Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,659 Members 44,504 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[WebTop] rDesktop 1.7.0 for WebTop

Tip us?

FallenAngelUK
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Post [WebTop] rDesktop 1.7.0 for WebTop

rDesktop 1.7.0
What is rDesktop?
rDesktop is a terminal services client for Linux - it will allow you to connect to a terminal services session of any Windows machine with Remote Desktop enabled.

This is a newer release of rDesktop than is available in the Debian repos.

Prerequisites
  • Access to a terminal from WebTop
  • A small amount of Linux shell knowledge

Usage
  • Copy the attached binary to somewhere on your device (I suggest /usr/bin, or somewhere else on your PATH)
  • Open a terminal
  • Enter the following:
    Code:
    rdesktop -g workarea -a16 -z -xm -P -0 <server>
    You can use the following switches:
    • -g workarea - sets the window size to the desktop size
    • -f - makes the session fullscreen (ie. on top of all current chrome)
    • -a16 - sets 16bit colour depth (valid values are 8, 15, 16 and 24)
    • -z - enables compression (leave this enabled!)
    • -xm - sets the 'experience' level to 'modem' (valid values are modem, broadband or LAN)
    • -0 - causes you to be logged in to the console session (same as the /admin switch for mstsc)

I've found this to be invaluable for getting onto my desktop and servers at work. Now to see if I can get rid of that bloody awful Avant Window Manager and just use FluxBox
Attached Files
File Type: zip rdesktop.zip - [Click for QR Code] (287.1 KB, 1029 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FallenAngelUK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mgamerz
Old
Thanks Meter 129
I don't have a lapdock, but its compiled for arm/tegra?

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G on the network with the most backhaul, whatever that is. This post might have errors as I hate touchscreen keyboards.
Click Thanks if my post helped you It's like the free version of donating

T-Mobile $30 a month Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Primary
Sprint LG Mach - Secondary
Nexus 7 (not even rooted!)

Nokia N810 (Maemo)
HP Touchpad (WebOS)
Motorola Atrix (Gingerbread) - Sold due to OEM never keeping promises

paravorheim
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Default GUI support?

I know rdesktop is only terminal based, but is there a sort of add-on to it that allows for a graphical representation of the screen, much like rdp clients in the Android market? that would be far more useful for my purposes, although this is a great step in that direction.

byted
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paravorheim View Post
I know rdesktop is only terminal based, but is there a sort of add-on to it that allows for a graphical representation of the screen, much like rdp clients in the Android market? that would be far more useful for my purposes, although this is a great step in that direction.
An easy solution is to simply create a shell script and then specify the server.

EG: ./rdp.sh <server>

Much prettier than having to type all the strings.
HTC One,Nexus 4

krkeegan
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by paravorheim View Post
I know rdesktop is only terminal based, but is there a sort of add-on to it that allows for a graphical representation of the screen
grdesktop is a graphical front end. It works on hacked webtops such as webtop2sd or the debian chroot mod.
If I helped you in any way, please hit the Thanks button

paravorheim
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by krkeegan View Post
grdesktop is a graphical front end. It works on hacked webtops such as webtop2sd or the debian chroot mod.
Thanks! you just saved me $1000!
If I couldn't run some programs like matlab and mathematica, I would have had to but a laptop for classes.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

FallenAngelUK
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgamerz View Post
I don't have a lapdock, but its compiled for arm/tegra?
Yes, it was compiled on the Atrix itself (that took a while...).
I use the chroot method on my atrix (I like keeping things seperate!), so this is probably only useful for those of us based on Debian (don't know what version is currently in the ubuntu repos)

The grdesktop package from the debian repos will work just fine with this binary.

I might even start a repo just for webtop... anyone think that would be useful?

~~ C# developer by day, Android developer by night ~~

Current Phone: AT&T Atrix on T-Mobile UK, with Lapdock, Multimedia Dock and Car Dock
Previous Phones: HTC HD2, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch, HTC Wizard
The Following User Says Thank You to FallenAngelUK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

paravorheim
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Default YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngelUK View Post
Yes, it was compiled on the Atrix itself (that took a while...).
I use the chroot method on my atrix (I like keeping things seperate!), so this is probably only useful for those of us based on Debian (don't know what version is currently in the ubuntu repos)

The grdesktop package from the debian repos will work just fine with this binary.

I might even start a repo just for webtop... anyone think that would be useful?
That would be very useful, actually. Although I'm terrible at using Unix OSes and terminals in general haha.

humzat
Old
Thanks Meter 5
this is awesome..almost as good as citrix xendesktop...who needs that though when this works so very well...one question did you get your sound working on the lapdock? when i try to enable sound via -r sound:local it says driver not found or smething like that..basically no matter what settings i use even via the gui tools or the cli..i get the same error and no sound....is there any way to get the sound to work?

FallenAngelUK
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
If you're using the chroot method, it may be that you need to add some packages.

I haven't tried it myself, but I remember seeing a thread somewhere related to getting RythmBox working - this involved sorting out some missing audio-related stuff.

~~ C# developer by day, Android developer by night ~~

Current Phone: AT&T Atrix on T-Mobile UK, with Lapdock, Multimedia Dock and Car Dock
Previous Phones: HTC HD2, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch, HTC Wizard

Tags
app, package, rdesktop, webtop