Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,687 Members 40,259 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Easy way to install CWM or xRecovery

Tip us?
 
DarrenNewsgroup
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Posts: 165
Join Date: Apr 2011
Default Easy way to install CWM or xRecovery

Here is what I believe is a simple way of rooting and installing CWM for Windows.

I have bricked my phone many times now and used SEUS to get it back to 2.1.1.A.0.6 and had to go through the process of rooting and installing CWM again. Here is what I have found.
  1. Download SuperOneClick to a folder, e.g. C:\SuperOneClick
  2. Create a sub-folder under this folder, e.g. C:\SuperOneClick\CWM
  3. Download your preferred version of CWM or xRecovery (should be the 3 files "busybox", "chargemon", "recovery.tar")
  4. Copy these 3 files into the sub-folder you created, e.g. C:\SuperOneClick\CWM
  5. Copy the code snippet below and save as INSTALL.BAT in the sub-folder
  6. Reflash your phone with SEUS to get back to plain 2.1.1.A.0.6
  7. Reboot and set USB debugging mode
  8. Run SuperOneClick and click Root - do not reboot
  9. Once Root has finished click Shell Root - do not reboot
  10. Open a command window and enter CD C:\SuperOneClick\CWM
  11. Run INSTALL.BAT - this will reboot the phone at the end
  12. Press BACK key on the phone at the Sony Ericcson text - you should get into CWM

The benefit of the above is that if you keep the files in the folder above you can repeat from step 6 very easily.

Code:
@echo off
echo.
echo.1) Run SuperOneClick
echo.   a) Click Root - do not reboot
echo.   b) Click Shell Root - do not reboot
echo.2) Press any key in this window to install CWM - phone will reboot
echo.
pause
..\adb devices
..\adb remount
..\adb push busybox /system/bin
..\adb push chargemon /system/bin
..\adb push recovery.tar /system/bin
..\adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox
..\adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/chargemon
..\adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/recovery.tar
..\adb reboot
This technique does not require installing BusyBox from the Market, setting permissions via Root Explorer or anything like that. It just uses SuperOneClick and a small script using the ADB program in the SuperOneClick folder.

I got SuperOneClick from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...7&d=1297434892 (from thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=950324)
I got 2 files for CWM "chargemon" and "recovery.tar" from the ZIP file here http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...5&d=1308237137 (from thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1106146)
I got busybox from the ZIP file here http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...6&d=1297434832 (from thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=950324)

I hope some people find this useful and that I haven't offended the guys where I got the files from (I did list your threads as well as link to your files so others can see all the useful posts in your threads).

Darren
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DarrenNewsgroup For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
svyr
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 124
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenNewsgroup View Post
Here is what I believe is a simple way of rooting and installing CWM for Windows.

I have bricked my phone many times now and used SEUS to get it back to 2.1.1.A.0.6 and had to go through the process of rooting and installing CWM again. Here is what I have found.
  1. Download SuperOneClick to a folder, e.g. C:\SuperOneClick
  2. Create a sub-folder under this folder, e.g. C:\SuperOneClick\CWM
  3. Download your preferred version of CWM or xRecovery (should be the 3 files "busybox", "chargemon", "recovery.tar")
  4. Copy these 3 files into the sub-folder you created, e.g. C:\SuperOneClick\CWM
  5. Copy the code snippet below and save as INSTALL.BAT in the sub-folder
  6. Reflash your phone with SEUS to get back to plain 2.1.1.A.0.6
  7. Reboot and set USB debugging mode
  8. Run SuperOneClick and click Root - do not reboot
  9. Once Root has finished click Shell Root - do not reboot
  10. Open a command window and enter CD C:\SuperOneClick\CWM
  11. Run INSTALL.BAT - this will reboot the phone at the end
  12. Press BACK key on the phone at the Sony Ericcson text - you should get into CWM

The benefit of the above is that if you keep the files in the folder above you can repeat from step 6 very easily.

Code:
@echo off
echo.
echo.1) Run SuperOneClick
echo.   a) Click Root - do not reboot
echo.   b) Click Shell Root - do not reboot
echo.2) Press any key in this window to install CWM - phone will reboot
echo.
pause
..\adb devices
..\adb remount
..\adb push busybox /system/bin
..\adb push chargemon /system/bin
..\adb push recovery.tar /system/bin
..\adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox
..\adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/chargemon
..\adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/recovery.tar
..\adb reboot
This technique does not require installing BusyBox from the Market, setting permissions via Root Explorer or anything like that. It just uses SuperOneClick and a small script using the ADB program in the SuperOneClick folder.

I got SuperOneClick from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...7&d=1297434892 (from thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=950324)
I got 2 files for CWM "chargemon" and "recovery.tar" from the ZIP file here http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...5&d=1308237137 (from thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1106146)
I got busybox from the ZIP file here http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...6&d=1297434832 (from thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=950324)

I hope some people find this useful and that I haven't offended the guys where I got the files from (I did list your threads as well as link to your files so others can see all the useful posts in your threads).

Darren
Very useful, thank you. I usually spend a couple of minutes re-installing CWMR via a root explorer and it annoys me. This saves 10-20 minutes per restore
 
easyyu
Old
#3  
easyyu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 185
Join Date: Mar 2011
It doesn't work..
I bricked my phone 3 timies..
 
svyr
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 124
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyyu View Post
It doesn't work..
I bricked my phone 3 timies..
are you using the same busybox/chargemon and recovery tar that you usually manually install?
 
easyyu
Old
#5  
easyyu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 185
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr View Post
are you using the same busybox/chargemon and recovery tar that you usually manually install?
I'm used files from first post!
 
DarrenNewsgroup
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Posts: 165
Join Date: Apr 2011
@easyyu
I am sorry that your phone got bricked. Unfortunately you will need to reflash your phone via SEUS. After that check your phone settings are the same as mine below. The 3 files work with my phone settings.

My X10 Mini Pro has the following Settings->About Phone
Model number U20i
Firmware version 2.1-update1
Baseband version M76XX-TSNCJOLYM-53404015
Kernel version 2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1
Build number 2.1.1.A.0.6
@svyr
Can you confirm that the above settings are the same as in your phone. This would confirm that the 3 files work for my phone settings.

Darren
 
svyr
Old
(Last edited by svyr; 12th July 2011 at 01:21 PM.)
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 124
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenNewsgroup View Post
@easyyu
I am sorry that your phone got bricked. Unfortunately you will need to reflash your phone via SEUS. After that check your phone settings are the same as mine below. The 3 files work with my phone settings.

My X10 Mini Pro has the following Settings->About Phone
Model number U20i
Firmware version 2.1-update1
Baseband version M76XX-TSNCJOLYM-53404015
Kernel version 2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1
Build number 2.1.1.A.0.6
@svyr
Can you confirm that the above settings are the same as in your phone. This would confirm that the 3 files work for my phone settings.

Darren
yes, the above settings from about are the same on my phone.

Hmmm, just reflashed again, ran it and forgot to include busybox/rebooted.

Now it says it can't copy the files/files are read-only and system

Any ideas?

Aside from following the 'do not reboot' (edit: ran superoneclick again and it's all good (re-run the script))

Can't vouch for the busybox/etc set above, but the on I always used still works when installed this way instead of manually.
 
easyyu
Old
#8  
easyyu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 185
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenNewsgroup View Post
@easyyu
I am sorry that your phone got bricked. Unfortunately you will need to reflash your phone via SEUS. After that check your phone settings are the same as mine below. The 3 files work with my phone settings.

My X10 Mini Pro has the following Settings->About Phone
Model number U20i
Firmware version 2.1-update1
Baseband version M76XX-TSNCJOLYM-53404015
Kernel version 2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1
Build number 2.1.1.A.0.6
@svyr
Can you confirm that the above settings are the same as in your phone. This would confirm that the 3 files work for my phone settings.

Darren
Yes this is the right parameters that you mentioned!
I know how to unbrick my phone..thats not problem!
 
svyr
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 124
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr View Post
yes, the above settings from about are the same on my phone.

Hmmm, just reflashed again, ran it and forgot to include busybox/rebooted.

Now it says it can't copy the files/files are read-only and system

Any ideas?

Aside from following the 'do not reboot' (edit: ran superoneclick again and it's all good (re-run the script))

Can't vouch for the busybox/etc set above, but the on I always used still works when installed this way instead of manually.
ps here's the one I use. Can't remember where the chargemon is from, but busybox is from xrec mini and CWM is 3.2.0 rc3
Attached Files
File Type: 7z rec.7z - [Click for QR Code] (1.22 MB, 117 views)
 
bigbrother69
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 51
Join Date: May 2009
I made this, a lot of test give a lot of success, but it's only for mini pro.

CWM recovery by this script easily: http://www.multiupload.com/NDZB8HSIOV

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


ARChos Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more

MultiROM Makes Its Way to the LG G2

Over the last few weeks, we’ve seen quite a fewflagship (and former flagship) devicesget to … more