[Recovery] ClockworkMod Recovery flashable from bootloader

Search This thread

mynameisfyl

Aug 8, 2010
Spokane, WA
Since I updated to 5.0.0.8 and even 5.0.1.0 I have been unable to create/restore backups. I've updated through the market, I flashed the .apk that was on here, but neither one works for me.

Is this an isolated incident or is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Absolute_Zero

Aug 28, 2010
DC
Since I updated to 5.0.0.8 and even 5.0.1.0 I have been unable to create/restore backups. I've updated through the market, I flashed the .apk that was on here, but neither one works for me.

Is this an isolated incident or is anyone else experiencing similar issues?
Okay, so I guess I'm just going to have to stick with 4.0.1.5 because it's been working for me no problems. Unless anyone has different suggestions to make these work for me?
Not sure what I did but now I am able to make backups perfectly using 5.0.1.0.
...this technology stuff confuses me sometimes.
If you update CWR and then try to create a backup/restore from RomManager it will fail sometimes (as should be apparent from the last few versions). In case people didn't realize it, RomManager is a nice/friendly user interface that is able to reboot to CWR and tell it what to do. Newer versions of CWR are expecting different arguments than the old version of RomManager are giving. You will need to manually check Market for an update to RomManager (Market has been having a problem indicating updates for some apps recently hence the "manually"). After updating RomManager to the newest version and verifying that it realizes you have the newest CWR installed, then you will be able to backup/restore from RM.

Of course, you would have been able to manually backup/restore from CWR without it ever failing to begin with. But, at least now you know and hopefully others will now as well.

Make sure both are always updated.

Last edited:
Reactions: mynameisfyl

Makaveli1490

May 4, 2011
I'm having the same problem as well

I have to pull the battery cause it pauses at the splash screen. Its having a problem coming back on after restoring and backing up

This a problem

banderberg

Jun 6, 2010
followed the directions putting the PG05IMG.zip file on my sdcard root and loading hboot and it does not recognize the zip at all, just goes to the hboot menu.

The latest CWR SUCKS!!! Sorry but it's driving me insane. I want to go back to 4.0 badly.

Absolute_Zero

Aug 28, 2010
DC
I've created backups with 5.0.1.0 and restored them.
I've restored several backups from over a month ago with both RomManager and manually from CWR.

I cannot produce problems with 5.0.1.0. I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist, I just haven't been able to reproduce it.

If you're getting errors in recovery, pastebin /sdcard/clockworkmod/report.log

Last edited:

Grnlantern79

Aug 2, 2011
Arizona
Same issue my restore freeze and HTC screen, did not rename file, and i know what to do it just hangs forever only way I can regain control is full data wipe and clear and use recovery to flash a fresh Rom. And i was only restoring cause I didnt like a theme my phone was in no trouble before the restore.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
i appreciate the info on the new clockwork issues. i use twrp,so i havent experienced them ;)

just wanted to point out that feedback for other users is cool,but keep in mind zero is not the creator of clockwork,all hes done is make the downloads available,dont hold him accountable or expect him to fix it- these are at your own risk.

thanks zero again for making these avaialble to us :cool:

philhyde

Jun 20, 2010
Pearland, TX
From reading the few last posts, it sounds like people are having issues restoring old 4.x backups from 5.x, correct?

A buddy of mine saw this last night. Just now I was going to do some testing and a simple 'reboot into recover' from CWM is hanging at the HTC screen.

Update: I was able to restore a 4.x backup that I made on 8/28, before I upgraded CWM to 5.x.

Last edited:

dcmot

Sep 7, 2010
The same thing has happened to me, got stuck at white htc screen. With the newest cwm I was not able to restore back ups made from older versions or the new cwm version. I tried to restore from updated rom manager and cwm. Once I downgraded to cwm 4... everything worked great. Not complaining just trying to help. Cwm has saved my a plenty of times. Love it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Someone asked if it was possible to flash ClockworkMod Recovery through hboot instead of using RomManager. The answer...yes.

Primary reason something of this nature may be useful, as I see it, is if your recovery is damaged, your ROM is bootlooping, and you don't want to use or have access to ADB.
    In that case you would:
    1. remove your sdcard from your phone
    2. place the zip on the root of the sdcard (using an adapter or another phone) and make sure it is named the appropriate "PG05IMG.zip"
    3. place the sdcard back in your phone
    4. boot to bootloader as if you're installing a radio (power+VolDown from powerOff). It will then find the zip, recognize it as recovery and ask if you want to install (if it does not prompt then select "Bootloader" from hboot).
    5. Follow the instructions and after it finishes flashing pull your battery to power off (since the ROM will be bootlooping and hboot will constantly find the zip)
    6. Now remove the sdcard and delete the zip (via adapter or other phone) like you did to put it on the sdcard, then place the card back in the phone.
    7. Boot back to bootloader (Pwr+VolDwn)
    8. Select "Recovery" and use CWR to wipe data/cache, flash a new rom, restore, or whatever you wish.

Obviously not the only reason since some people prefer this method over RM but clearly in that case the whole sdcard switching mess is unnecessary. Just do steps 2 and 4 and reboot when prompted like you do with radios.
    Remember to remove any PGO5IMG.zip from your sdcard when done.

If this isn't useful to you, so be it. I just figured I'd throw this out there. Maybe it will help someone.

I will keep this updated as new versions come out for those few that find it useful.

**Credit to Koush and jcase**
    All I did was decide to throw them in a zip that was useful in some situations for panicking users.

Updates
    8/9/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (4.0.1.5) released 8/8/2011.
    8/30/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.0.1) released less than an hour ago. Added mirror.
    8/31/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.0.8)
    9/1/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.1.0)
    9/5/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.2.1)
    2/1/2012: Added touch based CWR released this morning (5.8.0.2) *NOTE: Have not personally tested.

If any of these cause problems please let me know immediately.

Latest Official=5.0.2.1
    jcase modded=4.0.0.5

Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?9zt68cegl6qa3

MD5:
    66750618ecfba292c0b0e42c50c2c3ee - (CWR3.1.0.2)PG05IMG.zip
    1f390edad7e87310fe80b3264a57b14b - (CWR4.0.0.5)PG05IMG.zip
    6aac529cedcd2b22afac7391a4cb7efb - (CWR4.0.1.5)PG05IMG.zip
    bf25b2601441b9fffb7d68954c4ff3b5 - (CWR5.0.0.1)PG05IMG.zip
    dfe1ddf0c574977ee2c1828735ef2dc0 - (CWR5.0.0.8)PG05IMG.zip
    8474c8d607177b0144eec624dea687b7 - (CWR5.0.1.0)PG05IMG.zip
    c4c1d9c5e553fd7b151352551b931369 - (CWR5.0.2.1)PG05IMG.zip
    58557e1e355c795d748c2e6c66251f0a - (CWR5.8.0.2)PG05IMG.zip
    I added the new Touch-based version of ClockworkMod Recovery (5.8.0.2) that Koush released this morning to the OP. I threw it together so I have not tested it at all. Hopefully it works fine.
    Post a link to it and I'll make one when I get home. That way I can test again. Hopefully the modded one you speak of is fully stable and functional.

Here is your package with the 4.0.0.5 Modded Recovery ready to flash in HBOOT.

JCASE created the Recovery, so him the love for it. I all I have done is use it. LOL It gives you the option under "advanced" to "reboot bootloader". So you can install the ROM, then simply boot into boot loader to flash the radio.

View attachment (CWR4.0.0.5)PG05IMG.zip
    Here is your package with the 4.0.0.5 Modded Recovery ready to flash in HBOOT.

JCASE created the Recovery, so him the love for it. I all I have done is use it. LOL It gives you the option under "advanced" to "reboot bootloader". So you can install the ROM, then simply boot into boot loader to flash the radio.

View attachment 661641
    In your case it would probably be easier to just use flash_image from terminal on the phone (i.e. flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img) assuming your current rom has it (if not just search and download it) or you have RM installed. The main case I saw this being useful was if you didn't have or want to use ADB and your ROM was unusable (e.g. bootlooping). I may add Jcase's modded recovery to the OP as well since it seems useful/wanted by some.
    There's a modded 4.0.0.5 CWM Recovery out there?? Where can I find the post for this ?
    Post a link to it and I'll make one when I get home. That way I can test again. Hopefully the modded one you speak of is fully stable and functional.