5,595,339 Members 48,375 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phone will not boot past recovery. Please help, major panic!!

Tip us?

Lagamorph
Old
(Last edited by Lagamorph; 19th July 2011 at 06:56 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Phone will not boot past recovery. Please help, major panic!!

Oh dear.....I hope I haven't destroyed my O3D....

I was attempting to install the V10D update, so used the backup I took right after rooting and installing ROM Manager to restore the phone to its status before installing the performance pack. If I tried installing the update OTA before this I just got an invalid package error.

So the restore went well and it rebooted fine. So I ran the update again, and it downloaded and appeared to install, but when the phone rebooted it just booted straight into the recovery. I tried to get it to reboot again, but again it just booted back into recovery.

Ok, nothing to worry about I thought, I just ran the restore again with the same restore point as before....but after it finished it's still booting back up into the recovery!!! No matter what I do the phone just seems to keep booting into the recovery menu. I've tried booting into emergency mode by powering the phone off, then holding the UP Volume key and holding power, but it doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone help? Please?

Lil update -
When powering off the phone and then connecting it to the USB cable, it automatically boots into recovery mode without me even touching the power button. At this point the LG Mobile Update detects the phone and advises me that there's an update available. I try to apply this, but after entering the SN and IMEI, it just gives me a message "Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update". I get the same error if I use the recovery Phone option. This always happens at the download stage, so is it possible that it's just failing to download the update from LG rather than actually do anything with the phone?
Please don't tell me I've ruined my brand new phone!!

madshaun1984
Old
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Unfortunatly, you've managed to do the same as I have... leave the phone for e a few days and wait for a rom that you can install via clockwork recovery, you'll have your phone up and running again. Dont do as I did and wipe the recovery from the phone, it will result in a total brick (or at least a brick till LG releaase a full rom update (could be months yet...).

Lagamorph
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Oh man, I'm panicking so much that I might have ruined the phone now.....

madshaun1984
Old
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
read this thread for more info... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post15762389

Lagamorph
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshaun1984 View Post
I'm not sure what I'm looking for there, I've looked through that thread but it doesn't seem relevant to the problem I'm having.

Renegade_Rulez
Old
Thanks Meter 25
I have the same problem, if you put it into emergency mode you can update to 10d but then its even worse then you are stuck in the firmware update screen

tomorrow I leave on holiday and was planning for nice 3d pictures and movies but I am screwed...

m33ts4k0z
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagamorph View Post
Oh dear.....I hope I haven't destroyed my O3D....

I was attempting to install the V10D update, so used the backup I took right after rooting and installing ROM Manager to restore the phone to its status before installing the performance pack. If I tried installing the update OTA before this I just got an invalid package error.

So the restore went well and it rebooted fine. So I ran the update again, and it downloaded and appeared to install, but when the phone rebooted it just booted straight into the recovery. I tried to get it to reboot again, but again it just booted back into recovery.

Ok, nothing to worry about I thought, I just ran the restore again with the same restore point as before....but after it finished it's still booting back up into the recovery!!! No matter what I do the phone just seems to keep booting into the recovery menu. I've tried booting into emergency mode by powering the phone off, then holding the UP Volume key and holding power, but it doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone help? Please?

Lil update -
When powering off the phone and then connecting it to the USB cable, it automatically boots into recovery mode without me even touching the power button. At this point the LG Mobile Update detects the phone and advises me that there's an update available. I try to apply this, but after entering the SN and IMEI, it just gives me a message "Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update". I get the same error if I use the recovery Phone option. This always happens at the download stage, so is it possible that it's just failing to download the update from LG rather than actually do anything with the phone?
Please don't tell me I've ruined my brand new phone!!
Don't panic, I managed to totally brick my phone today and LG told me to send it back for DOA but I managed to recover it in the end.

My phone wouldn't show anything on the screen, it remained black so I can say your position sounds much better than mine.

What you will need:

USB Drivers - Download from here (Check note)
LG Mobile Support Tool (LGMST) - Download from here
Before you start: Disconnect the phone from the computer and totally remove the battery.

So here we go:

!!!REMOVE ALL THE LG USB DRIVERS FROM THE SYSTEM BEFORE YOU CONTINUE!!! Go to add remove programs, select the LG United entry and then uninstall it.
  1. First install the USB Driver from the link above and wait until it has finished with the setup.
  2. Then run the LGMST. When it starts and it says "Disconnected." then put the battery back to the phone and connect the phone to the computer.
  3. Press ONLY the Power button and wait until something happens. If you see that the phones boots and the LGMST starts it by itself then wait till it stops with all the information gathering stuff.
  4. Then regardless of what the program says of you having an update or not, DON'T START THAT UPDATE!
  5. Click on alt on the keyboard and the from the menus at the top select Customer and then emergency(the last option).
  6. Type in the phones IMEI (located at the box of the phone or on a sticker under the battery) without dashes, just numbers.
  7. Finally click on Check and follow the instructions on the screen.
  8. You should be ready as new after 10-15 minutes with the standard V10B firmware and you should not even lose data.

Tell me if that helped so if it didn't we can still fix it I'm sure

Note: I'm aware that 3.3.0 is the latest USB driver that it ships with the phone but for some reason I had only success to flash the phone using the older 3.2.1
The Following User Says Thank You to m33ts4k0z For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Renegade_Rulez
Old
Thanks Meter 25
That does not work for our problem, just a blank screen is better than stuck in firmware update mode :s

Lagamorph
Old
(Last edited by Lagamorph; 19th July 2011 at 07:08 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m33ts4k0z View Post
Don't panic, I managed to totally brick my phone today and LG told me to send it back for DOA but I managed to recover it in the end.

My phone wouldn't show anything on the screen, it remained black so I can say your position sounds much better than mine.

What you will need:

USB Drivers - Download from here (Check note)
LG Mobile Support Tool (LGMST) - Download from here
Before you start: Disconnect the phone from the computer and totally remove the battery.

So here we go:

!!!REMOVE ALL THE LG USB DRIVERS FROM THE SYSTEM BEFORE YOU CONTINUE!!! Go to add remove programs, select the LG United entry and then uninstall it.
  1. First install the USB Driver from the link above and wait until it has finished with the setup.
  2. Then run the LGMST. When it starts and it says "Disconnected." then put the battery back to the phone and connect the phone to the computer.
  3. Press ONLY the Power button and wait until something happens. If you see that the phones boots and the LGMST starts it by itself then wait till it stops with all the information gathering stuff.
  4. Then regardless of what the program says of you having an update or not, DON'T START THAT UPDATE!
  5. Click on alt on the keyboard and the from the menus at the top select Customer and then emergency(the last option).
  6. Type in the phones IMEI (located at the box of the phone or on a sticker under the battery) without dashes, just numbers.
  7. Finally click on Check and follow the instructions on the screen.
  8. You should be ready as new after 10-15 minutes with the standard V10B firmware and you should not even lose data.

Tell me if that helped so if it didn't we can still fix it I'm sure

Note: I'm aware that 3.3.0 is the latest USB driver that it ships with the phone but for some reason I had only success to flash the phone using the older 3.2.1
I'm afraid that didn't work (I think I'm gonna cry soon)
When I go to the Customer Support option, the last option isn't called Emergency it's called "Recovery Phone" and seems to launch exactly the same thing as it does if I click the big "Start Updating" button. There is no option named Emergency at all. Does that mean my phone isn't/wont/can't boot into Emergency mode?

I don't even hold down the power button for my phone to switch on, the second I insert the battery it boots into Clockwork Recovery. If I power off the phone and connect the USB, I don't get the battery charging animation or anything, the screen just remains completely blank. Then if I press the power button (alone or with anything else) it just boots to Clockwork recovery.

The LG Mobile Support Tool seems to detect the phone in this state, but as I said, when it tries to do the download, I just get an error saying "Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update". The version of the Mobile Support Tool that it's installing is 1.5.1.8 after downloading from your provided link, just incase you need to know that. It seems the tool automatically updates itself on every launch.

Someone also seems to have posted the actual ROM in this thread, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1155874 would installing this perhaps assist? Is it even possible to install this when my phone wont boot up past the recovery manager? If it is possible can someone perhaps advise me how?

P_U_A_John
Old
(Last edited by P_U_A_John; 27th July 2011 at 10:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 65