Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Changing CDMA

OP nocode99

5th July 2011, 03:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

125 posts
I recently messed up my HTC Incredible and thinking about getting this phone off ebay/craigslist. My question is, is it easy to change the CDMA from phone to phone? I wasn't able to really see any instructions online specifically for these phones. Also, am I obligated to get a 4G enabled on the phone from Verizon?

Thanks
5th July 2011, 03:16 PM   |  #2  
Flag Freehold, NJ
Thanks Meter: 1,250

889 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocode99

I recently messed up my HTC Incredible and thinking about getting this phone off ebay/craigslist. My question is, is it easy to change the CDMA from phone to phone? I wasn't able to really see any instructions online specifically for these phones. Also, am I obligated to get a 4G enabled on the phone from Verizon?

Thanks

Yes and yes.
5th July 2011, 03:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

125 posts
Thanks - are there any tutorials on changing CDMAs? I'm having a hard time finding anything through Google.
5th July 2011, 04:37 PM   |  #4  
Flag Freehold, NJ

889 posts
Donate to Me
More
What exactly do you mean by "changing CDMA's?" Do you mean switching the phones out on your line?
5th July 2011, 04:38 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

125 posts
Yeah - I want to switch my line from the old incredible into a new phone. Should I just go to Verizon and have them program the new phone?
5th July 2011, 04:40 PM   |  #6  
Flag Cape Coral
Thanks Meter: 145

1,606 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocode99

Thanks - are there any tutorials on changing CDMAs? I'm having a hard time finding anything through Google.

CDMA != GSM

I believe you might be confusing swapping out a SIM card for transferring your number to another phone. You can get the phone off of eBay or CL, go to your local VZW store, and just have them transfer your number to your new phone. I believe the TB should come with the 4G LTE SIM card (has nothing to do with a GSM SIM card). If not I'm sure when you go to VZW to activate the phone that they will give you one there.
5th July 2011, 04:41 PM   |  #7  
Flag Freehold, NJ

889 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00s3y

CDMA != GSM

I believe you might be confusing swapping out a SIM card for transferring your number to another phone. You can get the phone off of eBay or CL, go to your local VZW store, and just have them transfer your number to your new phone. I believe the TB should come with the 4G LTE SIM card (has nothing to do with a GSM SIM card). If not I'm sure when you go to VZW to activate the phone that they will give you one there.

I'd recommend going to Verizon because you need to get a SIM card to activate the device anyway. Head over there and tell them that you're switching your DInc out for the Thunderbolt and that you need a SIM for it. They can activate it on the spot for you.

Even if he did get a SIM card with it, that SIM is not tied to his number. I'd still suggest going to Verizon and letting them handle the situation.
5th July 2011, 05:29 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
As someone who just purchased a TB this way I can confirm: just walk into a corporate Vzw store and they'll give you a new sim (free) and activate your phone.
Kind of annoying having a sim like that, we used to be able to change equipment on he fly through Vzw.com or over the phone.
5th July 2011, 07:32 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 58

476 posts
VZW's 4G phones still use ESN numbers too. The sim is just to get access to the 4G network. You will want to make sure the phone you are buying has a clean ESN number. If VZW has it flagged as stolen or something, they wont activate the phone for you and there's nothing you can do.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread