Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,266 Members 41,479 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Make your own cables

Tip us?

ericlmccormick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaai8 View Post
okay a few questions again..

Would it be hard to make a usb keyboard work on the tab (like cutting up the usb cable and replacing it with a 30pin dock connector?)?

And how much effort would it take to create a hdmi out? or a normal video out if possible..? Because I actually need an old video out port but on the samsung site is says that the video out represented is not compatible with the 10.1..

and where do you solder everything on? I've yet to find a picture of the 30pin connector which tells you where to solder..
Where would I solder in this image? http://shop.kineteka.com/images/thumbs/0000564.jpeg
Or should I just get a tab-out like this:
http://shop.kineteka.com/products/20...bbreakout.aspx
If you want to take a USB keyboard and make it work, the easiest thing for a beginner would be to get the tab breakout connector and then solder the wires as shown in the diagram. If you don't have a female connector, you can cut off the male connector from the keyboard and just match up the colors.
Only get the other connector if you have a way to ohm out the pins so you know what is what, have a good soldering iron with a fine tip, and also have a steady hand. I got my connectors in the mail last night and I can probably take a picture and specify the pin layout if you like.

As for the HDMI, I am not sure yet. Seems like either no one has an adapter or if they do, don't want to share what the insides look like. For the older tab, it had one pin for standard video, but HDMI has 19 pins so either a lot of pins on the 30pin connector get reassigned in some way, or there might be some type of chip that does the conversion. I don't know enough about HDMI to make a proper assessment at this point. I hope someone with an actual adapter will chime in soon.

ericlmccormick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleblanc92 View Post
UPDATE: YUP (4) philips screws under the pad on the bottom. Will try to get a pic posted.
guts attached...[/QUOTE]

I am really surprised at how much wasted space there is in there. Good news is that it gives me plenty of room to install a female USB A(host) and a female USB mini(slave) , hdmi out, a switch and the circuitry. Might even shove a hub and a card reader in there.

davehries
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Your the man!

Sholland91
Old
Thanks Meter 1
what if I wanted to make a cable that would allow audio out and charging from a cigarette outlet for my car? I'm trying to make a car dock and I don't really want to spend 30 dollars on the media dock and another 20 for a car charger and cable. I already have the connector from kinecta

thanks

pokey9000
Old
Thanks Meter 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sholland91 View Post
what if I wanted to make a cable that would allow audio out and charging from a cigarette outlet for my car? I'm trying to make a car dock and I don't really want to spend 30 dollars on the media dock and another 20 for a car charger and cable. I already have the connector from kinecta

thanks
When I was poking around in the kernel code to figure out how USB host is turned on, I found that there is a car kit mode. I'm guessing this is what you want. You're on your own to find the magic resistor value though.

Sholland91
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey9000 View Post
When I was poking around in the kernel code to figure out how USB host is turned on, I found that there is a car kit mode. I'm guessing this is what you want. You're on your own to find the magic resistor value though.
sounds like fun. As far as just audio out is concerned, do I need to do anything other than connect it to a 3.5mm female headphone jack (resistors?)

thanks

e.mote
Old
Thanks Meter 864
@OP

Suggest you post a request to the mod for this to be stickied.

5thElement
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 18
Everything looks great but what is the Universal Charging schematics for? What the heck is universal charging?

Entropy512
Old
(Last edited by Entropy512; 12th July 2011 at 01:27 PM.) Reason: 9280, not 9480
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24090

DONATE TO ME
It's a small adapter that will cause the Tab to try and charge from anything that provides +5v to the power rails of the USB connector.

For example, if you connect the Tab to an iPad charger, it won't charge. If you connect the "universal charging" adapter in between, it will.

As to magic resistor values - I'll look into what chip they use to detect the resistors. Maybe we get lucky and they use the same FSA9280 as in the GalaxyS/Infuse phones. (Edit: not likely for that chip though.)
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

5thElement
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 18
Thanks for the info.

Any schematics for HDMI?