[FIX] Wireless N on Evo 4.24.651.1 and 4.53.651.1 ROM

OP MultiDev

7th July 2011, 09:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 173

376 posts
More
As many of you know, wireless N support was removed in all the GB updates for the Evo (both the 4.22 and 4.24 stock ROMs lack Wireless N support). The newest OTA, 4.53, also lacks wireless n support.

Luckily, xHausx has kindly modified the stock driver to include N support. He provided me a copy of the driver and I turned it into a flashable zip.

This zip has been tested by me on the stock 4.24 deodexed ROM provided by xHausx available here. It should work on odexed version as well as any other 4.24 based ROM (like Fresh EVO 4.2 etc.). The 4.53 zip has been tested on the stock OTA 4.53 available here.

For 4.53 ROMs, please use the zips labeled with 4.53 instead of 4.24. The 4.53 zips have been kindly provided by ca1ne.

ALL OF THE FOLLOWING METHODS REQUIRE THE REPLACEMENT OF A DRIVER. NANDROID BEFORE APPLYING.

----Method 1: Flashing the zip----
-Turn off wifi.
-Reboot into recovery.
-Flash the zip '4.24 WiFi N fix-signed.zip' or '4.53 Wifi N signed.zip' provided below. If you use Clockwork 3/5 Recovery, it does not support amend scripting. You will need to use the edify version instead. Simply download '4.24_WiFi_N_fix_Edify_2011_0713_signed.zip', provided courtesy of Smurph82**. The 4.53 should work with Clockwork 3/5 Recovery. The zip will wipe cache and dalvik cache, so the initial boot will take a few minutes longer. Be patient.*
-Reboot.

----Method 2: Manually replacing the driver----
This method is for those that do not want to flash a zip or cannot get the zip to flash.
-Download and extract the right zip file for your ROM. All 4.24 zips and 4.53 zips are labeled as such. Either zip should give you a 'bcm4329.ko' file.
-Move the 'bcm4329.ko' file to SD card on your Evo.
-Disable wifi.
-Open Root explorer (or similar file utility with system partition capabilities)
-Navigate to '/system/lib/modules'
-(Optional) Rename 'bcm4329.ko' to 'bcm4329.ko.bak'.
-Now move the downloaded 'bcm4329.ko' from your SD card to '/system/lib/modules'.
-Change the permission of 'bcm4329.ko' to 'rw-r--r--'. It should match the permission of all the other files in the folder.
-Reboot to recovery.
-Wipe dalvik cache and cache.*
-Reboot.

*I'm not sure wiping the caches is absolutely necessary, but do it just in case to prevent any problems.

**The edify version should work now. Thanks for the help, Smurph82.
Last edited by MultiDev; 22nd September 2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: added 4.53 support
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MultiDev For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th July 2011, 09:28 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 173

376 posts
More
----Compatible ROMs----
This fix has been confirmed as working on the following ROMs:
-Stock 4.24 ROM deodexed (linked to above)
-Stock 4.53 ROM deodexed (linked to above)
-Synergy RC1
-Fresh Evo 4.2

*I'm going to stop updating this list as most ROM chefs are baking this fix into their ROMs. If your ROM does include this fix and this fix works on that ROM, please reply to this thread or PM me with the name and version of the ROM and I will add it to this list.

----FAQ:----
What will this fix work on?
This fix is for 4.24 or 4.53 sense based ROMs only using the HTC #1 kernel. The driver is kernel specfic. If you or your ROM uses a custom kernel, do NOT flash this. It will break your wifi. Most custom kernels like Freedom already include wifi n support.

I have CM7, MIUI, or some random ASOP ROM. Will this fix work on those ROMs?
It will NOT work on CM7/ASOP ROMs at all. Do NOT flash this onto a non-sense ROM. CM7 already has Wifi N support build into the ROM. Flashing this on an ASOP will break wifi on that ROM and who knows what else.

I tested my internet speeds using the speedtest.net app (or similar). My speed hasn't changed after this fix. Why?
Speedtest (and similar) tests your WAN speed; basically how fast your internet connection is. The only way to increase your internet speed is to call up your ISP and upgrade your internet package. Now some of you lucky bastards might have FIOS or Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 in which case your WAN speed is higher than the max speeds possible on Wireless G. In this specific case, your speedtest should be faster on your phone after this fix since wireless n has faster possible throughput.

If this fix doesn't increase my internet speed like you said above, why should I use it?
This fix allows you to use your Evo on a wireless n network. This has many advantages. First, wireless n allows a much faster wireless LAN connection. A faster LAN connection allows you to sync files, musics, videos etc. with your other computers faster. Second, Wireless N supports a greater ranger and you can move further away from your router while still maintaining a connection. Third, any g device you add onto your wireless network will slow down all other connections (including other n devices) to g-speeds. By allowing the Evo to connect on wireless n, your Evo no longer will slow down the wireless connections of other wireless n devices.

For me, the Evo was my only g-only device. Once I had wireless n support on it. I could and did set my router to Greenfield 802.11n-only mode (though if you have other g-only devices you can't). This allows you to get the fastest possible speeds on your wireless LAN or the greatest range (though not both).

I have a dual band router. My Evo cannot connect on the 5 GHZ band wireless n. Why not?
The Broadcom chip inside the Evo does not support the 5 GHZ band. Please use the 2.4 GHZ band for wireless N.

Does this affect battery life?
No. What wireless mode the Broadcom chip is running in does not affect the power drain in any meaningful or noticeable way. Only turning on/off the wifi cheap altogether will affect battery life.
Last edited by MultiDev; 22nd September 2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: added FAQ
7th July 2011, 10:05 PM   |  #3  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag East Coast
Thanks Meter: 1,388

802 posts
Donate to Me
More
Good job, did you hex edit the nmode to -----, or use a different method?
The Following User Says Thank You to ca1ne For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th July 2011, 10:39 PM   |  #4  
Flag San Antonio, Tx
Thanks Meter: 119

464 posts
I applied this to synergy and now I get 58Mbps.
7th July 2011, 11:44 PM   |  #5  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 6

231 posts
More
I applied this by flashing I didn't wipe anything said it would it automatically. On EVO DECK Rom.

Now I get WIFI ERROR

PLEASE HELP

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
7th July 2011, 11:55 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 260

2,047 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxphantom

I applied this by flashing I didn't wipe anything said it would it automatically. On EVO DECK Rom.

Now I get WIFI ERROR

PLEASE HELP

This is for sense based roms I believe

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App
8th July 2011, 01:15 AM   |  #7  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 6

231 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoboi187

This is for sense based roms I believe

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

If so CRAP

8th July 2011, 01:27 AM   |  #8  
Flag Escondido CA
Thanks Meter: 25

301 posts
More
How can you tell if your connected @ N speed? I've never been able to figure that out.
8th July 2011, 01:41 AM   |  #9  
Flag San Antonio, Tx
Thanks Meter: 119

464 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeeeeeek

How can you tell if your connected @ N speed? I've never been able to figure that out.

Wireless G speed is 54Mbps. If you get faster than that then it is N speed. It depends on the settings of the router and the type of wifi card with how fast of a connection you will get. I set my router to N only and I get 65 Mbps.
Last edited by mystery_tx_man; 8th July 2011 at 01:44 AM.
8th July 2011, 01:46 AM   |  #10  
Flag Miami, Florida
Thanks Meter: 584

1,531 posts
More
any word on if this works with CM7 RC1 and does this drain more battery while using wifi with g not n?
thanks in advance.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.24, evo, wifi, wifi n, wireless
Previous Thread Next Thread