Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,772 Members 52,044 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Make your own cables

Tip us?

dwa012
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I had a brain fart.

I know what the usb host w/ power cable would look like. I have parts orderd for the host mode configuration. I hopefully await a hdmi/usb-host cable.

snaai8
Old
Thanks Meter 6
First off, thanks for this awesome discovery !

But I've still got some questions..
what is the difference between the usb host and the usb host w. charging?
And what should the universal charger do?
Thanks!

ericlmccormick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaai8 View Post
First off, thanks for this awesome discovery !

But I've still got some questions..
what is the difference between the usb host and the usb host w. charging?
And what should the universal charger do?
Thanks!
The USB host should be pretty much the same as the OEM dongle. The host with power should allow you to charge the unit when also attached to a power supply. I have not tested this but I expect should work without a problem. The reason people might just opt to not have the power is to make a smaller package.

The universal charge cable puts the unit into charge mode no matter what your 5VDC power source is. Without this, you must use the OEM charger (or aftermarket adapter) else get a red X over the battery.

jeffcrilly
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Anyone know if it would be possible to hack a USB port into the multimedia-dock? It has the 30pin male and female.. probably passthru.. I've yet to take it apart (I suspect there are screws on the bottom). Anyhow I figure the dock should work with the USB adapter, so maybe all the wires are there inside the base. Then it would just be a matter of adding a female USB (with appropriate resistor). And possibly this would allow charging, audio, etc WITH USB attached. Best part is that multimedia docks are available at local bestbuy, etc.

alternatively, i'm considering a keyboard <sigh>.. but only if usb host mode works with it.

-jeff

cleblanc92
Old
(Last edited by cleblanc92; 7th July 2011 at 03:07 AM.) Reason: clarifications...
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcrilly View Post
Anyone know if it would be possible to hack a USB port into the multimedia-dock? It has the 30pin male and female.. probably passthru.. I've yet to take it apart (I suspect there are screws on the bottom). Anyhow I figure the dock should work with the USB adapter, so maybe all the wires are there inside the base. Then it would just be a matter of adding a female USB (with appropriate resistor). And possibly this would allow charging, audio, etc WITH USB attached. Best part is that multimedia docks are available at local bestbuy, etc.

alternatively, i'm considering a keyboard <sigh>.. but only if usb host mode works with it.

-jeff

I have the dock and like this idea...I will check out it's assembly in a bit and reply back.
<cell>LG G2 (VZ)</cell>
<help>If I was helpful please considering buying me a Pepsi by donating. Thanks!</help>

cleblanc92
Old
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
UPDATE: YUP (4) philips screws under the pad on the bottom. Will try to get a pic posted.[/QUOTE]

guts attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1639
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	647597   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1421
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	647598  
<cell>LG G2 (VZ)</cell>
<help>If I was helpful please considering buying me a Pepsi by donating. Thanks!</help>

davehries
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Great! I am looking forward to seeing just how you do this.

FrezoreR
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I want know how one would do the hdmi cable, will that be hard to reverse engineer?
Samsung Galaxy SIII << HTC One X << Samsung Galaxy S

cleblanc92
Old
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
This dock is suppose to allow either the HDMI or the USB connector to plug in the back so that means it does pass all this through. This is going to be interesting....
<cell>LG G2 (VZ)</cell>

snaai8
Old
Thanks Meter 6
okay a few questions again..

Would it be hard to make a usb keyboard work on the tab (like cutting up the usb cable and replacing it with a 30pin dock connector?)?

And how much effort would it take to create a hdmi out? or a normal video out if possible..? Because I actually need an old video out port but on the samsung site is says that the video out represented is not compatible with the 10.1..

and where do you solder everything on? I've yet to find a picture of the 30pin connector which tells you where to solder..
Where would I solder in this image? http://shop.kineteka.com/images/thumbs/0000564.jpeg
Or should I just get a tab-out like this:
http://shop.kineteka.com/products/20...bbreakout.aspx