[WebTop] rDesktop 1.7.0 for WebTop

Search This thread
rDesktop 1.7.0
What is rDesktop?
rDesktop is a terminal services client for Linux - it will allow you to connect to a terminal services session of any Windows machine with Remote Desktop enabled.

This is a newer release of rDesktop than is available in the Debian repos.

Prerequisites
  • Access to a terminal from WebTop
  • A small amount of Linux shell knowledge

Usage
  • Copy the attached binary to somewhere on your device (I suggest /usr/bin, or somewhere else on your PATH)
  • Open a terminal
  • Enter the following:
    Code:
    rdesktop -g workarea -a16 -z -xm -P -0 <server>
    You can use the following switches:
    • -g workarea - sets the window size to the desktop size
    • -f - makes the session fullscreen (ie. on top of all current chrome)
    • -a16 - sets 16bit colour depth (valid values are 8, 15, 16 and 24)
    • -z - enables compression (leave this enabled!)
    • -xm - sets the 'experience' level to 'modem' (valid values are modem, broadband or LAN)
    • -0 - causes you to be logged in to the console session (same as the /admin switch for mstsc)

I've found this to be invaluable for getting onto my desktop and servers at work. Now to see if I can get rid of that bloody awful Avant Window Manager and just use FluxBox :)

Attachments

• rdesktop.zip
    287.1 KB · Views: 1,053

Mgamerz

May 9, 2011
mgamerzproductions.com
I don't have a lapdock, but its compiled for arm/tegra?

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G on the network with the most backhaul, whatever that is. This post might have errors as I hate touchscreen keyboards.

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
GUI support?

I know rdesktop is only terminal based, but is there a sort of add-on to it that allows for a graphical representation of the screen, much like rdp clients in the Android market? that would be far more useful for my purposes, although this is a great step in that direction.

byted

May 4, 2011
Ottawa
I know rdesktop is only terminal based, but is there a sort of add-on to it that allows for a graphical representation of the screen, much like rdp clients in the Android market? that would be far more useful for my purposes, although this is a great step in that direction.

An easy solution is to simply create a shell script and then specify the server.

EG: ./rdp.sh <server>

Much prettier than having to type all the strings.

Yes, it was compiled on the Atrix itself (that took a while...).
I use the chroot method on my atrix (I like keeping things seperate!), so this is probably only useful for those of us based on Debian (don't know what version is currently in the ubuntu repos)

The grdesktop package from the debian repos will work just fine with this binary.

I might even start a repo just for webtop... anyone think that would be useful?

Reactions: driedger

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
YES

I use the chroot method on my atrix (I like keeping things seperate!), so this is probably only useful for those of us based on Debian (don't know what version is currently in the ubuntu repos)

The grdesktop package from the debian repos will work just fine with this binary.

That would be very useful, actually. Although I'm terrible at using Unix OSes and terminals in general haha.

humzat

Mar 11, 2011
this is awesome..almost as good as citrix xendesktop...who needs that though when this works so very well...one question did you get your sound working on the lapdock? when i try to enable sound via -r sound:local it says driver not found or smething like that..basically no matter what settings i use even via the gui tools or the cli..i get the same error and no sound....is there any way to get the sound to work?

If you're using the chroot method, it may be that you need to add some packages.

I haven't tried it myself, but I remember seeing a thread somewhere related to getting RythmBox working - this involved sorting out some missing audio-related stuff.

krkeegan

Jun 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Well it runs in the webtop, so you get a much larger screen. Sure you could expand the android in window screen, but that doesn't increase the pixel count.

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
full-screen resolution grdesktop

Thanks for getting this working FallenAngel!
How would one use the xterm session to set grdesktop to represent the desktop as full screen on the laptop dock? 640 x 480 ( I think? ) just isn't cutting it.

humzat

Mar 11, 2011
any input on getting the sound to work?

this is awesome..almost as good as citrix xendesktop...who needs that though when this works so very well...one question did you get your sound working on the lapdock? when i try to enable sound via -r sound:local it says driver not found or smething like that..basically no matter what settings i use even via the gui tools or the cli..i get the same error and no sound....is there any way to get the sound to work?

krkeegan

Jun 5, 2010
Los Angeles
First, thanks for compiling this. I can't imagine how long it took on the Atrix.

Second, I am using this with the lapdock and the arrow keys, home, insert, page up, and the like are not working. I am assuming this is a keymap issue?? Any one else having these issues? Does anyone have the keymap that I need?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    rDesktop 1.7.0
    What is rDesktop?
    rDesktop is a terminal services client for Linux - it will allow you to connect to a terminal services session of any Windows machine with Remote Desktop enabled.

This is a newer release of rDesktop than is available in the Debian repos.

Prerequisites
    • Access to a terminal from WebTop
    • A small amount of Linux shell knowledge

Usage
    • Copy the attached binary to somewhere on your device (I suggest /usr/bin, or somewhere else on your PATH)
    • Open a terminal
    • Enter the following:
      Code:
      rdesktop -g workarea -a16 -z -xm -P -0 <server>
      You can use the following switches:
      • -g workarea - sets the window size to the desktop size
      • -f - makes the session fullscreen (ie. on top of all current chrome)
      • -a16 - sets 16bit colour depth (valid values are 8, 15, 16 and 24)
      • -z - enables compression (leave this enabled!)
      • -xm - sets the 'experience' level to 'modem' (valid values are modem, broadband or LAN)
      • -0 - causes you to be logged in to the console session (same as the /admin switch for mstsc)

I've found this to be invaluable for getting onto my desktop and servers at work. Now to see if I can get rid of that bloody awful Avant Window Manager and just use FluxBox :)

How would one go about replacing rdesktop? Im absolutely terrible with linux, but im trying to learn as a I go.

The link provided in the OP is the rdesktop binary. Generally in linux you use a package manager to install things, but in this instance since it is a single file you can just replace the rdesktop binary with the one provided.

My suggested method to install this is:
    1. apt-get update
    2. apt-get install rdesktop
    3. cd /usr/bin
    4. mv rdesktop rdesktop.bak
    5. cp [THE DOWNLOADED rdesktop binary] rdesktop
    6. chmod 755 rdesktop

I did this all in a chroot environment so I was root. If you are doing this with wt2sd then you will need to sudo some of those commands.
    Still doesn't word cause of the keymap problem.

You have to do following to kill keymap errors:

- Install rdesktop from synaptic (standard 1.6.0)
    - exchange the rdesktop file in usr/bin with the 1.7.0 Atrix version
    - chmod 0644 rdesktop 1.7.0
    - copy keymap directory from usr/share/rdesktop to home/adas/.rdesktop
    - chmod 755 on .rdesktop and the new keymap directory inside .rdesktop
    - chmod 644 on all files in the new keymap directory
    I can't seem to get Remmina installed on wt2sd. Has anyone else had success with this?

Apparently, remmina is avaiable and working On the Debian chroot environment only. eaze, correct me if I'm wrong