Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,247 Members 51,170 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Technical reason for not upgrading to gingerbread if you want s-off?

Tip us?

dg4prez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3743

DONATE TO ME
Default Technical reason for not upgrading to gingerbread if you want s-off?

OK, so we all know that if you upgrade to gingerbread OTA you'll lose the ability to s-off with alpharevx.

What we also know is that there will be a lot of people, myself included, who will begin visibly twitching when gingerbread is available and s-off isn't. i mean, here's this sexy update, full of tweaks, and we can't touch the sweet sweet goodness...

So here's my question - why? What is the technical reason behind it, and where did it come from? Did it come from alpharevx? Is it a real limitation, or is it one of those things we all "know" but isn't actually true? There's gonna be a lot of people who flash GB thinking "eh, there will be a fix for this too." On the surface of it, you gotta think there will be - new dinc2's will come with GB preinstalled at some point soon - what about those guys? xtc clip only?

ACD168
Old
Thanks Meter 135
well yea you can get a small fix now, and be stuck. or use the XTC clip and have goodies like this

ACD168
Old
Thanks Meter 135
CM7 is awesome as well. not too mention once root is around for more people, they will build some awesome ROMs. much more awesome than stock.

dg4prez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3743

DONATE TO ME
oh, i'm not going to be touching it, but i know many many people will.

ACD168
Old
Thanks Meter 135
to each their own. I thought of selling my inc2 before root. I'd rather pay $100 for root now than use a Thunderbolt. anyday.

zozor
Old
Thanks Meter 35
i had used used xtc clip to get S-OFF , i am not sure if running the OTA GB update i will get a S-ON .

ACD168
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozor View Post
i had used used xtc clip to get S-OFF , i am not sure if running the OTA GB update i will get a S-ON .
no it wont, nothing will..
The Following User Says Thank You to ACD168 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

voxigenboy
Old
Thanks Meter 164
well, both GB and S-OFF have been labelled as 'coming soon' recently. supposedly GB will start to become available this monday. as for S-OFF, its still TBA. I guess it just depends on you. I used to have an HTC HD2 and the best thing I ever did for it was load custom ROMs.

dg4prez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3743

DONATE TO ME
i've got zero interest in the thunderbolt. i think this is the best phone on VZ, right now. i'd much rather run CM7 or another rom five minutes after alpha is released than have GB now and then have to potentially wait longer.

i'm on the alpharev chat now, and it sounds like the reason is the exploit being used requires froyo - it's patched in gingerbread. i get the sense that if this were 2.3.4, we could use gingerbreak, but in 2.3.3, it's not gonna fly.

jhitesma
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspderek View Post
i've got zero interest in the thunderbolt. i think this is the best phone on VZ, right now. i'd much rather run CM7 or another rom five minutes after alpha is released than have GB now and then have to potentially wait longer.

i'm on the alpharev chat now, and it sounds like the reason is the exploit being used requires froyo - it's patched in gingerbread. i get the sense that if this were 2.3.4, we could use gingerbreak, but in 2.3.3, it's not gonna fly.
From what I understand 2.3.4 wouldn't help make gingerbreak possible since the exploit used by gingerbreak was explicitly patched already in RUU's that have leaked. If they've got it patched in 2.3.3 there's no reason it wouldn't also be patched in 2.3.4. Once security holes are found (and bottom line, yes, gingerbreak is a security hole) and patched they aren't re-opened on purpose.