Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,781 Members 47,998 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Paired But Not Connected?

Tip us?

frh1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Paired But Not Connected?

Even with "speach to text," my phone's 4" screen was too small to safely do much when mounted on the dash of my truck. My iPad's 10" screen was too big to mount on the dashboard. A 7" screen works. Plus, I can carry it on my belt.

My first Samsung Galaxy Tab was so useful that I locked it up twice in the first 4 days with Google Navigate, speach to text with my bluetooth headset to enter web addresses, answer emails, etc. My second one crashed apps like the browser when I overloaded it by multi-tasking.

With Mobile Hotspot enabled on my (EVO 4g) phone, Navigation on the HTC Flyer could be guide me to an address, then the phone would ring, and I'd be driving around in circles. So I took the Flyer back to Best Buy and got an HTC EVO View from Sprint. (I suppose I could have got a MiFi device, but the monthly charge would be higher.)

I used the Rocketfish case I bought for the Flye and, my old Droid X's dash mount (with the help of a hacksaw and some JB Weld) to mount the EVO View just above the radio on my dashboard. I discovered the cab is too noisy for the EVO View's built in microphones at dashboard distance. (And I am kind of kicking myself in the behind for not figuring that out before I took the Flyer back.)

The next step was to sideload the Vlingo app to get around Google Voice Search's lack of Bluetooth support. I paired five different bluetooth headsets to The HTC EVO View. Two of them connected to Media Audio, but none would connect the to the bluetooth headset microphone.

Sprint's Technical Support tried to be helpful. But all they could do was suggest taking it back to the Sprint store. The guy at HTC's Technical Support was able to round-up an EVO View, a HTC Flyer, and several bluetooth headsets. He called me back to tell me he got the same results I got.

So I went to the Sprint store. We paired all of my headsets to the Evo View on display and none connected beyond Media Audio. I pointed out that Sprint's website lists several bluetooth headsets for use with the EVO View. So they paired a couple of the listed headsets and none would connect with anything but Media Audio. (But all of the bluetooth headsets we tried easily paired for microphone input on the keyboard of the Samsung Galaxy Tab.)

Sprint's Customer Retention Department agreed to recommend a disclaimer on their website if my accusation that they are misleading Sprint customers about Bluetooth on the HTC EVO View turns out to be true.

The guy at HTC's Technical Service told me their internal documents indicate the device has A2DP Support (Media Audio), but he found nothing indicating HFP Support (Hands Free Profile). By providing pairing instructions without a disclaimer about the tablet's lack of HFP Support, I believe HTC is misleading customers. Anyway, he promised to get back to me on Thursday with HTC's "response" to this.

So I have two questions: Is anyone else bothered by this?

And for anyone qualified to answer: Is it possible to get Bluetooth HFP (voice) Support on the HTC EVO View / Flyer with an app or a hack?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frh1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frh1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
The Tech guy from HTC called me back yesterday to say they left out HFP (Hands Free Profile) on the American versions of the HTC Flyer and the HTC EVO View 4g. (I'm not sure if the European version of the Flyer is also missing the HFP Profile.)

Nobody replied to this thread, so I assume not that many people care. But it just irritates the heck out of me that neither HTC or Sprint disclosed this anywhere on their websites or in the either of the device's User Manuals.

I do not have enough posts yet to put this request in the proper forum.

Is there any way to get the bluetooth HFP Profile into the device?

StormMcCloud
Old
Thanks Meter 930
I was actually wondering this myself. I tried to hook up my bluetooth to use it with Tango, now I know why it didnt work. Hopefully they pit out an update that fixes this.

Sent from my HTC EVO View. 7" of 4g fury!

clubtech
Old
Thanks Meter 297
I have the UK 3g version and it also lacks the HFP profile.
I rooted the flyer and tried to dig into the system files to see if there is a way to enable this. nothing to date worked (maybe because we don't have perm root with nonad unlock so my hacks didnt actually work).

It is indeed annoying they chose to leave this profile out. many VOIP apps can use this BT profile to make *proper* voip calls using the mic on the headset.

There is a "phone" ROM floating around this forum for S-off devices that enables this BT profile. I am hoping that once we get S-off somehow we would be able to port that profile in.
HARDWARE: AT&T 8285 > iPhone 3G > Toshiba TG01 > iPhone 3GS > HD2 > AT&T N1 > EVO 4G > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy Tab > Samsung Nexus S > Atrix 4G > Motorola Xoom > Thunderbolt > Galaxy S II > Galaxy Tab 10.1 > HTC Flyer > E4GT > Galaxy Note > Galaxy S 3 > Galaxy Note II > HTC One > Galaxy Note 8 > Galaxy S 4

frh1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for the replies.

As I mentioned, the Technical Support guy I talked to at HTC took a couple of days to get back to me because he wanted to find out HTC's position on the HFP profile on their tablets. I got the strong impressiom they are not against supporting HFP, they just did not think it was necessary.

He stressed to me that even though HTC will not respond to posts in their own support forum, or even manage the forum by moving posts to where they should be (which I think is incredibly stupid), their technical support people (including the people who make decisions about stuff like this) watch the forum closely. As naieve as it sounds, he told me the best way to get the HFP bluetooth profile included in an update is to post about the problem in their forum. He said if enough people respond, it will get their attention.

As open and helpful as both of the HTC Technical Support people I talked to were, I still believe both HTC and Sprint are both guilty of false advertising and misleading customers by by not disclosing that bluetooth only works with media audio on these devices. I still intend to look into filing a complaint with the FCC, and my State's Attorney General. My hope is it will be easier for them to activate this profile on these devices than defend the complaints and potentially revise their websites and User Manuals, etc.

And, as I said before, I sure hope someone here can figure out how to make the HFP bluetooth profile work before I have to make a decision to spend a lot of money on a wired (noise cancelling) car kit or replace the EVO View with a (in my opinion) very inferior Samsung Galaxy tab.

diamant-x
Old
Thanks Meter 6
But this is not new. HTC Flyer, all versions worldwide lack of Phone capabilities, and that include sall related items and specs such as the Bluetooth protocol for handsfree talk.
We still don't know why they took this decission, i don't think it was that expensive to include those items...

Any one knows if Honeycomb is able to handle phone calls?
Diamant-x
Phone: HTC Magic 32b (aka Saphire). Rooted and flashing nice ROMs. ^^
Phone: HTC One X (International Edition), always up to date with official ROM.

My blog, http://endlessmode.wordpress.com

clubtech
Old
Thanks Meter 297
This has now been resolved. I was able to enable Headset / handsfree profile once i got S-Off.

Please see my post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1185688

Thanks.
HARDWARE: AT&T 8285 > iPhone 3G > Toshiba TG01 > iPhone 3GS > HD2 > AT&T N1 > EVO 4G > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy Tab > Samsung Nexus S > Atrix 4G > Motorola Xoom > Thunderbolt > Galaxy S II > Galaxy Tab 10.1 > HTC Flyer > E4GT > Galaxy Note > Galaxy S 3 > Galaxy Note II > HTC One > Galaxy Note 8 > Galaxy S 4

PICO11041968
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default HTC flyer

hi,

i have one htc flyer from europe and i install the revolucionary software and crack
the thing now i can make phone calls the only problem is that the last upgrade from htc don't work, the flyer simple broke and apear an danger signal with an blue android , can anyone help?

best