[Guide] TEMP-ROOT ANY Gingerbread build and downgrade to 1.32.405.6 [Updated July 30]

Search This thread

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
I CAN NO LONGER PROVIDE SUPPORT, NOR UPDATE THIS POST ANY MORE, AS I NO LONGER HAVE TIME DUE TO MOST OF MY TIME BEING SPENT AT WORK! SORRY
If you need help that would only take me a few seconds to answer, contact me on twitter @cubz90

Here is a guide to Temproot and downgrade any HTC Desire HD Gingerbread Build
This method has been confirmed working for all DHD Gingerbread builds!

Please could you post the Exploit address when successfully rooted with fre3vo. Thanks

Thanks go to:
agrabren
aswethinkweiz
JSLEnterprises :)

Please make sure you have the phone's drivers installed on the computer you are using, otherwise this will not work.

2ldvnh2.gif

Temp Root:

1. Enable USB debugging on your phone and place your phone on CHARGE ONLY (If this doesn't work, try choosing 'HTC Sync' when connecting USB)
2. Download the DHD Downgrade folder and extract it to the root of your hard drive (usually this is the "C:\" drive on your computer)
3. Run the file named "RUN THIS FOR ROOT". A command prompt will open and will begin to do the adb steps for you.

Alternatively (If step 3 fails):

1. Open a command prompt (right click "Run as Administrator" is using Vista or W7) and locate the downgrade folder (type "CD C:\DHDDowngrade" minus the quotes in CMD)
2. Run the below commands (be sure to press enter after each line)

adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start FBB00000 -end FFFFFFFF

If the scan hangs, just reboot your DHD and start again.

You may not get all the messages (due to flushing issues when we kill adb), but if you get kicked back to your system command prompt, try "adb shell"

If you see '#' you successfully have temproot.

2ldvnh2.gif

If you want to use Titanium Backup, you must do the following:

1. Download Busybox, su & fixsu.sh and Superuser.apk

2. Run the following commands in CMD...

adb push fixsu.sh /data/local/tmp
adb push su /data/local/tmp
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fixsu.sh
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/su
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/busybox

3. Install Superuser.apk

4. Install Titanium Backup from the Market

5. Run the following commands in CMD:

adb shell
# cd /data/local/tmp
# ./fixsu.sh

If you see...
rm failed for /system/bin/su Read-only file system
...ignore it

You can now use Titanium to backup all User Apps + Data (You can backup System apps too)
If you don't want to go any further than rooting, and just want temproot to remove bloatware, you can also use Titanium backup to do that.
Temproot will be enabled until phone is rebooted.

2ldvnh2.gif

Downgrade:

1. Create a goldcard:
1. Format SDCard to FAT32

2. Download Goldcard Helper from Android Market

3. Open Goldcard Helper with the SDCard in the phone, and you will see the mmc2 reverse CID

Note: Do not use the Copy feature in the app as this will copy the wrong CID!​

Alternate to the Goldcard helper app:
1. Open up a command prompt (Windows Key + R, type "CMD", press enter)
2. connect your phone as "charge only" and have usb debugging enabled
3. navigate the command prompt to the downgrade folder.
4. Type the following command:
adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2:*/cid
5. Select and copy the cid

4. Go to http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard

5. Enter your email address and the mmc2 reverse CID that is showing on the Goldcard Helper app then submit it

6. The img file will be emailed to you, download and save it somewhere you will remember

7. Download this hex editor - http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

8. Open HxD hex editor on your computer by right-clicking it and clicking 'Run as Administrator'

9. Mount your SD card to your computer, preferably using a card reader but you can use your phone as well

10. Go to 'Extra' menu > 'Open Disk'. Select Removable Disk (which should be your SD card) under Physical Disk (and NOT logical disk), uncheck 'Open as Readonly' and click OK

11. Go to the 'Extra' > 'Open Disk Image' and open the goldcard image downloaded in Step 6. . Select '512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)' as the sector size when prompted and click OK

12. In the goldcard image tab, go to 'Edit' > 'Select All' and then 'Edit' >'Copy'

13. In the 'Removable Disk' tab, highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 including the 00000170 line and go to 'Edit' menu > 'Paste Write'

14. Click 'File' > 'Save' and accept any warning that you get

2. Place the stock 1.32 PD98IMG.zip on the root of your SDcard/Goldcard

4. Open the file in the folder named "RUN THIS FOR DOWNGRADE". The command prompt will opn and begin to do the adb steps for you.

Alternatively (If step 4 fails):

Run the below commands in CMD:

adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3
adb reboot bootloader

5. You should see a white bootloader screen, press the power button to enter the bootloader and it should automatically start to detect the PD98IMG.zip file.
6. You will see a blue progress bar on the right of the screen while the file is being checked. You should now be asked to confirm if you want to install this ROM, press 'Volume Up' to confirm. Wait patiently while the ROM is installed.
7. Once the installation is complete, press the 'power' button to restart your phone.

You have successfully downgraded to stock 1.32 :)

2ldvnh2.gif

How to Root 1.32:

1. Download and install Visionary+ to your Desire HD
2. Open Visionary+ and choose "Temproot now". The screen may go black and may become unresponsive, please allow it to finish.
3. After temproot, choose "Attempt permroot now". This will attempt to permanently root your Desire HD. Your device should then reboot.
4. After reboot, you should successfully be rooted.

How to Radio S-Off & SimUnlock Your Desire HD - Thanks to jkoljo

2ldvnh2.gif

How to Flash recovery with ClockworkMod

1. Search Android Market for a free app called 'ROM Manager'. Once found, install it.
2. Once it has been installed, launch 'ROM Manager' on your phone.
3. In ROM Manager, tap 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery'. Tap on 'Desire HD' when it pops up.
4. Be patient as ClockworkMod is installed, as it can take quite some time. Once it has finished , you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone.

You should now have stock 1.32, root, S-off, and CWM Recovery.
You can now flash a ROM using Clockworkmod :)

2ldvnh2.gif

FAQs​

Q. How do I run CMD?

A. Windows Vista and 7 users: Press Start, type CMD. You should see CMD sppear, right click and 'Run as Administrator'. Windows XP users: Press Start, Press 'Run', type CMD, then click OK.

Q. How do I enable USB Debugging?

A. On your Desire HD go to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Enable USB Debugging

Q. Why do I keep getting CID error in bootloader?

A. This is most often a problem with your goldcard. First make sure you have created a goldcard using the guide at the top of this post. If you have created a goldcard, format the SDCard using FAT32 and try again making sure you have followed each step very carefully. Also, make sure you have the .bin file on your SDCard after doing the adb steps.

Q. When going into bootloader it says "no image or wrong image"

A. This message will be displayed when files it is looking for cannot be found. Leave it to continue and it will update. If it displays this message after searching for PD98IMG.zip, then the file is damaged or you do not have it on your SDCard.

Q. Do I have to disconnect the phone from the computer before booting into bootloader?

A. Yes....Simplez ;)

Q. I have tried many times to create the goldcard, but continue to get errors.

A. This could be because you are continuously making mistakes, or your SDCard cannot be made into a goldcard, try another SDCard.

More will be added when needed :)

2ldvnh2.gif

Please press Thanks :)

2ldvnh2.gif

Attachments

• DHDDowngrade.zip
    303 KB · Views: 49,849
Last edited:

ianyt77

Oct 22, 2006
reading
Thank you Thank you Thank you !!! Got it working and loaded LeeDroid's ROM

WOW You guys are great.... thanks to all who have spent so much time and effort to crack 2.37...

I'm not very good sometimes at understanding all this programming stuff but after a full day of messing and redoing ... IT WORKS!!!

YYYeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwww

Thanks again

aero star

ravian29

Jan 23, 2011
Does it matter?
4. Boot phone into Bootloader (hold volume down whilst power on), follow the steps and continue to update

what does this means ? i am in bootloader but can not see any update options, there are following options

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC

any help please

hero000

Jun 24, 2011
In my bedroom
4. Boot phone into Bootloader (hold volume down whilst power on), follow the steps and continue to update

what does this means ? i am in bootloader but can not see any update options, there are following options

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC

any help please
Don't change any thing as far as I know It'll boot into "Fastboot" incase if it didn't choose "FASTBOOT"

It'll check Recvoery, Tp , etc. I forgot to name them.

Follow CuBz90's guide it works 100%. I downgraded n rooted n now running custom ROM.

[Aek]

Nov 11, 2009
Sydney
Is there a way to gain root status in 2.37, so the phone can be backed up (via Titanium backup or similar) prior to the downgrade?
Failing that is there any other way to backup the phone?
I assume that when downgrading all data will be lost.

aypee3

Jan 31, 2009
kindly reupload the "Download this ROM - Mirror" link as whenever i click it i get
-
404 Page Not Found

The page you requested was not found.

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
Is there a way to gain root status in 2.37, so the phone can be backed up (via Titanium backup or similar) prior to the downgrade?
Failing that is there any other way to backup the phone?
I assume that when downgrading all data will be lost.

You can backup apps with MyBackup, but you cannot backup the data as 2.37 cannot be rooted

u2pop

Feb 1, 2008
Hellow, just want to confirmed it works! Happy happy joy joy! Thanks for all magicians here that made this possible!

jkoljo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
I have added the additional step of going to SoftBank ROM into the official downgrade guide :)

I am still looking forward to getting a proper, universal root method for 2.37, but this will do for the time being.

h_andria

Jan 2, 2011
after downgrade..

when into boatloader Hboot
i can find menu:

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC

but i can not select that...

just stuck

any help please?

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
Just leave it and it should start to update, if not, try factory reset first

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

Reactions: nikki2325

gagan01

Jun 14, 2011
chandigarh
I bought dhd when it was on 2.2.. so I rooted it and after some time made ota to 2.37 build.. now phone is s-0ff and its unbranded .. do I still need to make gold card.. jkoljo pls help ...

mechanical engineer

jkoljo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
Well this is not even my thread, why are you asking my help here? :p

Anyway, you do not need to make a goldcard, and you do not even need any downgrade guide. Just put stock 1.32.405.6 PD98IMG.zip (get it from my downgrade guide) into your SD card and reboot to bootloader. Accept the update and make a cup of coffee.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I CAN NO LONGER PROVIDE SUPPORT, NOR UPDATE THIS POST ANY MORE, AS I NO LONGER HAVE TIME DUE TO MOST OF MY TIME BEING SPENT AT WORK! SORRY
    If you need help that would only take me a few seconds to answer, contact me on twitter @cubz90

Here is a guide to Temproot and downgrade any HTC Desire HD Gingerbread Build
    This method has been confirmed working for all DHD Gingerbread builds!

Please could you post the Exploit address when successfully rooted with fre3vo. Thanks

Thanks go to:
    agrabren
    aswethinkweiz
    JSLEnterprises :)

Please make sure you have the phone's drivers installed on the computer you are using, otherwise this will not work.

2ldvnh2.gif

Temp Root:

1. Enable USB debugging on your phone and place your phone on CHARGE ONLY (If this doesn't work, try choosing 'HTC Sync' when connecting USB)
    2. Download the DHD Downgrade folder and extract it to the root of your hard drive (usually this is the "C:\" drive on your computer)
    3. Run the file named "RUN THIS FOR ROOT". A command prompt will open and will begin to do the adb steps for you.

Alternatively (If step 3 fails):

1. Open a command prompt (right click "Run as Administrator" is using Vista or W7) and locate the downgrade folder (type "CD C:\DHDDowngrade" minus the quotes in CMD)
    2. Run the below commands (be sure to press enter after each line)

adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start FBB00000 -end FFFFFFFF

If the scan hangs, just reboot your DHD and start again.

You may not get all the messages (due to flushing issues when we kill adb), but if you get kicked back to your system command prompt, try "adb shell"

If you see '#' you successfully have temproot.

2ldvnh2.gif

If you want to use Titanium Backup, you must do the following:

1. Download Busybox, su & fixsu.sh and Superuser.apk

2. Run the following commands in CMD...

adb push fixsu.sh /data/local/tmp
    adb push su /data/local/tmp
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fixsu.sh
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/su
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/busybox

3. Install Superuser.apk

4. Install Titanium Backup from the Market

5. Run the following commands in CMD:

adb shell
    # cd /data/local/tmp
    # ./fixsu.sh

If you see...
    rm failed for /system/bin/su Read-only file system
    ...ignore it

You can now use Titanium to backup all User Apps + Data (You can backup System apps too)
    If you don't want to go any further than rooting, and just want temproot to remove bloatware, you can also use Titanium backup to do that.
    Temproot will be enabled until phone is rebooted.

2ldvnh2.gif

Downgrade:

1. Create a goldcard:
    1. Format SDCard to FAT32

2. Download Goldcard Helper from Android Market

3. Open Goldcard Helper with the SDCard in the phone, and you will see the mmc2 reverse CID

Note: Do not use the Copy feature in the app as this will copy the wrong CID!​

Alternate to the Goldcard helper app:
    1. Open up a command prompt (Windows Key + R, type "CMD", press enter)
    2. connect your phone as "charge only" and have usb debugging enabled
    3. navigate the command prompt to the downgrade folder.
    4. Type the following command:
    adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2:*/cid
    5. Select and copy the cid

4. Go to http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard

5. Enter your email address and the mmc2 reverse CID that is showing on the Goldcard Helper app then submit it

6. The img file will be emailed to you, download and save it somewhere you will remember

7. Download this hex editor - http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

8. Open HxD hex editor on your computer by right-clicking it and clicking 'Run as Administrator'

9. Mount your SD card to your computer, preferably using a card reader but you can use your phone as well

10. Go to 'Extra' menu > 'Open Disk'. Select Removable Disk (which should be your SD card) under Physical Disk (and NOT logical disk), uncheck 'Open as Readonly' and click OK

11. Go to the 'Extra' > 'Open Disk Image' and open the goldcard image downloaded in Step 6. . Select '512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)' as the sector size when prompted and click OK

12. In the goldcard image tab, go to 'Edit' > 'Select All' and then 'Edit' >'Copy'

13. In the 'Removable Disk' tab, highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 including the 00000170 line and go to 'Edit' menu > 'Paste Write'

14. Click 'File' > 'Save' and accept any warning that you get

2. Place the stock 1.32 PD98IMG.zip on the root of your SDcard/Goldcard

4. Open the file in the folder named "RUN THIS FOR DOWNGRADE". The command prompt will opn and begin to do the adb steps for you.

Alternatively (If step 4 fails):

Run the below commands in CMD:

adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3
    adb reboot bootloader

5. You should see a white bootloader screen, press the power button to enter the bootloader and it should automatically start to detect the PD98IMG.zip file.
    6. You will see a blue progress bar on the right of the screen while the file is being checked. You should now be asked to confirm if you want to install this ROM, press 'Volume Up' to confirm. Wait patiently while the ROM is installed.
    7. Once the installation is complete, press the 'power' button to restart your phone.

You have successfully downgraded to stock 1.32 :)

2ldvnh2.gif

How to Root 1.32:

1. Download and install Visionary+ to your Desire HD
    2. Open Visionary+ and choose "Temproot now". The screen may go black and may become unresponsive, please allow it to finish.
    3. After temproot, choose "Attempt permroot now". This will attempt to permanently root your Desire HD. Your device should then reboot.
    4. After reboot, you should successfully be rooted.

How to Radio S-Off & SimUnlock Your Desire HD - Thanks to jkoljo

2ldvnh2.gif

How to Flash recovery with ClockworkMod

1. Search Android Market for a free app called 'ROM Manager'. Once found, install it.
    2. Once it has been installed, launch 'ROM Manager' on your phone.
    3. In ROM Manager, tap 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery'. Tap on 'Desire HD' when it pops up.
    4. Be patient as ClockworkMod is installed, as it can take quite some time. Once it has finished , you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone.

You should now have stock 1.32, root, S-off, and CWM Recovery.
    You can now flash a ROM using Clockworkmod :)

2ldvnh2.gif

FAQs​

Q. How do I run CMD?

A. Windows Vista and 7 users: Press Start, type CMD. You should see CMD sppear, right click and 'Run as Administrator'. Windows XP users: Press Start, Press 'Run', type CMD, then click OK.

Q. How do I enable USB Debugging?

A. On your Desire HD go to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Enable USB Debugging

Q. Why do I keep getting CID error in bootloader?

A. This is most often a problem with your goldcard. First make sure you have created a goldcard using the guide at the top of this post. If you have created a goldcard, format the SDCard using FAT32 and try again making sure you have followed each step very carefully. Also, make sure you have the .bin file on your SDCard after doing the adb steps.

Q. When going into bootloader it says "no image or wrong image"

A. This message will be displayed when files it is looking for cannot be found. Leave it to continue and it will update. If it displays this message after searching for PD98IMG.zip, then the file is damaged or you do not have it on your SDCard.

Q. Do I have to disconnect the phone from the computer before booting into bootloader?

A. Yes....Simplez ;)

Q. I have tried many times to create the goldcard, but continue to get errors.

A. This could be because you are continuously making mistakes, or your SDCard cannot be made into a goldcard, try another SDCard.

More will be added when needed :)

2ldvnh2.gif

Please press Thanks :)

2ldvnh2.gif
    @cash, since you're a telus user, im pretty sure you're running 2.43.661.1
    just do the first set of addresses (F0000000 to FFFFFFFF)
    Hi,

I'm following the instructionc, my CMD seems to hang (already 20 minutes and counting...) Any idea? Already started over (emptied my SD card again and copied the ZIP file again)

p.s. I'm also on the latest 2.50.405.2
    My computer is Windows 7 Enterprise (32 bit) and CMD is running as administator

THX

2ey8eut.png

Reboot your device and run these commands.

adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start F0000000 -end FFFFFFFF

if scanning those offsets doesnt work, then 20000000 to 2FFFFFFF
    Looking good...

After running:
    "apb shell" i'm getting the #
    I guess it's rooted! Working great on my fully updated stock Desire HD (2.50.405.2)!

now run
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.32.405.6

and reboot to bootloader to loadup the super exploitable image, so you can root, s-off, and eng s-off the device.

then update to 2.36.405.8 and run gingerbreak, and reboot. you're updated and rooted.
    Could you please explain the latest steps?:confused:

Visit My thread here
    Once 1.32 has finished installing, start at step 2 and run through the visionary method to root radio & eng s-off

then run the 2.36.405 ruu, install and run gingerbreak.
    reboot, and you're fully rooted on gingerbread.