Please ask all questions in relation to issues you are having following the FAQ instructions to make it easier to answer your questions and easier for us to track the solutions that way the FAQ post is as up to date and accurate as possible.
As the GT10.1 landscape changes this thread will get updated. I will try and keep everything as simple and to the point as possible. Contributors will be much appreciated.
Turn device off. Then hold down power + volume down button (the button closer to power button) until you see two icons appear then let go. Left icon (box) is recovery and right icon (Android robot) is Download. Use Vol. down to navigate then vol. up to select.
Just tap volume up when you have highlighted the android robot icon. You should see downloading appear under the icon.
Vol. up/down to navigate up or down and power button to select.
This is what you use to install ROMs/KERNELs and even themes for your specific roms when they become available. Just highlight the box icon and hit Vol. up. What we are doing now is replacing the stock recovery on your device with Clockwork Mod Recovery which allows you install unsigned ROMs/Kernels/Updates. When in recovery mode you can also back up whatever current ROM you have on your device so if you install a new ROM and something goes wrong you could always use recovery to restore. Whenever you install a new ROM it's advised to always wipe the device using cwmR to ensure a more stable install. Install new ROMS will also mean you will be losing all the apps on your device. It will look like you have a brand new device after the install unless its an update.zip for whatever rom you are currently on and the developer of that rom supports it.
Don't worry about losing your apps as you can always re-download them once you sync your device with your google account. However, the state of those apps and your settings will be lost, so I strongly suggest that you use an app like titanium back up and always make a back up of your apps before flashing any new ROMs. Check in the Recommended Apps section for a direct link to Titanium backup.
Here is the clockwork mod menu
- Reboot system now (self explanatory )
- Apply update from SDcard. (when you connect your device to your computer it will show up as tablet. The SDcard that cwm refers to is simply your device storage. Always make sure to copy install.zips to the root directory of your tablet storage.) You use this when applying an update for a specific ROM if that is what the ROM developer says.
- Wipe Data/ Factory Reset You should always do this before you install a new ROM or if you are having minor issues with your device.
- Wipe cache partition Think of this as the lite version of whats above . If you do above though it doesn't hurt to do this too.
- Install zip from SDcard Use this to install new ROMs.
- Back up and Restore
- Mounts and Storage use this to connect your device to your computer when in recovery mode. It is also possible to transfer files to your device while in this mode.
- Advanced What you are interested in here is something called dalvik cache, you want to wipe this too before installing any new ROM
- Power off
CLICK ME FOR ALL TERMINOLOGY DEFINITIONS
Nvflash is a low level formatting and imaging tool. If you don't have a working recovery, or have broken the actual boot-loader on your tablet, this is the tool you will need to turn to. For those with unlocked bootloaders (and no fastboot capability), its the best way to root your device. Nvflash is pretty much NVida's version of say an ODIN program but done through cmd prompt. It can save a tablet if one is soft/semi-bricked or maybe full-bricked. To use nvFlash you must first put your tablet in APX mode (think of it as a way to allow you use commands on your computer to control your tablet).
Refer to this thread for downloads and instructions.
So off we go.
ROOTING YOUR TAB
GO TO SamsunFirmware.com AND DOWNLOAD A STOCK FIRMWARE FOR YOUR TAB VERSION> KEEP IN SAFE PLACE!!!!!!! You are already on the right page just scroll down.
Courtesy of RoboBear
GOOGLE I/O & RETAIL WIFI VERSION
DOWNLOADS compiled and hosted by tphillips
Content - GT-p7510_USB_Driver | hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip(StockROM) | Odin3_v1.85 | recovery-cwm_126.96.36.199-sam-tab-10.1.tar.md5 | stockretail.tar.md5(recovery) | Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root
Download FilesForDummies.zip here
DONT WIPE during any part of this process. Make sure to put the stock rom from the download package on your device/use CWM and do a backup of your rom before you start anything in case something goes wrong. You have been warned!!!!!
1. Install samsung USB driver or download samsung Kies and install on your computer which will in turn install the drivers for you.
2. Run Odin.exe, choose PDA and point it to recovery.md5 file.
3. Connect tab via usb to your computer while in downloading mode then hit start in Odin on computer after connection has been established. Run, wait then reboot.
4. Connect tab to computer in usb storage mode (make sure usb debugging is off in tab settings) copy root exploit (Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip) to you tablet and take note of where it is. You can skip this part i fyou downloaded this file with your tablet.. Turn off tab. Reboot into bootloader again but this time go to recovery. Select to install zip from SDcard. navigate to where the root.zip is. Install the root.zip. Reboot into android. Your tablet is rooted.
You can also refer to this well made Video showing the whole procedure or this other awesome video by Dansan682.
1. Download this Root.zip file to your tablet and move it to root directory of tablet storage. (you can also download on comp. then transfer to tablet)
2. Reboot tab and go into recovery mode and apply the root.zip you just downloaded.
3. Then reboot
For CWM [B]
1. After rooting download and install Rom Manager from market.
2. open Rom Manager app and have it install clockwork Mod to your device, you should see your device listed within Rom manager.
Courtesy of Robobear
[GTP7500] courtesy of poitee
1. Copy Files to root of device storage.
2. Boot into Bootloader mode and navigate to and enter recovery mode.
3. Apply Kernel.zip then recovery.zip
UNROOTING & RESTORING STOCK RECOVERY
1. Using CWM Flash the stock rom for your device. This unroots your device and basically makes it like a brand new tablet.
2. Use Odin to flash the stock recovery from the filesfordummies.zip.
3. Done, your device is exactly how it was when you picked it up.
FLASHING ROMS AND KERNELS
This is pretty easy as long as you have CWM on your device.
Simply boot CWM recovery, navigate to either update/instal zip from SDcard (pls adhere to ROM/kernel install instructions) and flash the .zip file of the ROM or kernel.
I will update this section with links to all the existing and stable ROMs and kernels as the become available. I will advice that you hold off on the kernels if you can as every stable kernel will eventually get cooked into a ROM unless of course you want to help test them or be on the bleeding edge .
AVAILABLE ROMS & KERNELS
★ - WIFI
★ - 4G
★ - 3G
★ - Custom ROM
★ - Kernel
If your Device is supported the stars will tell you all you need to know.
★[ROM]Stock US Retail WiFi in case something goes wrong
[Solution] HC 3.1 OTA Stock ODIN
★ [ROM][STOCK][ARABIC][AUG'13]W/ Official TOUCHWIZ
★★ [ROM][CWM] 3.1|WiFi|Touchwiz UX|DEODEXED
★★ [ROM][CWM] 3.1|WiFi|Touchwiz UX [UPDATE: New WiFi Base Rom]
★★ [ROM][CWM]3.1|WiFi|Bonsai ROM|ToucWiz option|
★★ [ROM][CWM]3.1| Blazar TW Rom|OC 1.6GH Kernel|Prerooted| by Poitee
★★ [ROM] [CWM]3.1|StarBurst ROM| by PhantomHacker
★★ [ROM][CWM][EUR][3G] BroodComb G-P7500 XWKG9 [ALPHA]
★★ [ROM]Task650's KME ROM UEKME Touchwhiz
★★ [KERNEL] 3.1|WiFi|OC 1.4GHZ| by Pershoot
★★[ROM] LiquidSpeed>>> New!!!
★★[KERNEL] 3.1|WiFi|OC1.6GHZ|Voltage Control|Voodoo Sound|CIFS-NTFS| by Poitee
[TABUNTU] Galaxy Tab 10.1 NATIVE Ubuntu WIFI now with a video
IRC ONLINE CHAT
Drop in HERE if you need some Help . #gtab
ROM/KERNEL/THEMES/UPDATES BETA TESTING!!!!
Ever wanted to get whats coming before anyone else (never mind the small issue of being a guinea pig ) Well here is your chance. In this section I will put up the contact info of any dev currently looking for testers and for a limited duration, once the devs has all their testers his link will be closed. You can also think of this section as a great way to see what is coming and what stage of development its in. So stop just downloading stuff people, now you can actually really contribute to making what gets released the best it can be and as bug free as possible.
Be sure to ask whatever questions you have in relation to anything and any problems you come across. But please start every question you have with either a
(Q) basically letting me know its a question or a
(P) letting me know its a problem
I will put up all your questions or problems on here so everyone can see them and the answers or fixes . this way people won't have to filter through tons of pages to get help.
(Q) Should I follow these instructions for an IO edition tab? Or should I just use the fastboot flash [cwm recover] and flash the zips through that?
(A) This method will work on the IO version.
(Q) kernel 188.8.131.52 is a NO-GO for the 3G version?
(A) Yes, it doesn't work on the 3G version yet.
(Q) If my tab ins locked does that mean i cant flash kernels on it?
(A) You can flash anything as long as you have a recovery that will support it. In our case CWM. Being locked and unlocked really only stops you from flashing stuff "easily" but since we can change the recovery, we can flash anything.
(Q) Does the Odin file wipe tab?
(A) No. All Odin is doing here is flashing a new recovery to your tab. Nothing more.
(P) Can't see tablet as USB storage device on Mac.
(A) Unfortunately Android and Macs don't play nice... you best bet is to use dropbox or a simple bluetooth transfer to transfer files from your mac to your tablet. Then on your Tab use a file manager app to move your files to where you want them to be. For now. Another option is to download everything that requires you using CWM with your tablet so its all already there. So in CWM all you have to do is navigate to your downloads folder. I just created a folder called mods and I have them all there.
(P) Stuck in BootLoop after Flashing ROM via Odin.
(A) You should use nvFlash to falsh CWM if you don't still have it then do a full wipe of your device including reformating all partions in mounts and storage except the boot partition then using Odin install a stock Rom on your device.
(P) I messed things up on my LTE tab and I now somehow dont have a recovery mode anymore!!!!!
(A) Go Here and scroll to post #4 and follow tijayz instructions.... make sure to thank him!!!
USER TIPS AND RECOMMENDED APPS
1. Working Hulu
2. How to utilize the entire screen for setting widgets and icons without the 1inch gap on the sides? Use ADW launcher EX
3. Rotation Lag Fix
4. Look here for a Mod to permanently set your browser user agnet to desktop. No more mobile sites.
RECOMMENDED APPS!!!!!go on!!, find an awesome app and suggest it to be added to this list!!! Only android market or direct .apk links so isers can download and install straight from their devices
ADW Launcher EX
Multipicture Live wallpaper. Kiss weirdly cropped wallpapers goodbye
Dolphin Browser HD
Pulse news Reader
AutoDesk SketchBook Pro
File Manager HD (honeycomb)
All credit goes to all the awesome devs and members of xda. I have done nothing but make this thread.