[KERNEL] Gingerbread with EXT4 support and FS converter
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
As many people where demanding a Ext4 Kernel I created one and added a Filesystem conversion script.
This does only work on Gingerbread ROMs
cause the bootloader is different!
On Froyo it will cause the device not to boot into the normal android system. Don't flash it if you are not on a Gingerbread ROM.
I have tested it with KPH but it should work on all Gingbread ROMs that have a updated bootloader.
FS converter? WTF???
This converts (formats) all your internal partitions (system, data, cache) with Ext4.
This way you don't have to use RFS which performance is pretty poor.
How to install?
Follow those instructions otherwise all your data will be lost and i make fun of you!
- Install CWM (there some threads here how to do this)
- Make a Nandroid backup of your system (this is essential otherwise all your data will be lost!!!)
- Install the ext4-update.zip (this will format your partition into EXT4 and flash a new Kernel)
- Go into "mounts and storage" -> unmount cache (if it is mounted)
- Go to "backup and restore" -> "advanced restore"
- Choose the backup you made before -> Restore System & Data (cache is not needed it is rebuild on the next reboot)
- Don't panic (it will take some time to rebuild the dalvik cache,
just like the first boot after you flashed a new rom with ODIN)
This will install a Kernel that has EXT4 support and a modified init.rc to mount both ext4 and rfs partitions.
Ok enough talked, where can I get this ****? Here MD5: 369808990ff8d45065f0cdd8fbb3f8b8
WTH you bricked my Phone
This is impossible. Except your CWM is buggy. You phone doesn't boot up, you are stucked at the samsung logo?
Ok then we need some information from you. Did you hear the start-up sound the the samsung logo player?
How long did you wait?
Try to adb to the phone and give me the output from "mount" and "logcat" on pastebin.com pls.
Please tell us witch rom you were running. I am not sure if this will work with any custom rom cause i only tested stock
You can fully revert by flashing a Full ROM with ODIN. Then install cwm and restore the backup you created before.
How did you create this?
I simply build the kernel source added Ext4 support. Kernel source is on github
Then I created a new initramfs by dumping the stock one doing the modifications and repacking it. The Initramfs is also on github
. This should help anyone of you trying to the some on your custom kernel.