What is rDesktop?
rDesktop is a terminal services client for Linux - it will allow you to connect to a terminal services session of any Windows machine with Remote Desktop enabled.
This is a newer release of rDesktop than is available in the Debian repos.
- Access to a terminal from WebTop
- A small amount of Linux shell knowledge
- Copy the attached binary to somewhere on your device (I suggest /usr/bin, or somewhere else on your PATH)
- Open a terminal
- Enter the following:
rdesktop -g workarea -a16 -z -xm -P -0 <server>
- -g workarea - sets the window size to the desktop size
- -f - makes the session fullscreen (ie. on top of all current chrome)
- -a16 - sets 16bit colour depth (valid values are 8, 15, 16 and 24)
- -z - enables compression (leave this enabled!)
- -xm - sets the 'experience' level to 'modem' (valid values are modem, broadband or LAN)
- -0 - causes you to be logged in to the console session (same as the /admin switch for mstsc)
I've found this to be invaluable for getting onto my desktop and servers at work. Now to see if I can get rid of that bloody awful Avant Window Manager and just use FluxBox