Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 46,565 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Make your own cables

Tip us?

_strauch_
Old
Thanks Meter 59
anyone checked this cable? http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTG-USB-Adap.../360569066713? I hope it is not toooo offtopic .

Aliendex
Old
(Last edited by Aliendex; 22nd March 2013 at 06:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
Hello people,

I need to make a box that contain a "full-optional" docking station for my P3100, is this scheme a good start?

Because i need 2/3/4 usb host ports at the same time I decided to buy/dismember/integrate a USB HUB with an external power supply, so i put it in the scheme to make clear that component is in the dock and not outside!

What do you think? Does it work in a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100?

Sorry for the white (DATA- ) cable
LG Optimus One P500 -> from Stock to CM7.2 to CM9 to CM10

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0" GT-P3100 -> from Stock to CM10 to AOKP to PAC
I'm in love with the Sony Xperia Z Ultra
The Following User Says Thank You to Aliendex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

renatobs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by _strauch_ View Post
anyone checked this cable? [Can't post links yet] I hope it is not toooo offtopic .
Hey, did you buy the cable? I am interested in it too!

Thanks in advance,

Andromepat
Old
(Last edited by Andromepat; 5th April 2013 at 08:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Hey guys,

I want to use my Tab as a retro game console. I use the 7" Tab's Dock with the 10.1 holder, everything fits and HDMI output works fine. I can plug my XBOX360 Wireless USB Receiver into the dock and this works too. But HDMI needs power to work.

Is it possible to mod a 30pin-to-USB cable as shown in the opening post, wiring diagram "USB Host with power" and use this one plugged into the dock. Don't want to open the dock and mod it inside.

Add: So I worked through the whole thread (puh) and think, that these posts by THEDEVIOUS1 and MRBR7 in combination with emil_b's photos will lead to success.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatobs View Post
Hey, did you buy the cable? I am interested in it too!

Thanks in advance,
Have not tested this, but it's just a 30pin-to-USB and a hub - all in one cable. Don't think there can be any issues.

MRBR7
Old
(Last edited by MRBR7; 13th April 2013 at 12:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 31

bobn4burton
Old
Thanks Meter 1
So I'm interested in a USB Host (OTG) plus charging. From the first post and the bit of thread scanning...it appears this is possible. Couple questions:

1. Does the 30 pin connector pin-out and possible cable options from the first post work on the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1?
2. When doing USB Host + Charging, does the tablet charge in slow mode (trickle) or does it charge in fast charge mode?
3. Where is the best place to buy the 30 pin connectors in the US if I was going to make my own cable?

Thanks...!!

MRBR7
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Yes the charge and host at same time Does work..Ive confirmed it here already as have many others..
It charges as "AC charging" which is full speed (not trickle)..

Yes will work with most tabs only one i know of that wont work is older model origonal 7"
10.1,8.9,7.7 works..

Best place to buy 30 pin plug is online from "Kinetica"..

My advice would be to buy a "Break out board for Galaxy tab"..from Kinetica site..
Or can modify a Dock but Break out Board would be easier to solder as bigger....

have fun and post up some pics when you do it..

Andromepat
Old
Thanks Meter 4
@MRBR7: I thought about something like the diagram attached. ( = Port no.)
ASCII wiring diagrams rule!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chargeNusbNhdmi.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1866790  

bobn4burton
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBR7 View Post
Yes the charge and host at same time Does work..Ive confirmed it here already as have many others..
It charges as "AC charging" which is full speed (not trickle)..

Yes will work with most tabs only one i know of that wont work is older model origonal 7"
10.1,8.9,7.7 works..

Best place to buy 30 pin plug is online from "Kinetica"..

My advice would be to buy a "Break out board for Galaxy tab"..from Kinetica site..
Or can modify a Dock but Break out Board would be easier to solder as bigger....

have fun and post up some pics when you do it..
Cool...thanks for answering my questions so quickly! I guess I have one more question before before I start buying parts. There isn't anyway to get USB Host + Charging with a standard cable (or even one from ebay)? Perhaps using a normal OTG cable with a kernel mod or something (ala Nexus 7)?

Just wanted to verify there wasn't an easier method before I start modding up my own cable...

Thanks again...
The Following User Says Thank You to bobn4burton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Andromepat
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobn4burton View Post
Cool...thanks for answering my questions so quickly! I guess I have one more question before before I start buying parts. There isn't anyway to get USB Host + Charging with a standard cable (or even one from ebay)? Perhaps using a normal OTG cable with a kernel mod or something (ala Nexus 7)?

Just wanted to verify there wasn't an easier method before I start modding up my own cable...

Thanks again...
That's what I'm aiming at. Cutting a standard data cable in two and then applying a "circuit" (it's just putting the right wire together and adding one resistor) according the wiring diagram in the opening post. Would be nice, but I'm quite afraid of breaking my Tab.