Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

How To Update Pre-Installed Swype to Swype Beta

OP michaelviper

5th July 2011, 01:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
I never really found a proper guide on how to update the Samsung Salaxy S pre-installed Swype and after figuring out how to do it i thought i'd share it with whoever needed it.

1) To update the pre-installed Swype to Swype beta you have to have root access or else this isn't going to work

2) Download "Root App Remover" and "Root Explorer" from the android market

3) Run Root App Remover (it will take a minute for it to initially scan the phone for system and user apps)

4) Using Root App Remover go to system apps scroll down to Swype tap it and press recycle, to completely uninstall it (which you have to do) press menu then "SystemApp Recycler" and uninstall it.

5) Run Root Explorer and press the "Mount R/W" button at the top if it isn't already selected, after that to go "system" folder then the "lib" folder and delete the file "libswypecore.so" (if it isn't there then go back into system and then back again)

6) After that go into the "data" folder then the "data" folder and delete "com.android.android.inputmethod" file (if its not there then quit root explorer)

7) After that go to the Swype Beta Website and register, go through all the various steps untill you've finished downloading and installing the Swype Installer.

8) Run Swype Installer and go through all the steps, then download and install the Swype Beta, generate the license using the installer and your done the newest Swype beta is now installed one you Samsung Galaxy S

Sorry if this guide is too long i just tried to explain it in detail. I Hope this guide helped you install the newest Swype beta, if you have any questions feel free to ask i'll get back to you as soon as possible.

ENJOY SWYPING!!!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to michaelviper For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th July 2011, 02:01 AM   |  #2  
rewen's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Burlington
Thanks Meter: 10
 
160 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Thanks for the guide. I used Titanium to remove the old version. After a reboot the new one installed just fine
The Following User Says Thank You to rewen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th July 2011, 02:49 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 63
 
527 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Do u find the swype 3 beta much better than what came with our phones? I'm on jsd.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
5th July 2011, 03:14 AM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 1
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewen

Thanks for the guide. I used Titanium to remove the old version. After a reboot the new one installed just fine

Same here, Titanium worked like a charm. A one-step approach...

Sent from my GT-I9000B using Tapatalk
5th July 2011, 04:59 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 253
 
1,461 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Donate to Me
More
What are the new features of beta?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
5th July 2011, 03:14 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
just titanium and stay safe
5th July 2011, 03:40 PM   |  #7  
rewen's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Burlington
Thanks Meter: 10
 
160 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by goughymachine

Do u find the swype 3 beta much better than what came with our phones? I'm on jsd.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

It seems quite a bit faster and the horizontal word choice bar is so much better than the intrusive popup list. I like it a lot more than the stock version.
5th July 2011, 03:56 PM   |  #8  
Member
Flag Rochdale
Thanks Meter: 15
 
76 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Well i have just found the answer to a question i posted a while back:

What happened to BlindType?

The answer is here. Swype now incorporates many of the features that BlindType had including the movable keyboard!
22nd October 2011, 08:45 PM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Thanks, your method worked...





Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelviper

I never really found a proper guide on how to update the Samsung Salaxy S pre-installed Swype and after figuring out how to do it i thought i'd share it with whoever needed it.

1) To update the pre-installed Swype to Swype beta you have to have root access or else this isn't going to work

2) Download "Root App Remover" and "Root Explorer" from the android market

3) Run Root App Remover (it will take a minute for it to initially scan the phone for system and user apps)

4) Using Root App Remover go to system apps scroll down to Swype tap it and press recycle, to completely uninstall it (which you have to do) press menu then "SystemApp Recycler" and uninstall it.

5) Run Root Explorer and press the "Mount R/W" button at the top if it isn't already selected, after that to go "system" folder then the "lib" folder and delete the file "libswypecore.so" (if it isn't there then go back into system and then back again)

6) After that go into the "data" folder then the "data" folder and delete "com.android.android.inputmethod" file (if its not there then quit root explorer)

7) After that go to the Swype Beta Website and register, go through all the various steps untill you've finished downloading and installing the Swype Installer.

8) Run Swype Installer and go through all the steps, then download and install the Swype Beta, generate the license using the installer and your done the newest Swype beta is now installed one you Samsung Galaxy S

Sorry if this guide is too long i just tried to explain it in detail. I Hope this guide helped you install the newest Swype beta, if you have any questions feel free to ask i'll get back to you as soon as possible.

ENJOY SWYPING!!!

25th October 2011, 10:09 AM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Kuopio
Thanks Meter: 17
 
133 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
The easiest way:

1) Gain root
2) Install Super Manager (from Market)
3) Enable root mode on Super Manger (under Settings)
4) Delete Swype (APK-Manager -> search for swype -> long press and delete),
5) Reboot
6) Install Swype Beta

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes