Bring Back LTE on the Google Nexus 4 Running Lollipop

One of the predecessors of the latest, largest, and greatest Gooogle Nexus 6(theGoogle … more

Google Maps, My Maps, YouTube, Androidify, Slides, Music Updated–Here’s What’s New

In the last few weeks, Google has been … more

SuperSU BETA: Root Android Lollipop on Stock Kernel

Up until now, if you wanted to get root on Android 5.0, you needed to flash a modified … more

Android App Review: Get Amaze with Material Design – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. Android 5.0 … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[APP] Go Home - a Home Button Replacement App

OP idiotjohn

18th July 2011, 03:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Ever wanted an app which you can run which just takes you to your home screen?
Have you broken your home button, and now to get to your home screen, you have to press back continuously?

No longer will you desire such an app - It is here for you!

An app so simple that it doesn't need options.

Just run it and it takes you to your home screen.


----
Note: On the first run of the app, a blank screen may appear for a short time before it redirects. Do not worry this is normal behavior! Every run after that, it will redirect to your home screen.

-----------
Download
-----------

You can find this app on the Marketplace: https://market.android.com/details?i...iotjohn.gohome

The Following User Says Thank You to idiotjohn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th July 2011, 04:43 AM   |  #2  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,496
 
4,690 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotjohn

Ever wanted an app which you can run which just takes you to your home screen?
Have you broken your home button, and now to get to your home screen, you have to press back continuously?

No longer will you desire such an app - It is here for you!

An app so simple that it doesn't need options.

Just run it and it takes you to your home screen.


----
Note: On the first run of the app, a blank screen may appear for a short time before it redirects. Do not worry this is normal behavior! Every run after that, it will redirect to your home screen.

-----------
Download
-----------

You can find this app on the Marketplace: https://market.android.com/details?i...iotjohn.gohome

And how exactly do you launch the app when you can't get to your app drawer except from your home screen? Kind of stupid, if you ask me. You should make it so that it keeps a persistent notification that takes you home when selected, because the notification bar is everywhere, the app drawer button is not.
18th July 2011, 04:45 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSolstice

And how exactly do you launch the app when you can't get to your app drawer except from your home screen? Kind of stupid, if you ask me. You should make it so that it keeps a persistent notification that takes you home when selected, because the notification bar is everywhere, the app drawer button is not.

I use the app called switchpad to put it as a menu attached to one edge of my screen.

I am just a beginner developer so I will attempt to include the persistent notification feature in my next release.

John
18th July 2011, 04:50 AM   |  #4  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,496
 
4,690 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotjohn

I use the app called switchpad to put it as a menu attached to one edge of my screen.

I am just a beginner developer so I will attempt to include the persistent notification feature in my next release.

John

It's a fantastic idea, but I'm not familiar with switchpad. It's a great start, but I think the most mainstream usage of it would be the persistent notification.

I didn't mean to come off as sharp, I know developing takes time and effort, so keep at it
18th July 2011, 05:09 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Thanks

I'm currently working on the persistent notification, and have added it. Im just double checking everything works properly before release...

The release after this will have an option as to enable it or not haha.

John
21st July 2011, 01:10 PM   |  #6  
ABQNM's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Albuquerque, NM
Thanks Meter: 224
 
513 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
Donate to Me
More
You can also use an app called LaunchKey that attaches to the long press of your search button. This may help for those with just a broken home button.

I am not familiar with the app from above, but WaveLauncher would work as well. It allows gestures from the area of the screen you define (similar to the swipe up on the Palm Pre). It also has a nifty feature that if you press and hold for a user defined time on the gesture area, it will launch its own app drawer from within any application.

Great job on this simple but useful app! Keep it up! I know a few people with broken buttons that may benefit from this.
21st July 2011, 01:26 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Colton, NY
Thanks Meter: 983
 
3,227 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
I use an app called zMooth which replaces the Menu, Home and Back buttons with swipe gestures that you make at the bottom of the screen.

Here is a video of it running on my Droid X, the video is a little choppy but it gives you an idea of how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0JaRmVOees
21st July 2011, 01:41 PM   |  #8  
exadeci's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 128
 
526 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotjohn

Thanks

I'm currently working on the persistent notification, and have added it. Im just double checking everything works properly before release...

The release after this will have an option as to enable it or not haha.

John

I prefer it this way because I use wavelauncher and I don't need another app running in background
21st July 2011, 08:16 PM   |  #9  
sanghaviraj's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
319 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Question Launcher pro short cut can also do this
I too use swipe pad a must for big screen like sgs2,n I too felt the need for a way to trigger home,i googled but cudnt find any thing but just few days ago I tried to put launcher pro as short cut on the swipe pad n it did the trick ,wht am I now missing is a way to to show recent app ,as u normally get by holding ur home button any one knows the way to it,
23rd July 2011, 10:57 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
And how is this different from using Home Manager to create a shortcut to your home screen to use with SwipePad? Home Manager simply allows me to do all what your app can do and even more, like switching between launchers and shortcut on the notification bar

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
app, button, gohome, home, replacement
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes