but it is. As for the opinion, as long as you're not saying it's **** because you couldn't figure out how to turn it on (and provide an actual reason), I don't think many care.

teh roxxorz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2075

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I don't know, no excuse for that really. I don't mind the screen, but I do wish it was Gorilla Glass. That would be awesome. The Iconia feels cheaply made in my opinion, and that is just from messing around on it at Best Buy. I've handled every tablet, and besides the Touchpad (ugly shaped IMO), that is the only one I really don't like the make of. It also feels heavier than the Thrive, which I don't mind, but it is. As for the opinion, as long as you're not saying it's **** because you couldn't figure out how to turn it on (and provide an actual reason), I don't think many care.
I agree, the hp touchpad is ugly, the concept designer should be shot, because its not sexy.

Also I agree, need some hardened facts. I am going to be picking mine up between this friday and next saturday. Execellent mini scam to get 20% off at best buy.
この こえ かれて も きえない メロヂー

The difference between the strong and weak willed is that the weak traverse with wounds covered up and hide when attacked, while the strong stride on with open hands and tears. Wounds bared open, and will continue to go on, even when broken at their core

Nexus 5
Teh Kernel kill count: 3
</3

If you wanna chat, message me.
Xbox Live: teh roxxorz [Live is up]
PSN [PS3 | PS4]: tehroxxorz666 [Where you'll likely find me]

My dropbox is a little hungry again, if you'd like a dropbox, register via my link, and we'll both get an extra 500mb storage. Thank you in advance you beautiful person you.

davin8r
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Is this a processor limitation, or software?
From what I understand, it is a processor limitation of Tegra 2 (no support for hardware acceleration of h264 high profile video).

gsum
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default References

May want to check out specs on toshiba support page. I can't post links yet

Good FAQ and reviews I came across was including SD cards, sleep, display quality, full review

androidforums.com/toshiba-thrive

androidforums.com/toshiba-thrive/373335-full-review-thrive.html

Butterxbean
Old
(Last edited by Butterxbean; 13th July 2011 at 05:33 AM.) Reason: Had to fix the embed, oops!
Thanks Meter 1
Default About the Toshiba Thrive Screen Material...

One of our Thrivey friends over at Thriveforums.org put up a video as a screen test using a key. It help up just fine, no protector, so whether it's gorilla glass or not, This stuff will keep your screen safe!

hobbiteer
Old
Thanks Meter 6
So, over at the Thrive forums they seem to have successfully tested the bootloader and it is not locked. (Just like Toshiba promised.) Apparently we just need a recovery kernal and we should be set. [URL= http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-development/]Here[URL] is the forum. If we could get a dev like kousch or a on RA for help on recovery it would be awesome. It would also be much appreciated if anybody who wants one check out my thread for a thrive sub-forum.
Retired- T-Mobile G2 Perma-rooted, SIM Unlocked, S-Off, Stock Rom w/o bloatware
Retired- HTC Espresso/MyTouch Slide rooted, Personal ROM
Retired- HTC Desire/Eris-Rooted...EvilEris 3.0
Retired- T-Mobile G1, rooted NexusSuperD-blk 1.9.3 Danger SPL
Retired- HTC 6700 WM6.1 Heavily Modded
Retired- HTC 6800 WM6.1 Heavily modded

rushless
Old
Thanks Meter 271
The sleep bug issue is forcing me to return the Thrive. I like the device a LOT, but nine out of ten times I have to power the device down and power back on when it goes in sleep mode.

If I turn the display off and then back on within a few seconds- no problem, but when the device goes into a sleep state- it does NOT wake back up when pressing the power button. Keeping music running is too impractical and hurts battery life, since that is not the only thing that will load in the background, being Android.

Best Buy is getting returns due to the issue, so it can not be helping the launch. You would think that Toshiba would mention the issue and a fix is coming- to reduce returns.

The Thrive is sweet, but right now, a nasty a$$ sleep bug is ruining that sweetness.

rushless
Old
Thanks Meter 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsum View Post
May want to check out specs on toshiba support page. I can't post links yet

Good FAQ and reviews I came across was including SD cards, sleep, display quality, full review

androidforums.com/toshiba-thrive

androidforums.com/toshiba-thrive/373335-full-review-thrive.html
Ironically, that is my review and I am returning the Thrive due to it not wanting to come out of sleep mode when pressing the power button

dalepl
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbiteer View Post
So, over at the Thrive forums they seem to have successfully tested the bootloader and it is not locked. (Just like Toshiba promised.) Apparently we just need a recovery kernal and we should be set. [URL= http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-development/]Here[URL] is the forum. If we could get a dev like kousch or a on RA for help on recovery it would be awesome. It would also be much appreciated if anybody who wants one check out my thread for a thrive sub-forum.
Good stuff. Maybe XDA will see this and give us our own SUB. If not, maybe we should start getting development SUBS on the Thrive site.
Paul
Verizon Wireless
Samsun Galaxy Nexus
Toshiba Thrive 10.1"
Toshiba Excite 10"
Huntsville, Alabama