Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more
Thread Deleted

The new toshiba thrive

OP goodintentions

12th July 2011, 07:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 733

2,545 posts
Donate to Me
Did anyone see the new toshiba thrive yet? Sure, it's got nice features, but it's thicker and heavier than the gtab. Remember all those whines about how humongous and heavy the gtab was? Some people even described it as weighing a ton. Well, how on Earth are the going to survive with the thrive? LOL
12th July 2011, 08:13 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

78 posts
I have one. Bought one Sunday as an upgrade to the gTab for me and handed off the gTab to my wife.

And overall, it is an upgrade. Honeycomb stock out of the box. Screen is much better, no problems with viewing angles. It weighs more and is slightly larger, but I don't notice. And with the weight and the textured back, it is actually easier to hold onto than the gTab.

Also, GPS, full size SD, user replaceable battery, and rear camera...all big upgrades over the gTab. Not as much modding yet, and the bootloader is locked, but it's coming.

The few negatives over the gTab: price (obviously), the charging cable is a laptop-like brick, and the SD card fits in the top and sticks out slightly (vs being tucked away in the gTab). Volume and portrait are the reverse...not so much a negative, but having to get used to.
12th July 2011, 08:27 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

20 posts
I'm all for more tegra 2-based tablets on the market; I doubt I'll buy one as my gTab does what I need after some fiddling, but if someone just wants something that works out of the box (and has good specs for a reasonable price), the Thrive looks like a decent option. Then again, so is the eeePad.
12th July 2011, 08:57 PM   |  #4  
Flag San Jose, CA
Thanks Meter: 6

179 posts
If I can sell enough crap on craigslist Im just going to buy an ipad2. I dont care what my wife says. She can wait for her damn diamond ear rings! Google OS = Fail in my eyes. I was hopeful, i waited, and with no out reach to the people who asked for help. They have failed us. With only a couple of months away, iOS5 is looking mighty fine. And believe me, its a sad day when I buy an Apple product. 20 year hater.....soon to be lover.
12th July 2011, 09:20 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 733

2,545 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAniX.one

If I can sell enough crap on craigslist Im just going to buy an ipad2. I dont care what my wife says. She can wait for her damn diamond ear rings! Google OS = Fail in my eyes. I was hopeful, i waited, and with no out reach to the people who asked for help. They have failed us. With only a couple of months away, iOS5 is looking mighty fine. And believe me, its a sad day when I buy an Apple product. 20 year hater.....soon to be lover.

Here's my take on apple vs google vs microsoft.

I love apple. I highly recommend it to everyone. I absolutely love the fact that they make their software with dummies in mind. Speaking as the techie that's been helping dummies for years, it is at times frustrating. I'm certainly glad there's a company out there that makes all their softwares with dummies in mind.

The only reason I don't use apple products is I want to keep myself on my toes. I don't want to ever become lazy minded. I want to constantly force myself to learn new things. This is why I regularly purposely do dumb things to my gadgets to replicate people's problems.

I say go for the ipad. It is a great product. I've used it before. I absolutely love it. You'll have a great time with it.
12th July 2011, 09:47 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 32

203 posts
The Thrive looks great. The inclusion of a full size SD Card slot seems so obvious for a device this size. It frustrates me to no end that the Gtab requires a micro SD Card, which results in more expensive storage for slower throughput. A 32GB Class 10 SD card is $50 compared to the $80 Class 4 Micro SD equivalent. When I get my quad core tablet a year from now there better be a SD Card port.
15th July 2011, 09:34 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 19

179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelGrad1998

Not as much modding yet, and the bootloader is locked, but it's coming.

The bootloader is unlocked from the factory. I know, because I bricked my Thrive
16th July 2011, 06:07 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

154 posts
More
I thought G-Tab didnt have an SD SLOT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelGrad1998

I have one. Bought one Sunday as an upgrade to the gTab for me and handed off the gTab to my wife.

And overall, it is an upgrade. Honeycomb stock out of the box. Screen is much better, no problems with viewing angles. It weighs more and is slightly larger, but I don't notice. And with the weight and the textured back, it is actually easier to hold onto than the gTab.

Also, GPS, full size SD, user replaceable battery, and rear camera...all big upgrades over the gTab. Not as much modding yet, and the bootloader is locked, but it's coming.

The few negatives over the gTab: price (obviously), the charging cable is a laptop-like brick, and the SD card fits in the top and sticks out slightly (vs being tucked away in the gTab). Volume and portrait are the reverse...not so much a negative, but having to get used to.

16th July 2011, 08:27 PM   |  #9  
Columbus
Thanks Meter: 15

170 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinks

I thought G-Tab didnt have an SD SLOT???

There is a microSD slot and USB port on the left side under the cover right below the power button.
19th July 2011, 12:09 AM   |  #10  
Flag Tarpon Springs
Thanks Meter: 141

981 posts
More
I just picked up a thrive and i think it is Awesome!! had a asus eepad and went through three of them because of screen bleed. the thrive is awesome full usb, HDMI, and sdcard the docks are dirt keep. battery backs comes in different colors. the asus doesn't compare in my book neither does the g-tablet. it was my first tablet and the viewing area sucked.

Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread