Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,101 Members 43,018 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is the Droid 3 unlockable (SIM carrier) for AT&T or T-Mobile USA?

Tip us?

Savior057
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
AFAIK if you want to use Droid3 on AT&T in USA, you must do what I did and get an XT860, then unlock it.

You can root it, and also recover it if you manage to brick it using the Chinese ROM from the ME863 which has the same hardware as the XT860.
- - Unlocked XT860 - -

The Solutor
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyx3 View Post
But what about unlocking the US based GSM carriers?
And what about the aosp roms?
Is the restriction in the rom, or in the radio file?
Only the D2g with an earlier FWs can be band unlocked, D2g with updated FW and D3 can't.

The part that control the lock is moved in a section that is untouchable because the locked bootloader.

So, for now, NO you can't use an XT 862 in GSM mode in the US. PERIOD.

If you need it, get a Milestone 3

leobg
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
Only the D2g with an earlier FWs can be band unlocked, D2g with updated FW and D3 can't.

The part that control the lock is moved in a section that is untouchable because the locked bootloader.

So, for now, NO you can't use an XT 862 in GSM mode in the US. PERIOD.

If you need it, get a Milestone 3
What about flashing XT883 firmware, wouldn't this lift the ban on US GSM carriers since XT883, I assume isn't banned from being used in the USA?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
leobg

The Solutor
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by leobg View Post
What about flashing XT883 firmware, wouldn't this lift the ban on US GSM carriers since XT883, I assume isn't banned from being used in the USA?
I assume it too, but i assume also that, as usual, replacing a FW won't remove any kind of locks, btw I can't try this in first person, you need a volunteer from the US to have a 100% sure response.

(the XT883 rom can be flashed safely, and you can get back to verizon w/o any problem)

midmay
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I'm able to flash xt883/xt862 firmware to xt862 (Droid 3), both of them works on China Telecom including 3G, but need some modification to xt862 firmware.

And what about xt883 firmware on xt862 in US? Interesting...

un1ocked
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmay View Post
I'm able to flash xt883/xt862 firmware to xt862 (Droid 3), both of them works on China Telecom including 3G, but need some modification to xt862 firmware.

And what about xt883 firmware on xt862 in US? Interesting...
please analyze the nv items, i think there are some clue there
i hope i can unlock the droid 2 global also

leobg
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
I assume it too, but i assume also that, as usual, replacing a FW won't remove any kind of locks, btw I can't try this in first person, you need a volunteer from the US to have a 100% sure response.

(the XT883 rom can be flashed safely, and you can get back to verizon w/o any problem)
TBH mentioned (re D2G band unlock) Verizon asked Motorola to implement the ban on baseband level (not in NV settings) so it is more difficult to break (to break it you have to break the signature since radio is signed - right?)
I am assuming (since I can't try) that ban is done the same way on XT862 - inside actual radio image. Since XT883 bears different radio image, there is chance ban will not be present there.
But as you said - until we get someone in the US to try it we can't say for sure. If it works - I am sure XT883 firmware will become much more popular in the States..
leobg

JMM2009
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Default I'm Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by leobg View Post
TBH mentioned (re D2G band unlock) Verizon asked Motorola to implement the ban on baseband level (not in NV settings) so it is more difficult to break (to break it you have to break the signature since radio is signed - right?)
I am assuming (since I can't try) that ban is done the same way on XT862 - inside actual radio image. Since XT883 bears different radio image, there is chance ban will not be present there.
But as you said - until we get someone in the US to try it we can't say for sure. If it works - I am sure XT883 firmware will become much more popular in the States..
I have a Verizon XT862 What all do I need to test it out?

The Solutor
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM2009 View Post
I have a Verizon XT862 What all do I need to test it out?

Basically flash the XT883 rom, following the instructions in the related thread, and look if with that rom the GSM works in the US.

BTW seem that a an hack to unlock the D2g with the GB kernel has surfaced lately, so possibly the band unlocking for D3 is getting closer (they are basically the same phone).

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/8326-d2g-...and-unlockers/

jawsofire
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Basically flash the XT883 rom, following the instructions in the related thread, and look if with that rom the GSM works in the US.

BTW seem that a an hack to unlock the D2g with the GB kernel has surfaced lately, so possibly the band unlocking for D3 is getting closer (they are basically the same phone).

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/8326-d2g-...and-unlockers/

I followed the instruction here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1249720 I didn't apply the update however. Popped in my T-Mobile SIM card and it won't recognize the card. Not sure if I did something wrong or it just doesn't work. Is there a way to unlock the SIM?