22nd August 2011, 04:18 PM   |  #841  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,645

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo81

I've installed SD Booster and set the cache to 256 kb.

I believe it has improved the reset situation, but not eliminated them. I'm still getting 2 or 3 resets a day (vs ~10).

I'll keep playing I guess - sure would like to figure out what is causing it. Anyone know of better logs to look at than dropbox (not revealing much)?

Checkout my Speed Improvments thread. Perhaps that will help? I think I should probably add the cache topic as well. Results seem to vary drastically depending on the SD card. Might want to try different values to see if it makes any more of a difference - AFAIK the lowest setting is 128kb.

As for logs, with these types of resets (within Android) you should not lose any logs at all. Not sure to be honest, but I would think logcat would still roll, although that log does scroll off the buffer pretty quick (as they all do, but logcat seems to be the quickest one to overrun its buffer).

I'm kind of wondering if it is your SD card in general - have you tried a different card? Could be the time it takes to write on your SD is killing everything, and if the system hangs up, killall zygote is sent and boom... back to the boot animation.
The Following User Says Thank You to arrrghhh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd August 2011, 08:11 PM   |  #842  
Thanks Meter: 1

36 posts
More
Amazing development work. Really appreciate it!

One minor question: I installed Talking Tom in this Android and couldn't get Tom hear my voice and play back in a funny way. Other features work fine.

Anyone know why or is there a workaround?

Thanks
22nd August 2011, 08:35 PM   |  #843  
Thanks Meter: 6

25 posts
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try. I have to find another microsd card somewhere.

But just as a clarification, i'm not getting the killall zygote to the animation screen. I'm getting full on resets into winmo. (I have seen the behavior you're speaking of, but not nearly as often as the full reset into winmo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh

I'm kind of wondering if it is your SD card in general - have you tried a different card? Could be the time it takes to write on your SD is killing everything, and if the system hangs up, killall zygote is sent and boom... back to the boot animation.

22nd August 2011, 08:50 PM   |  #844  
Flag El Tigrito, AnzoŠtegui
Thanks Meter: 11

140 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try. I have to find another microsd card somewhere.

But just as a clarification, i'm not getting the killall zygote to the animation screen. I'm getting full on resets into winmo. (I have seen the behavior you're speaking of, but not nearly as often as the full reset into winmo).

I used to have a soft reboot each and every time I installed or updated an app from Market.

Installed SD Booster, set cache to 256 Kb and up until now everything works perfect! I even dare say the phone is more responsive!

Thanks!
22nd August 2011, 09:43 PM   |  #845  

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruisi

Amazing development work. Really appreciate it!

One minor question: I installed Talking Tom in this Android and couldn't get Tom hear my voice and play back in a funny way. Other features work fine.

Anyone know why or is there a workaround?

Thanks

Everyone has issues with this app. I don't use it, I don't get the point. Is there a use for this app? I might try to troubleshoot it if there is some use case, but I can't see one.

If you want to troubleshoot on your own, perhaps booting Android with a call into voicemail (perhaps on speakerphone) will help. Keep the call going while you boot Android. This was an old trick used back in the day when there was issues where the mic wasn't properly initialized.

I'm sure the new audio routing code will resolve this issue, assuming it ever stabilizes .

Quote:

Now let's be careful here. Resets to WinMo are kernel panics, almost 100% of the time. Resets within Android (back to the boot animation) all stem from the system hanging and becoming unresponsive. Not sure the exact metrics, but if the system is unreachable for a certain period of time, it will force the phone to reset itself.
22nd August 2011, 11:11 PM   |  #846  
Flag Sokolov
Thanks Meter: 2

28 posts
More
Hi, Is there someone who can please help me with DroidExplorer, I still can't get it to work (I know, I'm noob in things like that). Thanks a lot.
22nd August 2011, 11:37 PM   |  #847  

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky522

Hi, Is there someone who can please help me with DroidExplorer, I still can't get it to work (I know, I'm noob in things like that). Thanks a lot.

Might want to explain the problems you're having with it.

Is it the USB drivers? Did you use PDA.net as directed? I'm assuming this is Windows? What actually is failing? Where are you getting stuck...? Do any devices show!?!?!
22nd August 2011, 11:58 PM   |  #848  
Thanks Meter: 6

25 posts
So I am experiencing kernel panics? That does not sound good. I can't imagine me executing some code path that is unique. I know there are others experiencing the full resets into winmo. Like I said, I didn't have this problem in FRX06 - and i've reinstalled data.img a few times as well as formatted the SD card using HP Tool.

You would think a kernel panic would leave remnants of something in the logs, but I haven't been able to find any. I'll keep digging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh

Now let's be careful here. Resets to WinMo are kernel panics, almost 100% of the time. Resets within Android (back to the boot animation) all stem from the system hanging and becoming unresponsive. Not sure the exact metrics, but if the system is unreachable for a certain period of time, it will force the phone to reset itself.

23rd August 2011, 12:21 AM   |  #849  

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

So I am experiencing kernel panics? That does not sound good. I can't imagine me executing some code path that is unique. I know there are others experiencing the full resets into winmo. Like I said, I didn't have this problem in FRX06 - and i've reinstalled data.img a few times as well as formatted the SD card using HP Tool.

You would think a kernel panic would leave remnants of something in the logs, but I haven't been able to find any. I'll keep digging.

Well resets to WinMo, you'll only get logs from Dropbox/ramconsole. You won't get logs any other way...

Kernel panics can happen for many reasons. Even things like a bad SD card could cause it. Obviously kernel panics should never happen, but our kernel is far from perfect . In reality, the kernel should be hardened against anything that could cause a panic, it should just generate an error for userland to deal with.

Make sure you're on the newest kernel & rootfs.
23rd August 2011, 01:59 AM   |  #850  
Thanks Meter: 1

66 posts
More
Hello guys, my internet stopped working n i realized the 3G sign is gone. i tried turning my phone off n back on but still the same problem. i cant update anything or even receive mms. can anyone help me out?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
htc touch pro2, xdandroid
Previous Thread Next Thread