XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Changing CDMA

Tip us?

nocode99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Changing CDMA

I recently messed up my HTC Incredible and thinking about getting this phone off ebay/craigslist. My question is, is it easy to change the CDMA from phone to phone? I wasn't able to really see any instructions online specifically for these phones. Also, am I obligated to get a 4G enabled on the phone from Verizon?

Thanks

ProTekk
Old
Thanks Meter 1200

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocode99 View Post
I recently messed up my HTC Incredible and thinking about getting this phone off ebay/craigslist. My question is, is it easy to change the CDMA from phone to phone? I wasn't able to really see any instructions online specifically for these phones. Also, am I obligated to get a 4G enabled on the phone from Verizon?

Thanks
Yes and yes.
HTC DROID Incredible - Retired
HTC Thunderbolt - AOKP Jellybean Build 2
HTC DROID Incredible 2 - Retired
HTC Rezound - Retired
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - AOKP Jellybean Build 2
HP TouchPad 32 GB - Retired
ASUS Nexus 7 - AOKP Jellybean Build 2
Samsung Galaxy S III - AOKP Jellybean Build 2
http://www.twitter.com/ProTekkFZS

nocode99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks - are there any tutorials on changing CDMAs? I'm having a hard time finding anything through Google.

ProTekk
Old
Thanks Meter 1200

DONATE TO ME
What exactly do you mean by "changing CDMA's?" Do you mean switching the phones out on your line?
HTC Rezound - Retired

nocode99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Yeah - I want to switch my line from the old incredible into a new phone. Should I just go to Verizon and have them program the new phone?

g00s3y
Old
Thanks Meter 144

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocode99 View Post
Thanks - are there any tutorials on changing CDMAs? I'm having a hard time finding anything through Google.
CDMA != GSM

I believe you might be confusing swapping out a SIM card for transferring your number to another phone. You can get the phone off of eBay or CL, go to your local VZW store, and just have them transfer your number to your new phone. I believe the TB should come with the 4G LTE SIM card (has nothing to do with a GSM SIM card). If not I'm sure when you go to VZW to activate the phone that they will give you one there.
Sprint HTC One - Rooted & Unlocked
Sprint Moto X - Rooted & Unlocked

ProTekk
Old
Thanks Meter 1200

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00s3y View Post
CDMA != GSM

I believe you might be confusing swapping out a SIM card for transferring your number to another phone. You can get the phone off of eBay or CL, go to your local VZW store, and just have them transfer your number to your new phone. I believe the TB should come with the 4G LTE SIM card (has nothing to do with a GSM SIM card). If not I'm sure when you go to VZW to activate the phone that they will give you one there.

I'd recommend going to Verizon because you need to get a SIM card to activate the device anyway. Head over there and tell them that you're switching your DInc out for the Thunderbolt and that you need a SIM for it. They can activate it on the spot for you.

Even if he did get a SIM card with it, that SIM is not tied to his number. I'd still suggest going to Verizon and letting them handle the situation.
HTC Rezound - Retired

mr_schticker
Old
Thanks Meter 1
As someone who just purchased a TB this way I can confirm: just walk into a corporate Vzw store and they'll give you a new sim (free) and activate your phone.
Kind of annoying having a sim like that, we used to be able to change equipment on he fly through Vzw.com or over the phone.

RunNgun42
Old
Thanks Meter 37
VZW's 4G phones still use ESN numbers too. The sim is just to get access to the 4G network. You will want to make sure the phone you are buying has a clean ESN number. If VZW has it flagged as stolen or something, they wont activate the phone for you and there's nothing you can do.