9th July 2011, 07:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Coventry
Thanks Meter: 5

9 posts
More
rDesktop 1.7.0
What is rDesktop?
rDesktop is a terminal services client for Linux - it will allow you to connect to a terminal services session of any Windows machine with Remote Desktop enabled.

This is a newer release of rDesktop than is available in the Debian repos.

Prerequisites
  • Access to a terminal from WebTop
  • A small amount of Linux shell knowledge

Usage
  • Copy the attached binary to somewhere on your device (I suggest /usr/bin, or somewhere else on your PATH)
  • Open a terminal
  • Enter the following:
    Code:
    rdesktop -g workarea -a16 -z -xm -P -0 <server>
    You can use the following switches:
    • -g workarea - sets the window size to the desktop size
    • -f - makes the session fullscreen (ie. on top of all current chrome)
    • -a16 - sets 16bit colour depth (valid values are 8, 15, 16 and 24)
    • -z - enables compression (leave this enabled!)
    • -xm - sets the 'experience' level to 'modem' (valid values are modem, broadband or LAN)
    • -0 - causes you to be logged in to the console session (same as the /admin switch for mstsc)

I've found this to be invaluable for getting onto my desktop and servers at work. Now to see if I can get rid of that bloody awful Avant Window Manager and just use FluxBox
Attached Files
File Type: zip rdesktop.zip - [Click for QR Code] (287.1 KB, 1031 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FallenAngelUK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th July 2011, 10:00 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 131

757 posts
More
I don't have a lapdock, but its compiled for arm/tegra?

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G on the network with the most backhaul, whatever that is. This post might have errors as I hate touchscreen keyboards.
9th July 2011, 11:44 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 19

227 posts
GUI support?
I know rdesktop is only terminal based, but is there a sort of add-on to it that allows for a graphical representation of the screen, much like rdp clients in the Android market? that would be far more useful for my purposes, although this is a great step in that direction.
11th July 2011, 09:41 PM   |  #4  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 1

40 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paravorheim

I know rdesktop is only terminal based, but is there a sort of add-on to it that allows for a graphical representation of the screen, much like rdp clients in the Android market? that would be far more useful for my purposes, although this is a great step in that direction.

An easy solution is to simply create a shell script and then specify the server.

EG: ./rdp.sh <server>

Much prettier than having to type all the strings.
11th July 2011, 11:38 PM   |  #5  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 67

164 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paravorheim

I know rdesktop is only terminal based, but is there a sort of add-on to it that allows for a graphical representation of the screen

grdesktop is a graphical front end. It works on hacked webtops such as webtop2sd or the debian chroot mod.
12th July 2011, 12:50 AM   |  #6  

227 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krkeegan

grdesktop is a graphical front end. It works on hacked webtops such as webtop2sd or the debian chroot mod.

Thanks! you just saved me $1000!
If I couldn't run some programs like matlab and mathematica, I would have had to but a laptop for classes.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App
14th July 2011, 09:04 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Coventry

9 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgamerz

I don't have a lapdock, but its compiled for arm/tegra?

Yes, it was compiled on the Atrix itself (that took a while...).
I use the chroot method on my atrix (I like keeping things seperate!), so this is probably only useful for those of us based on Debian (don't know what version is currently in the ubuntu repos)

The grdesktop package from the debian repos will work just fine with this binary.

I might even start a repo just for webtop... anyone think that would be useful?
The Following User Says Thank You to FallenAngelUK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2011, 10:52 PM   |  #8  

227 posts
YES
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngelUK

Yes, it was compiled on the Atrix itself (that took a while...).
I use the chroot method on my atrix (I like keeping things seperate!), so this is probably only useful for those of us based on Debian (don't know what version is currently in the ubuntu repos)

The grdesktop package from the debian repos will work just fine with this binary.

I might even start a repo just for webtop... anyone think that would be useful?

That would be very useful, actually. Although I'm terrible at using Unix OSes and terminals in general haha.
17th July 2011, 01:51 AM   |  #9  

152 posts
this is awesome..almost as good as citrix xendesktop...who needs that though when this works so very well...one question did you get your sound working on the lapdock? when i try to enable sound via -r sound:local it says driver not found or smething like that..basically no matter what settings i use even via the gui tools or the cli..i get the same error and no sound....is there any way to get the sound to work?
17th July 2011, 07:24 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Flag Coventry

9 posts
More
If you're using the chroot method, it may be that you need to add some packages.

I haven't tried it myself, but I remember seeing a thread somewhere related to getting RythmBox working - this involved sorting out some missing audio-related stuff.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
app, package, rdesktop, webtop
Previous Thread Next Thread