FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Aftermarket Chargers Causing Damage?

52 posts
Thanks Meter: 2
 
By mail_e60, Member on 6th July 2011, 09:02 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I am wondering if anyone has heard of aftermarket (non OEM) chargers causing damage to the Galaxy Tab. I bought a cheap car charger from China (via ebay), and it works but the charger heats up A LOT when it is plugged in.

My concern is the charger causing damage. Any thoughts?
 
 
7th July 2011, 03:27 AM |#2  
TheATHEiST's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 921
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail_e60

I am wondering if anyone has heard of aftermarket (non OEM) chargers causing damage to the Galaxy Tab. I bought a cheap car charger from China (via ebay), and it works but the charger heats up A LOT when it is plugged in.

My concern is the charger causing damage. Any thoughts?


Ofcourse it can/will.

Do not buy anything cheap/electrical from ebay that comes from China. Even the SD cards are fake, ie branding aswell as size.
7th July 2011, 12:06 PM |#3  
pw12f338c's Avatar
Junior Member
Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail_e60

I am wondering if anyone has heard of aftermarket (non OEM) chargers causing damage to the Galaxy Tab. I bought a cheap car charger from China (via ebay), and it works but the charger heats up A LOT when it is plugged in.

My concern is the charger causing damage. Any thoughts?

As I know car charger about 12v output, our tab charging with 5v = normal usb can offer.
I think the device being heat up and for a period of time could cause damage, pls justify if I am wrong.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App
8th July 2011, 09:26 AM |#4  
Declan79's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Padang
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
yes, some product (aftermarket) had a different power supply rather than oem one, it may potentially supply a different electric input to the device
10th July 2011, 02:05 AM |#5  
Twister997's Avatar
Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
You want to make sure that it has the same volt/amp output, but even if it does i'd be wary of it heating up too much
10th August 2011, 05:27 AM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I don't think there's much risk to the Tab. The output of the various USB chargers (car, wall wart, etc.) is regulated at 5V, and they're usually rated at half an amp.

HOWEVER! The Samsung USB charger is rated to deliver 5V at TWO AMPS (mine is). Obviously, the Tab draws more than the half amp of a normal USB circuit. So, if you plug the Tab into a typical USB circuit, which was designed to deliver half an amp, something bad will happen - like an internal meltdown.

An inadequate charger might be damaged by heat due to excess current flow, but not the tablet.

But what do I know...?
16th August 2011, 09:57 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noguru

HOWEVER! The Samsung USB charger is rated to deliver 5V at TWO AMPS (mine is). Obviously, the Tab draws more than the half amp of a normal USB circuit. So, if you plug the Tab into a typical USB circuit, which was designed to deliver half an amp, something bad will happen - like an internal meltdown.

An inadequate charger might be damaged by heat due to excess current flow, but not the tablet.

But what do I know...?

The Samsung charger seems to refuse to power other devices, which is mildly annoying. There are plenty of USB devices which can handle more than 500mA, Blackberries for example, and generally speaking chargers won't offer more amperage than the device asks for.

And a lower-amp charger won't be damaged, as it simply won't be able to give more than the rated amperage. It'll just charge your Tab much more slowly
20th August 2011, 03:58 PM |#8  
Declan79's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Padang
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Perhaps it could be considered


Has a same voltage(it said), using 4pcs AA battery, save us while far away from charging

sent from my 2.3.3|dxkg3 DJGalaxy S2
22nd August 2011, 05:05 PM |#9  
waltibaba's Avatar
Member
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noguru

I don't think there's much risk to the Tab. The output of the various USB chargers (car, wall wart, etc.) is regulated at 5V, and they're usually rated at half an amp.

HOWEVER! The Samsung USB charger is rated to deliver 5V at TWO AMPS (mine is). Obviously, the Tab draws more than the half amp of a normal USB circuit. So, if you plug the Tab into a typical USB circuit, which was designed to deliver half an amp, something bad will happen - like an internal meltdown.

An inadequate charger might be damaged by heat due to excess current flow, but not the tablet.

But what do I know...?

A standard PC USB gives 5V at 500mA or 0.5A. Why would a car charger giving the same cause internal meltdown? If you plug the SGT into a PC with the data cable it doesn't suffer internal meltdown either... The SGT definitely has an internal charge controller and overcharge protector so there is really no danger. Unless its a cheap chinese product that either has power surges (unlikely) or incorrect voltage (or extreme current like 5A or so...). To be sure, check the outputs with a multimeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan79

Perhaps it could be considered


Has a same voltage(it said), using 4pcs AA battery, save us while far away from charging

sent from my 2.3.3|dxkg3 DJGalaxy S2

That is a TERRIBLE idea! I suggest you stop immediately! If you're unlucky you could really screw up electronic components in your tab. Unless I am missing something like voltage/current regulation in the battery adapter. Is there a pcb in the battery case or is it just wired directly to the usb? And have you ever actually done the math on the voltage? 1.5V x 4 = 6V or with rechargeables, 1.2 x 4 = 4.8V, not 5V!! Although a cell/battery alone usually won't mind that difference, you are sending electricity through complex electronics, not directly charging the battery. The Tab is expecting 5V exactly and stepping up/down the voltage accordingly (to 3.7 or 7.4V for the internal Li battery).

Tl;dr
@ noguru: check your outputs with a multimeter,
@ Declan79: I suggest you stop using that contraption at once! (for your own good)
27th August 2011, 04:59 PM |#10  
Declan79's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Padang
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Even it only using 4pcs aa battery?

sent from my 2.3.3|dxkg3 DJGalaxy S2
29th August 2011, 02:35 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan79

Even it only using 4pcs aa battery?

sent from my 2.3.3|dxkg3 DJGalaxy S2

If the output is not a stiff 5v, then I would not use it.
I am using a cheap ebay charger, but it does output a good 5v at 2amps. That is the only thing that really matters. It doesnt get too hot. If a charger gets too hot you can bet that it will not have a long life and you hope that when it dies it doesnt take your Gtab with it.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes