Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,935 Members 52,985 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][07/07/11]How to Partition your SD Card

Tip us?

Dredz
Old
(Last edited by Dredz; 14th December 2011 at 12:23 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 369
Exclamation [GUIDE][07/07/11]How to Partition your SD Card

With the GingerSense ROM’s being the new hotness right now, there is a overwhelming amount of questions about partitioning. This guide is intended to help anyone that may want to partition their SD and not sure where to start. This information was gathered from The Mynions and posted several times in Myn’s Warm2p2 and Project Synergy threads. This guide was created while using Project Synergy RC1, which runs a CM script that has been modified. Come get assimilated!

Please, READ first before attempting if you are a noob, it’ll save you some gray(grey) hair. I am in no way responsible for any issues you have for following this guide, use at your own risk.

WARNING: This will erase EVERYTHING on your SD card so please transfer the contents of your SD card to a computer or external hard drive PRIOR TO starting this procedure.
1. Boot into recovery (hopefully you have amonRA v2.3)
2. Select "Partition SD Card". You will be prompted to set an amount for the SWAP, ext2 and FAT.
3. Enter zero for the SWAP size, 1024 or 2048 for ext2 and the rest for FAT*
4. After the process finishes, select "Upgrade ext2 to ext3"
5. When the process is complete, go to the wipe menu and wipe EVERYTHING in it.
6. From the main menu, select USB-MS (your phone should be connected to your PC) and copy the Synergy ROM(or your ROM of choice) to the root of your SD Card.**
7. Flash Synergy(or your ROM of choice)
8. Be patient at initial bootup because it can be quite long.
9. I recommend that your 3rd party apps be installed freshly from the market initially. They will automatically be place in the ext3 partition. You can verify it by checking to see that they are listed in the /system/sd/ folder which itself contains 3 folders: app, app-private & dalvik-cache.

After you have followed the directions to partition your card, followed by a flash of the rom and installation of your 3rd party apps & games, go to Menu-Settings-SD & phone storage and check your available internal storage space. If it is 300+, it is safe to assume that the built-in a2sd is working. Furthermore you will need a system level file manager to see the /system/sd/ folder. The Astro File Manager cannot see it.

*These sizes are only used for reference, but excellent choices. You may want to consider a swap partition, even though the stock HTC kernel does not support it. Future kernel development may take advantage of swap and doing so now can save the hassle of re-partitioning later. Food for thought.
**This guide was done while using THE Project Synergy ROM, however it should work across the board.

Hope this helps.

Special thanks to dougjamal, lowetax and all the Mynions helping out around the world (We Global!)
We are the Mynions! You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile!

Click for help partitioning your OG Evo SD Card
Follow me on G+ (Request for assimilation taken there)
The Following 136 Users Say Thank You to Dredz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dredz
Old
(Last edited by Dredz; 2nd August 2011 at 03:39 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 369
F.A.Q.

Q: Do I have to partition my card?
A: No. The main reason people partition is to take advantage of Apps2SD script. This allows for more internal memory and, depending on which version, control over various system settings (Ex.: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...17&postcount=1).

Q: Do I need to format my SD Card after partition?
A: Actually, no. Will it hurt if you do? No. Creating partitions wipes the SD Card, sets up logical drives(partitions) and formats the space(or you couldn’t write to it). The time consuming part of partitioning is the Card formatting.

Q: Can I run the stock/android A2SD after partitioning?
A: No. The Apps2SD script is different from stock. Using the stock A2SD will give you problems.

Q: Can I do a nand restore after I partition?
A: No. Your SD card's file system has changed and you may experience unfavorable results.

The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to Dredz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

interloper
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 422

DONATE TO ME
Since there is no "thanks" on the mobile app. Nice guide.

EVO4G SALVAGEMOD TIAMAT YES
The Following User Says Thank You to interloper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chris 2155
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Do you need to do this every time you flash a rom?

xsisbest
Old
Thanks Meter 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 2155 View Post
No.. it's just like windows partitions.. Once they are setup you don't have to redo them. Just wipe the data and reinstall...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xsisbest For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dredz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper View Post
Since there is no "thanks" on the mobile app. Nice guide.

EVO4G SALVAGEMOD TIAMAT YES
Thanks, I appreciate it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dredz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HipKat
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,829

DONATE TO ME
Since the stock Kernel doesn't support Swap, after first boot, go to terminal, type Su then enter, then type a2sd check.

It will probably say swap not running at boot. It should say that the partition is present and a bunch of other things.

Next type a2sd swappy10 then enter.

Now type a2sd reswap.

If you get an error, you can run a2sd reinstall which will reboot your phone.

Go back to terminal and type Su and then a2sd reswap.

Should be good to go, but you have to run the reswap after every boot til we get custom kernels.

Swyped From The Hippest Phone Using XDA Premium
Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-R970
Android 4.4.4
ROM SOKP MKK444 V01
KERNEL Alucard v2.6.9.b
GAPPS PA Modular Full 4.4.4 20140804
RADIO R970TYUFND1
RECOVERY Philz Touch 5.06.6

My Life Is Committed To Jesus!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HipKat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dredz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 2155 View Post
As answered, no. Remember however, when you do a wipe now, include SDEXT if you don't already.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dredz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

androidsupra
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Also might want to add in there to backup your SD to your computer so you won't lose any important files, music, or backups.

And after using cm or darktremmors a2sd do not use the Android a2sd or you will have problems.

Dredz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
Since the stock Kernel doesn't support Swap, after first boot, go to terminal, type Su then enter, then type a2sd check.

It will probably say swap not running at boot. It should say that the partition is present and a bunch of other things.

Next type a2sd swappy10 then enter.

Now type a2sd reswap.

If you get an error, you can run a2sd reinstall which will reboot your phone.

Go back to terminal and type Su and then a2sd reswap.

Should be good to go, but you have to run the reswap after every boot til we get custom kernels.

Swyped From The Hippest Phone Using XDA Premium
Thanks for the added info HipKat! When we get custom kernels for GingerSense, I'm going to update the OP with swap instructions. I will use your info provided with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dredz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]