Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 54,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Polaris Office corrupting .doc files

Tip us?

alan77ss
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Polaris Office corrupting .doc files

I've found that if i import an ms .doc file into polaris, edit it and then transfer it back to my pc, i'm unable to open the file - i get an error "unexpected error occured while reading". I get the same result whether i open it in word, wordpad, open office etc.

tried this with a few docs, even tried an factory reset, but the problem still occurs. maybe it's just a bad install on my transformer but at the moment it makes polaris pretty much unusable - if i can't sync up my documents, or send them to other people to open on their computers, then it's pointless.

has anyone else noticed this?

EP2008
Old
Thanks Meter 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan77ss View Post
I've found that if i import an ms .doc file into polaris, edit it and then transfer it back to my pc, i'm unable to open the file - i get an error "unexpected error occured while reading". I get the same result whether i open it in word, wordpad, open office etc.

tried this with a few docs, even tried an factory reset, but the problem still occurs. maybe it's just a bad install on my transformer but at the moment it makes polaris pretty much unusable - if i can't sync up my documents, or send them to other people to open on their computers, then it's pointless.

My PC is down right now, so I can't test, but I had edited a doc file that was emailed to me and sent it back without problems. Does this only happen when you edit an existing file or also with newly created docs?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 w/ KK 4.4.2 (stock rom)
Apple iPad 4th gen w/ iOS 7
HP Touchpad w/ WebOS and CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
MSI 110W Windows 8 tablet

DilloDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan77ss View Post

I couldn't get my PC to read a document I created and then transfered from the Transformer either. I could read it when I emailed it to myself and picked it back off of my email on the PC. Could be in the transfering?

Harnec
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DilloDroid View Post
I couldn't get my PC to read a document I created and then transfered from the Transformer either. I could read it when I emailed it to myself and picked it back off of my email on the PC. Could be in the transfering?
tested with one excel and one doc document, didn't have any problems viewing them on PC.

alan77ss
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Thanks for the response.

Seems to be an issue just on edited files. So it might be that the files on the PC are somehow corrupted. But then i don't have a problem editing and sending docs on my PC - it's only once edited through polaris that there's a problem.

i noticed that when i open up a doc polaris prompts me to 'remove protection' - no idea what that's about as i don't protect the files. maybe it's something to do with that.

Pretty sure it's not the transfer methods, i've tried bluetooth,ftp, drag 'n drop etc...same results.

stujuk
Old
Thanks Meter 4
In my line of work I have come across some interesting information about older office files (doc,xls,ppt). There was an update for office that basically broke them, if you opened an older format file and saved it corrupted them. This same problem may have gone across to Polaris.

Does Polaris allow use of the newer format files(docx,xlsx,pptx)? If so this might be a way around the problem.

alan77ss
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Well i tried creating a new document on my PC, edited it in polaris then transferred it back and had the same problem. can't really try other file formats (odt, rtf) as polaris doesn't appear to support them. i might try a quickinstall/refund of one of the other office apps and see if the problem is replicated.

incidentally i can open the editd documents on the docs2go viewer app and i can upload to google docs. so it might be that i have an ancient version of word, but then surely open office should be able to open it ?

EP2008
Old
Thanks Meter 292
I had edited a file for work last week using Polaris (document file with images, headers, etc... ), so I tried opening it on my office PC using Office Word 2007 and it opens and renders perfectly.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 w/ KK 4.4.2 (stock rom)
Apple iPad 4th gen w/ iOS 7
HP Touchpad w/ WebOS and CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
MSI 110W Windows 8 tablet

alan77ss
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Ok well the problem does seem to lie with polaris. i did a quick install/refund of quick office and was able to edit docs and view them on my pc with no problems.

i've got a feeling it's to do with the 'remove protection' prompt i get in polaris, didn't get that with quick office.

maybe it's just a bad install on my device as no one else seems to have the problem. I guess i'm gonna have to call up ASUS as polaris doesn't seem to offer any support on its site.

phoranix
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Same probs here. Gdocs let's me view but not edit. Kword crashes, libre office can't open.