[ROM] LG Thrive P506 Stock FOTA 2.2.2 v11h

Search This thread

raenye

Dec 7, 2010
Standard disclaimer applies: if anything breaks down, it wasn't me.
Use this only on LG Thrive P506, not P505 or others.

Here's a flashable zip with the latest AT&T FOTA rom (thunderg-user 2.2.2 FRG83G LG-P506-V11h.19BA7112F9). Old, non-working mirror is here.

Changes from stock rom?
- rooted, deodexed, added a2sd support.
- updated Google apps (market, gmail, maps, voice search).
- added FM radio app (from P500) and AppWidgetPicker.
- RTL fix applied.
- AT&T apps moved from /system to /data, so they can be uninstalled.
- build.prop modified: debug.sf.hw=1 and wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=120.

How to flash?
- if you don't have a custom recovery, you first have to root, install Rom Manager and install CWM (use Optimus One (Old BB) version for now, it's imperfect but usable).
- use Rom Manager to boot to recovery (do nothing else from Rom Manager!), make a backup, and install the zip. The rom does not wipe your data, but do a factory reset before complaining about FCs.

Advanced topics
- a patched CWM recovery can be found here. It only solves the color issue, not others. A real solution may be pending.
- I usually delete DunServer.apk and IQAgent.apk from /system/app, as they seem to run automatically and do nothing. Perhaps WapService.apk is expendable too. YMMV.
- AT&T preset bookmarks/contacts can be removed by using SQL tools on the appropriate databases. I didn't bother with wifi/apn presets.

Last edited:

kingv10

Aug 4, 2009
Thank you so much for working on this, as soon as I get home from my trip I'll be trying this out, I can't wait.

brightstar2

Jul 15, 2011
This Stock P506 Thrive ROM didn't Recovery my P506 Thrive - Why?

Had all the prerequisites setup to apply this Stock P506 Thrive ROM.

In a pinch I needed a ROM and I tried this ROM for my P506 Thrive.

Has anyone also had problems recovering to this ROM? And if so, how did you work around and make a good recovery using this ROM?

electech

Oct 25, 2008
Would this work on a Phoenix (P505)?

I tried it and it has the color issue where everything is blue/green and poor resolution. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

Last edited:

raenye

Dec 7, 2010
Would this work on a Phoenix (P505)?
I tried it and it has the color issue where everything is blue/green and poor resolution. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

One possible fix is not to install a P506 rom on a P505.
It is also written in boldface in the 2nd line of the original post.

Another fix is to restore the backup you did in CWM recovery.

raenye

Dec 7, 2010

Had all the prerequisites setup to apply this Stock P506 Thrive ROM.

In a pinch I needed a ROM and I tried this ROM for my P506 Thrive.

Has anyone also had problems recovering to this ROM? And if so, how did you work around and make a good recovery using this ROM?

What kind of problems? bootloop or FC? did you try to wipe?

brightstar2

Jul 15, 2011
LG Thrive P506 2.2.2 ROM Recovery hasn't recovered

Hi,

The P506 phone boots into CMW recovery over and over. Or with key-press sequence phone will boot into fastboot.

Problem isn't limited to this tweaked 2.2.2 ROM, the backup when restored is equally stuck in the boot to CMW.

Wiped many times in my opinion, but what does "wiped" mean to you? Maybe I didn't do it precisely as you want/require before attempting 2.2.2 recovery.

raenye

Dec 7, 2010
I think you should reflash recovery from fastboot.
Wipe is relevant if you get FCs or standard boot bootloops, not so much for recovery bootloops.

brightstar2

Jul 15, 2011
LG P506 Thrive Failure to Recover in to 2.2.2 ROM Newbie

Will try ...

Would you consider sending me a PM, URL or post with tad bit more precision (on reflash recovery from fastboot). Only a few months with this. Still a Newbie

raenye

Dec 7, 2010
I wrote you a link in the thread you opened.
(As a last resort, I'd try to flash the P506 original stock recovery and see what happens, perhaps it'd do a factory reset.)

brightstar2

Jul 15, 2011
Fastboot cries on Update of LG P506 Thrive ROM

If you mean that I should give these fastboot commands...

>fastboot -w

>fastboot update /sdcard/p506_AT_T_v11h_deodexed_rooted.zip

... THEN my LG/Fastboot cries with the following errors/messages:

archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'
archive does not contain 'android-product.txt'
errror: update package has not android-info.txt or android-product.txt

So close, so many URLs to consider for remedy and if someone would take a moment and type out the right fastboot command or share the pin-point URL how-to. THEN Thanks in ADVANCE!!

raenye

Dec 7, 2010
I haven't seen any tutorial around here that recommends the use of fastboot update.

- fastboot flash recovery cwm-recovery.img,
- fastboot boot cwm-recovery.img (keys not working now)
- adb shell
- reboot recovery (keys are working now)
- flash the rom itself from within CWM.

Last edited:

brightstar2

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks, Will try (2nd, 3rd) time to flash & recovery LG P506 Thrive

Thanks that is precise and super clear! I needed that. More than worth the few extra bytes of redundant data. Appreciate your time. Will try this again over the week.

And was there a significant typo (prior posting)

Thanks again ... not up to 100% speed with expert android lingo and acronyms, so spelling it out helps.

brightstar2

Jul 15, 2011
Must something obivious I'm doing wrong to Recovery LG P506 Thrive with 2.2.2

Tried, still boots into recovery (orange). Do you see something obvious?

fastboot flash recovery CWM3100-p506-recovery.img

-- OK

fastboot boot CWM3100-p506-recovery.img

-- OK

Then Original Blue-style CWM Recovery on phone

adb shell

-- OK

reboot recovery

-- OK

Now Orange-style CWM Recovery on phone

Apply update from .zip
Choose zip from sdcard

/sdcard/p506_AT-T_v11h_deodexed_rooted.zip --- selected and installed

-- OK

Power Down
Power Up

--> Back into Orange-style CWM Recovery

and here the LG P506 stays following recovery with 2.2.2 ROM

brightstar2

Jul 15, 2011
SOLVED - LG P506 Thrive Now 2.2.2 after unroot & AT&T OTA upgrade try to 2.2.2

Thanks to the XDA Forum and users. With it I stitched together a solution and have returned my LG P506 (AT&T Thrive) to good working order with 2.2.2

This was my first Android learner phone, since I would soon need to know Android +/- for work.

Started with a backed up (and backed up) Rooted LG Thrive running 2.2.1 with CWM Recovery. Tried to unroot and return to stock (unfreeze AT&T bloatware, unroot, etc). The AT&T 2.2.2 over-the-air (OTA) was successful, but after reboot the P506 was stuck in a CWM boot-to-recovery mode.

All the fastboot commands, all the CWM recovery commands worked fine. New Custom Stock ROM 2.2.2 re-flashed fine, but the phone would still either boot to CWM Recovery to Fastboot-mode depending on Keys/buttons pressed at boot.

So phone wasn't bricked, but was stuck.

From this XDA forum (this and other XDA forum posting here and there). The Solution was found.

From another LG P506 thread here I got 2 files boot.img and system.img for LG P506 (I did use these files, but perhaps a full custom CWM ROM recovery would be good to -- These are the facts, you can refine)

From the LG Fastboot command I

>fastboot flash boot boot.img

>fastboot flash system system.img

Tried to boot but still stuck at CWM Recovery

POST AFTER POST here says wipe phone more or less. I did wipes with CWM Recovery. I was never really sure how to do enough but NOT TOO MUCH of a WIPE. Too timid as a noob, never tried to fastboot to erase.

LEARNED POINT: fastboot erase is/must-be different than CWM Recovery wipes/formats etc.

The LG P506 was a starter Android phone to learn on, build skill and make mistakes without wrecking an $800 phone.

I had seen another XDA Forum posting about the structure of the phone's file system ... it showed 'system' 'cache' 'userdata' 'misc' 'FOTABIN' 'FOTA' ... plus a few more.

HINDSIGHT: I looked for but could not find a good here is how ANDROID boots for this phone. (1) this .. (2) that ... (3) etc .. kernel, GUI, etc. I suspect I would have learned that something I erased below like FOTA or FOTABIN was running and dying throwing me into CWM Recovery.

I felt I had nothing to loose at this point and no matter what I tried I was (up to that point) still always able to get into CWM Recovery. CWM Recovery ROCKS!

The BREAK THROUGH....

In fastboot mode again.

>flastboot erase FOTA

>flastboot erase FOTABIN

>fastboot erase misc

>fastboot erase cache

>fastboot erase userdata

>fastboot reboot

... there was the LG P506 running 2.2.2 sans the AT&T bloatware. Battery needed recharged, so I took my son to House of Air in the Presidio in San Francisco for trampoline dodgeball.

Nearly 24 hours later the LG P506 Thrive is still working fine.

I suspect that (1) either the boot & system img were needed and something needed erased/wiped.

-- OR --

(2) something like FOTA and/or FOTABIN need erased first and foremost.

As newbie, I was not sure quite what to do at each turn. Using google, I struggled to find insightful android documentation for my problem that was current and not about older versions of ANDROID. The Forum experts use acronyms and speak at an expert-level at times, but the gist of what they shared feels/felt sound. But kind of hard to hear Babe-Ruth explain how to hit a HOME RUN and all together different thing to step into the batter's box and hit a HOME RUN.

Anyhow, the XDA FORUM ROCKS. The experts are EXPERT, I'm unworthy. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP.

Reactions: kickdrum74

Chadw1985

Aug 4, 2011
Columbia, Sc
If anyone is having problems with this rom you're not doing something right. I wiped dalvik cache, cache, system, and battery stats. Then flashed the rom. Then reboot. It took a few minutes to start up. But its working great. Now im doing some experimenting. I have done several things to my phone as well. Internet speed tweak (which made my dl speeds increase dramatically) and other things. If anyone has things they want tested on a thrive, im willing to do it.

Sent from my LG-P506 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Standard disclaimer applies: if anything breaks down, it wasn't me.
    Use this only on LG Thrive P506, not P505 or others.

Here's a flashable zip with the latest AT&T FOTA rom (thunderg-user 2.2.2 FRG83G LG-P506-V11h.19BA7112F9). Old, non-working mirror is here.

Changes from stock rom?
    - rooted, deodexed, added a2sd support.
    - updated Google apps (market, gmail, maps, voice search).
    - added FM radio app (from P500) and AppWidgetPicker.
    - RTL fix applied.
    - AT&T apps moved from /system to /data, so they can be uninstalled.
    - build.prop modified: debug.sf.hw=1 and wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=120.

How to flash?
    - if you don't have a custom recovery, you first have to root, install Rom Manager and install CWM (use Optimus One (Old BB) version for now, it's imperfect but usable).
    - use Rom Manager to boot to recovery (do nothing else from Rom Manager!), make a backup, and install the zip. The rom does not wipe your data, but do a factory reset before complaining about FCs.

Advanced topics
    - a patched CWM recovery can be found here. It only solves the color issue, not others. A real solution may be pending.
    - I usually delete DunServer.apk and IQAgent.apk from /system/app, as they seem to run automatically and do nothing. Perhaps WapService.apk is expendable too. YMMV.
    - AT&T preset bookmarks/contacts can be removed by using SQL tools on the appropriate databases. I didn't bother with wifi/apn presets.
    I haven't seen any tutorial around here that recommends the use of fastboot update.

- fastboot flash recovery cwm-recovery.img,
    - fastboot boot cwm-recovery.img (keys not working now)
    - adb shell
    - reboot recovery (keys are working now)
    - flash the rom itself from within CWM.
    SOLVED - LG P506 Thrive Now 2.2.2 after unroot & AT&T OTA upgrade try to 2.2.2

Thanks to the XDA Forum and users. With it I stitched together a solution and have returned my LG P506 (AT&T Thrive) to good working order with 2.2.2

This was my first Android learner phone, since I would soon need to know Android +/- for work.

Started with a backed up (and backed up) Rooted LG Thrive running 2.2.1 with CWM Recovery. Tried to unroot and return to stock (unfreeze AT&T bloatware, unroot, etc). The AT&T 2.2.2 over-the-air (OTA) was successful, but after reboot the P506 was stuck in a CWM boot-to-recovery mode.

All the fastboot commands, all the CWM recovery commands worked fine. New Custom Stock ROM 2.2.2 re-flashed fine, but the phone would still either boot to CWM Recovery to Fastboot-mode depending on Keys/buttons pressed at boot.

So phone wasn't bricked, but was stuck.

From this XDA forum (this and other XDA forum posting here and there). The Solution was found.

From another LG P506 thread here I got 2 files boot.img and system.img for LG P506 (I did use these files, but perhaps a full custom CWM ROM recovery would be good to -- These are the facts, you can refine)

From the LG Fastboot command I

>fastboot flash boot boot.img

>fastboot flash system system.img

Tried to boot but still stuck at CWM Recovery

POST AFTER POST here says wipe phone more or less. I did wipes with CWM Recovery. I was never really sure how to do enough but NOT TOO MUCH of a WIPE. Too timid as a noob, never tried to fastboot to erase.

LEARNED POINT: fastboot erase is/must-be different than CWM Recovery wipes/formats etc.

The LG P506 was a starter Android phone to learn on, build skill and make mistakes without wrecking an $800 phone.

I had seen another XDA Forum posting about the structure of the phone's file system ... it showed 'system' 'cache' 'userdata' 'misc' 'FOTABIN' 'FOTA' ... plus a few more.

HINDSIGHT: I looked for but could not find a good here is how ANDROID boots for this phone. (1) this .. (2) that ... (3) etc .. kernel, GUI, etc. I suspect I would have learned that something I erased below like FOTA or FOTABIN was running and dying throwing me into CWM Recovery.

I felt I had nothing to loose at this point and no matter what I tried I was (up to that point) still always able to get into CWM Recovery. CWM Recovery ROCKS!

The BREAK THROUGH....

In fastboot mode again.

>flastboot erase FOTA

>flastboot erase FOTABIN

>fastboot erase misc

>fastboot erase cache

>fastboot erase userdata

>fastboot reboot

... there was the LG P506 running 2.2.2 sans the AT&T bloatware. Battery needed recharged, so I took my son to House of Air in the Presidio in San Francisco for trampoline dodgeball.

Nearly 24 hours later the LG P506 Thrive is still working fine.

I suspect that (1) either the boot & system img were needed and something needed erased/wiped.

-- OR --

(2) something like FOTA and/or FOTABIN need erased first and foremost.

As newbie, I was not sure quite what to do at each turn. Using google, I struggled to find insightful android documentation for my problem that was current and not about older versions of ANDROID. The Forum experts use acronyms and speak at an expert-level at times, but the gist of what they shared feels/felt sound. But kind of hard to hear Babe-Ruth explain how to hit a HOME RUN and all together different thing to step into the batter's box and hit a HOME RUN.

Anyhow, the XDA FORUM ROCKS. The experts are EXPERT, I'm unworthy. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP.