[Guide] TEMP-ROOT ANY Gingerbread build and downgrade to 1.32.405.6 [Updated July 30]
I CAN NO LONGER PROVIDE SUPPORT, NOR UPDATE THIS POST ANY MORE, AS I NO LONGER HAVE TIME DUE TO MOST OF MY TIME BEING SPENT AT WORK! SORRY
Here is a guide to Temproot and downgrade any HTC Desire HD Gingerbread Build
If you need help that would only take me a few seconds to answer, contact me on twitter @cubz90
This method has been confirmed working for all DHD Gingerbread builds!
Please could you post the Exploit address when successfully rooted with fre3vo. Thanks
Thanks go to:
Please make sure you have the phone's drivers installed on the computer you are using, otherwise this will not work.
1. Enable USB debugging on your phone and place your phone on CHARGE ONLY (If this doesn't work, try choosing 'HTC Sync' when connecting USB)
2. Download the DHD Downgrade folder
and extract it to the root of your hard drive (usually this is the "C:\" drive on your computer)
3. Run the file named "RUN THIS FOR ROOT". A command prompt will open and will begin to do the adb steps for you.
Alternatively (If step 3 fails):
1. Open a command prompt (right click "Run as Administrator" is using Vista or W7) and locate the downgrade folder (type "CD C:\DHDDowngrade" minus the quotes in CMD)
2. Run the below commands (be sure to press enter after each line)
adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start FBB00000 -end FFFFFFFF
If the scan hangs, just reboot your DHD and start again.
You may not get all the messages (due to flushing issues when we kill adb), but if you get kicked back to your system command prompt, try "adb shell"
If you see '#' you successfully have temproot.
If you want to use Titanium Backup, you must do the following:
1. Download Busybox, su & fixsu.sh
2. Run the following commands in CMD...
adb push fixsu.sh /data/local/tmp
adb push su /data/local/tmp
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fixsu.sh
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/su
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/busybox
3. Install Superuser.apk
4. Install Titanium Backup from the Market
5. Run the following commands in CMD:
# cd /data/local/tmp
If you see...
rm failed for /system/bin/su Read-only file system
You can now use Titanium to backup all User Apps + Data (You can backup System apps too)
If you don't want to go any further than rooting, and just want temproot to remove bloatware, you can also use Titanium backup to do that.
Temproot will be enabled until phone is rebooted.
1. Create a goldcard:
1. Format SDCard to FAT32
2. Download Goldcard Helper from Android Market
3. Open Goldcard Helper with the SDCard in the phone, and you will see the mmc2 reverse CID
Note: Do not use the Copy feature in the app as this will copy the wrong CID!
Alternate to the Goldcard helper app:4. Go to http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard
1. Open up a command prompt (Windows Key + R, type "CMD", press enter)
2. connect your phone as "charge only" and have usb debugging enabled
3. navigate the command prompt to the downgrade folder.
4. Type the following command:
5. Select and copy the cid
adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2:*/cid
5. Enter your email address and the mmc2 reverse CID that is showing on the Goldcard Helper app then submit it
6. The img file will be emailed to you, download and save it somewhere you will remember
7. Download this hex editor - http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD
8. Open HxD hex editor on your computer by right-clicking it and clicking 'Run as Administrator'
9. Mount your SD card to your computer, preferably using a card reader but you can use your phone as well
10. Go to 'Extra' menu > 'Open Disk'. Select Removable Disk (which should be your SD card) under Physical Disk (and NOT logical disk), uncheck 'Open as Readonly' and click OK
11. Go to the 'Extra' > 'Open Disk Image' and open the goldcard image downloaded in Step 6. . Select '512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)' as the sector size when prompted and click OK
12. In the goldcard image tab, go to 'Edit' > 'Select All' and then 'Edit' >'Copy'
13. In the 'Removable Disk' tab, highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 including the 00000170 line and go to 'Edit' menu > 'Paste Write'
14. Click 'File' > 'Save' and accept any warning that you get
2. Place the stock 1.32 PD98IMG.zip
on the root of your SDcard/Goldcard
4. Open the file in the folder named "RUN THIS FOR DOWNGRADE". The command prompt will opn and begin to do the adb steps for you.
Alternatively (If step 4 fails):
Run the below commands in CMD:
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3
adb reboot bootloader
5. You should see a white bootloader screen, press the power button to enter the bootloader and it should automatically start to detect the PD98IMG.zip file.
6. You will see a blue progress bar on the right of the screen while the file is being checked. You should now be asked to confirm if you want to install this ROM, press 'Volume Up' to confirm. Wait patiently while the ROM is installed.
7. Once the installation is complete, press the 'power' button to restart your phone.
You have successfully downgraded to stock 1.32
How to Root 1.32:
1. Download and install Visionary+
to your Desire HD
2. Open Visionary+ and choose "Temproot now". The screen may go black and may become unresponsive, please allow it to finish.
3. After temproot, choose "Attempt permroot now". This will attempt to permanently root your Desire HD. Your device should then reboot.
4. After reboot, you should successfully be rooted.
How to Radio S-Off & SimUnlock Your Desire HD
- Thanks to jkoljo
How to Flash recovery with ClockworkMod
1. Search Android Market for a free app called 'ROM Manager'. Once found, install it.
2. Once it has been installed, launch 'ROM Manager' on your phone.
3. In ROM Manager, tap 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery'. Tap on 'Desire HD' when it pops up.
4. Be patient as ClockworkMod is installed, as it can take quite some time. Once it has finished , you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone.
You should now have stock 1.32, root, S-off, and CWM Recovery.
You can now flash a ROM using Clockworkmod
Please press Thanks
Q. How do I run CMD?
A. Windows Vista and 7 users: Press Start, type CMD. You should see CMD sppear, right click and 'Run as Administrator'. Windows XP users: Press Start, Press 'Run', type CMD, then click OK.
Q. How do I enable USB Debugging?
A. On your Desire HD go to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Enable USB Debugging
Q. Why do I keep getting CID error in bootloader?
A. This is most often a problem with your goldcard. First make sure you have created a goldcard using the guide at the top of this post. If you have created a goldcard, format the SDCard using FAT32 and try again making sure you have followed each step very carefully. Also, make sure you have the .bin file on your SDCard after doing the adb steps.
Q. When going into bootloader it says "no image or wrong image"
A. This message will be displayed when files it is looking for cannot be found. Leave it to continue and it will update. If it displays this message after searching for PD98IMG.zip, then the file is damaged or you do not have it on your SDCard.
Q. Do I have to disconnect the phone from the computer before booting into bootloader?
Q. I have tried many times to create the goldcard, but continue to get errors.
A. This could be because you are continuously making mistakes, or your SDCard cannot be made into a goldcard, try another SDCard.
More will be added when needed