5,598,820 Members 32,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Make your own cables

Tip us?

ericlmccormick
Old
(Last edited by ericlmccormick; 6th September 2011 at 05:53 PM.) Reason: added numbers to used pins
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Default Make your own cables

So far I have learned how to make a USB host cable and a universal charging cable. I have shared this in a few post but I figured it would be good to have them all in one place with a diagram.

I will update this drawing as I learn how to build the other cables.

Thanks goes out to pokey9000 for sharing how to do the USB host and nudging me the right way for figuring out the charging!

Update:
I guess the titles of each is not enough to properly relay what each does so here is a quick description of each.
1. USB Host - Puts the Tab into host mode so that you can use items like thumb drives and keyboards. If you want to use a USB powered hard drive, you will need to use a powered hub.
2. USB Host w/ Power - Puts the Tab into host mode but also allows you to charge the unit at the same time.
3. Universal Charging - For making a 30-pin cable that will let you charge your Tab off any 5V source so that you don't get the red X over the battery. When doing this, data transfers will not work.
4. Universal Charging Inline cable - For if you don't want to buy a 30pin connector or cut up your OEM cable, you can put this in line with your OEM cable and use any 5V source.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to ericlmccormick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

used2hvatreo
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlmccormick View Post
So far I have learned how to make a USB host cable and a universal charging cable. I have shared this in a few post but I figured it would be good to have them all in one place with a diagram.

I will update this drawing as I learn how to build the other cables.

Thanks goes out to pokey9000 for sharing how to do the USB host and nudging me the right way for figuring out the charging!

Image link is broken, and I'm crazy interested in this. Can't wait to see it when its up. Good Job man

ericlmccormick
Old
(Last edited by ericlmccormick; 6th July 2011 at 03:48 AM.) Reason: Update
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
It is my first time linking a picture which you can't just upload, you need to link to an existing online photo.

I think I fixed the problem use ImageShack but if you still have issues viewing, use the below link

GT Cable layouts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ericlmccormick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

used2hvatreo
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlmccormick View Post
It is my first time linking a picture which you can't just upload, you need to link to an existing online photo.

Try going here. Hopefully this works for you.

GT Cable layouts
Worked perfectly, thanks. This stuff is so interesting, I can't wait to get home and play

dwa012
Old
Thanks Meter 5
do you have a picture of a real example of the USB host w/power

ericlmccormick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa012 View Post
do you have a picture of a real example of the USB host w/power
Not yet. I haven't built the USB host cable myself as my connectors are in the mail. I built that diagram from a mixture of what pokey9000 discovered plus what the pin outs are for the OEM cable.

Hopefully by the end of the week I will get the connector and will build this into a project enclosure which will also have a switch to change this between charge only, USB slave and USB host.

thatdude90210
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Cool. Seems like it would be easier to just grab a few of these cables, cut the cable and connect rather than soldering to the naked connectors from Kineteka.

ericlmccormick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude90210 View Post
Cool. Seems like it would be easier to just grab a few of these cables, cut the cable and connect rather than soldering to the naked connectors from Kineteka.
Mostly likely, like the OEM cable, the connector is not fully populated. You would be able to easily make a charge only cable the will charge off anything, but to do other things like USB hosting, you need another pin, or rearrange the pins that are there which are probably a pain to do too.

thatdude90210
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Ah, true. Most likely lot of those pins don't have wires connected.

davehries
Old
Thanks Meter 1
This is good stuff. I am looking forward to learning more. Thanks you for doing this.