[Kernel][GPL][XXKG5] NEW SOURCES Ninphetamine-2.1.3 - Now with 100% less Samsungyness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Hacre

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 29, 2010
Northwich
HALLO THAR me again. Ninphetamine 1.0 didn't go so well did it? I thought I'd lost my mojo. Some even had me wondering if my prior good works had been the freaky sort of flukes that would have been better spent on guessing lottery numbers than giving you lot new toys. I was down. Broken. Beaten. So much so even my sarcasm had left me, opting to close the thread after the billionth stupid question rather than scythe down the scum that floats atop our gene pool with my usual aplomb.

Down but not out the Ninphetamine team went back to basics and discovered this mysterious random reboot was still present. Many WTFs were uttered. So we seriously downgraded our building tools. Still random reboots. Many WTFs were screamed from the rooftops. Then someone "helpfully" mentioned that older Samsung ROMs were also plagued with a random reboot issue that disappeared some time a few ROM releases later. The same person "helpfully" mentioned that the Samsung kernel source was released around those early releases. I say "helpfully" instead of helpfully because it would have been HELPFUL if it'd been mentioned before hours had been spent reversing patches and performing voodoo ritual chants to try and get to the bottom of the problem. I looked back on Samsung's source website and discovered a recent KERNEL UPDATE and patched it into my source. BOOM, random reboots gone.

WELL THANKS A ****ING BUNCH SAMSUNG. I am so pleased it didn't occur to you to update your available sources after you'd discovered it was a kernel problem causing the reboots. Full marks for it completely slipping your collective mind that, while being fully aware people would be producing their own works for this phone (I know you're aware because of how you didn't lock the bootloader), it wouldn't be a GOOD ****ING IDEA to perhaps at least release a patch for the problem if not the updated source. MONTHS it's taken you, literally MONTHS.

I hate you. However, I also love you. At least you -did- release an update (albeit being later than the pope to a contraception conference) and your cockup only served to reignite the fire that is my rage.

So, Ninphetamine 2.0. It's true that war drives innovation and the war on the random reboot certainly had us trying many different things and making various discoveries. Many of those have been applied to the now working base so everything I promised for Ninphetamine 1.0 is there and then some.

EVEN FASTAR!!!11. Yep. Get a good tail wind at your back, throw a dice on a double six three times in a row and you can even break 4000 on Quadrant at stock speeds WITHOUT ANY CHEATING. I know Quadrant is largely a meaningless test, results rendered utterly useless by all the retards that mount everything to a ramdisk before running so they can masturbate furiously at HIGHER NUMBERS firmly and unironically of the belief that it increases their self worth and reputation. Performance is smoother however and responsiveness improved as well over Ninphetamine 1.0. Remember if you're the sort that does care about Quadrant scores, given that Android has the attention span of an eight year old child after consuming enough sugar to kill a diabetic in seconds, Quadrant needs 2-3 runs before the OS realises it might be a good idea to make sure the app has the CPU and memory resources it actually wants. Or you can flip the governor to the Performance.

RscjD.jpg
qVBgQ.jpg
gNgSL.jpg

FASTURER THAN EVAN FASTAR!!!!!111oneeleven. Speaking of people that like to furiously masturbate over high yet meaningless numbers, the overclocking feature is back with a few bug fixes for good measure. As before it's capped at 1600MHz. We haven't added the GPU clocking yet as it's important to ensure that the current feature set is stable before adding even more. The voltage control interface is also included. Remember, if you're the type of idiot that understands nothing of overclocking or undervolting or how CPUs work in general, don't come crying to me when you try and run 1.6GHz at 800mV and find you have problems. The issue isn't mine, it's yours. Take it up with your parents who are also your aunt and uncle, remember if you can to thank them for providing further evidence that inbreeding is bad and produces morons that aren't capable of functioning in society. Thanks.

Base still at 2.6.35.11. After patching in Samsung's fixes to their own incompetence I'm pleased to note that we're able to stay at least at 2.6.35.11 base, thus keeping many important fixes, improvements and performance boosts from the main kernel team headed up by God himself Mr Linus Torvalds. You thought I was God? While flattered no, I am merely a disciple ready and willing to deputise for when he's too busy.

So download it, run it, break it. Remember, asking me things covered in my initial posts will anger the Android Gods and at best will result in your public ridicule at worst will result in a few plagues upon your dark dingy basement where you no doubt reside.

If you're going to report problems I want more than "HLAP MAI PHONE BROKED". Try and recreate the issue while running logging (instructions on how will follow in a FAQ post). If you're overclocking/undervolting or any combination of the two, stop it and see if your problem persists.

Don't report every single issue you have to me either. It's possibly a kernel issue if overall stability is affected, if you get a full reboot from the boot logo (NOT the boot animation, dropping to boot animation means Android crashed, not the kernel) or if you get a full lockup. If you find that in life in general people tend to stop talking when you're around, or they don't quite seem sincere when laughing at your jokes, it's probably you, not me, that's at fault because you're a bit of an idiot.

Now, there's been a couple of testers that have suffered a rare random reboot. I have a theory on this but to prove it, I need a wider audience. There will be a downloadable kernel that is SOLELY for anyone that suffers a random reboot under NORMAL (normal clock, normal voltage, no tegrak, using OnDemand governor) circumstances.

Download links will be in the download post. If you ask where download links are, I'll give you a very custom one of your own and who KNOWS what that kernel might do. You've been warned.

TO REITERATE - READ THIS

All new downloads should download the release version. Only people who get an unexplainable reboot while running under stock 1.2GHz (or less) conditions at normal voltage with no OC software installed should download and install the workaround version.

Thanks
Unlimited thanks to my wife for her boundless patience with my Android obsessions.
Many thanks to my genius partner netarchy.
Many thanks to my harem of testers, pulser, designgears, Ante0, mattgirv, Obihoernchen, Kullt, Veyka, Lenny, yoda and Rawat.

Last edited:

Hacre

May 29, 2010
Northwich
Download Links

Ninphetamine version 2.1.3 Release Edition
TAR file for Odin/Heimdall/CWM app.
ZIP file for flashing via Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Ninphetamine version 2.1.2 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.1.1 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.1.0 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.5 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.4 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.2 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.2 Workaround Edition
As stated earlier, only download this version if you have issues with the release version.

Ninphetamine version 2.0.1 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.1 Workaround Edition
As stated earlier, only download this version if you have issues with the release version.

Ninphetamine version 2.0.0 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.0 Workaround Edition

Last edited:

Hacre

May 29, 2010
Northwich
Changelog

2.1.3 Release Edition
  • Re-enabled kallsyms (thanks supercurio for the heads up).
  • Fixed initramfs to provide support to custom ROMs that use startup scripts in /system/etc/init.d (thanks designgears).

2.1.2 Release Edition
  • Added a workaround for some ROMs bootlooping after a wipe of /data due to incorrect permissions on the new subdirectories created. Appears to be a ROM bug, perhaps KH3 related, would be handy if ROM developers could look for a fix.

2.1.1 Release Edition
  • Added FUSE and CUSE support.

2.1.0 Release Edition
  • Update to Samsung XXKG5 source (Update2)
  • Added GPU clock control interface (currently has no GUI)
  • Minimum CPU voltage now properly clamped at 800mV
  • Misc tweaks and fixes, see github commit log to cfs-exp for full details

2.0.5 Release Edition
  • Improvements to BLN battery usage.
  • Changes made to touchpanel sensitivity when the phone is charging to resolve issues for people using certain screen protectors that stop registering user input when on charge.

2.0.4 Release Edition
  • BLN support added.
  • RAM console (/proc/last_kmsg) added.
  • Workaround edition deprecated.

2.0.2 Release/Workaround Edition
  • More VPN features added.
  • JHash updated to version 3.

2.0.1 Release/Workaround Edition
  • CIFS support added.

2.0.0 Release Edition
  • Samsung's latest source update applied to base.
  • Kernel base updated to 2.6.35.11.
  • Overclock up to 1.6GHz.
  • Voltage control via SetCPU or Voltage Control from 800mV up to 1500mV.
  • BFQv2-r1 IO scheduler added and set as default.
  • Optimised EXT4 mount options.
  • Various other performance related tweaks.

2.0.0 Workaround Edition
As above, but with some patches applied to workaround errata inherent to some Cortex A8/A9 processors.

Last edited:

Hacre

May 29, 2010
Northwich
FAQ

• How do I change my GPU clock speed?
Either wait for GUI support to appear in the form of an addition to SetCPU or a standalone GUI, or if you're confident with a terminal:
Code:
adb shell
cat /sys/devices/virtual/misc/gpu_clock_control/gpu_control # To view current settings
echo 267 300 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/gpu_clock_control/gpu_control # Sets GPU clock from 160/267 to 267/300
We currently have a 450MHz maximum clock and 10MHz minimum clock. The presence of these values does not necessarily mean your GPU can run at these speeds, like all overclocking your results can and most likely will vary. Do not come crying in this thread because you broke your phone or set fire to your desk or gave yourself third degree burns. Actually, do, I enjoy a good laugh.
  • Hey any update on you guys getting FEATURE done or CHANGE I'd like?
Given that I'm away on honeymoon in two weeks and we're expecting Samsung to release sources actually used with 2.3.4 Any Day Now (tm) any new features are unlikely to appear until September, unless you're part of my IRC Testing Crew and we start testing new features ready for the release of the next major version. So stop asking.
  • Uncle Hacre, I had a nasty crash and my phone rebooted, I want to help you debug this, what can I do?
Code:
adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg > lastkmsg.log
Then zip up the lastkmsg.log file and attach it to your post informing me of the issue.
  • I simply must have every possible second of battery life available, other kernel devs are disabling adb and logcat to make this happen can you do this please battery life is very important to me as I often spend days in Outer Mongolia with no access to power and that extra thirty minutes of battery life could be the difference between me tweeting I've lost my toes to frostbite or not!
Debugging features in the kernel are already disabled. Have I disabled adb/logcat? No. Will I? No. I'm at 50 hours uptime on my phone with just under 40% battery remaining. I see no battery issue. Whether the life can be slightly improved or not, removing a key debugging function from the land of custom ROMs is an incredibly stupid idea. What if you flash a custom ROM and there's an issue and the ROM developer needs debugging information to fix it? What if you install an app that has a problem and you cannot give any feedback to the app developer? Are you prepared to flash a kernel that has adb enabled any time you have an issue? For the minor gains in battery life it isn't worth it.
  • There's a ClockworkMod Recovery with a higher version number than the one you're providing surely bigger numbers means better why aren't you providing it?!?!
I'll update CWM Recovery as and when a version appears that provides a feature or fixes a bug that we're afflicted with.
  • WAAAAHHHHHHH QQ I have to wait ONE ENTIRE SECOND for my phone to wake up from standby!!!111oneeleven. This is totally unacceptable and it is ruining my life!!!
Of course it takes a second to wake up from deep sleep. Everything has been shut off, the CPU placed in low power mode and the entire OS placed into suspend. I don't know about you but it takes me far longer than one second to be fully coherent and responsive when I wake up in the morning and I've only got one brain to worry about, the SGS2 has two of them! Shut the whining up about this complete and utter non issue.
  • What ROMs will this work with?
The kernel has been tested with VillainROM 2.0 and 2.1. It should in theory work with any ROM based on a stock SGS2 ROM. However if your ROM developer requires a custom initramfs for features you may encounter problems.
  • How do I overclock my CPU?
Use SetCPU or Voltage Control, ensure you have the latest version.
  • How do I change the voltage of my CPU?
  • I cannot use adb install anymore.
We're aware of this and are working on a solution for the next release. In the meantime adb push the apk to the phone and install using a file browser.
  • My phone was running fine for hours but I just now had a random reboot. What should I do?
Learn to read. Download and install the Workaround Edition.
  • I have Tegrak installed while using your kernel, does that make me an idiot?
Yes.

Last edited:

Hacre

May 29, 2010
Northwich
Super Happy Fun Time

Should you arrive in this thread bereft of the basic intelligence required to remember to breathe in and out as needed and you ask questions/make posts that clearly demonstrate this fact, I'll be sure to give you the attention you deserve in this very post.

I don't see bfq scheduler in set cpu, is it normal?

Yes it's normal. Your IQ isn't. What on Earth possesses you to even open SetCPU if you're looking for schedulers in there? Do you also complain to car manufacturers when you can't find your spare tyre in the engine bay or you find that a motorbike has no ashtray?

Hi,

do i have to set setcpu in some way or is the kernel all doing by itself?

Cheers.

If only I had taken the time to write a FAQ post, on the first page of this thread that would answer this question...

wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing....

I'd really like it if people with a shoe size rivalling IQ would refrain from giving advice to users of our kernel. Advising to wipe cache/dalvik before changing kernel is akin to advising checking tyre pressures because the gearbox just fell out.

Is this kernel compatible with cm7?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Or in other words: "Hi, I'm too lazy to read threads or use the search function." This has been addressed in several posts in this very thread.

So what does this version do VS the 2.0.0?

Wow, I really wish I'd taken the time to put a changelog on the first page after the download links. If I had, then surely no one would need to ask me what's changed in new releases. Thank you so much for highlighting my failing!

Is anyone else running 200Mhz at 475mv? Works fine on my phone, passes stability test 2.11 as well. Or maybe there's a softcap for the minimum value?

It would seem I live in a parallel universe, one where I'm sure I write things down yet they do not appear. This can be the only explanation for you not seeing "Voltage control via SetCPU from 800mV up to 1500mV" in the THIRD POST ON THE FIRST PAGE. Well there's that explanation, or there's you being a moron. Hmmm...

Dear all,

How to install Ninphetamine version 2.0.1 Release Edition using ODIN? I have downloaded it "TAR file for ODIN" here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179814
, n extract it and found this zImage. Please tell me how to use this zImage?
My kernel version at the moment : I9100XXKG1 but my PDA/PHONE/CSC = KG2.
Thanks n sorry if this question has been replied before but i couldn't find it anywhere.

But i found it's not a .tar file, it's zImage. Is this the same? sorry for nob question..

Thanks mate! Just realized it's a .tar or .zip in notification, but when i open it in windows, it shows only ninphetamine-2.0.1-release.

So, another Question. Is it possible to flash back my last Kernel version if i flash ninphetamine (just in case, something wrong with it)? How to do that?

thanks mate! Usefull information indeed!

EDIT :
How to take out the zImage and where to find it from the last ROM which i've just flashed before i flash ninphetamine?

I have I9100XXKG1.
Okay, thanks again. I thought i should move the zImage from my sdCard and then place on my PC and then i can flash it to a new Kernel.
So blessed today, found these people who help me :)

hahaha.. be my guest. I am just trying to be a good user for my phone:)

Which i have already made, but i am not sure for the kernel version, as i always get the new version from my ROM Developer :) it's included, n shouldn't flash it seperately

AND THE CURRENT THREAD RESIDENT INEPT BUNGLING RETARD AWARD GOES TO:...you. How the hell did you even manage to find this thread? In fact how did you even manage to survive long enough to use a computer? Or am I looking at this from the wrong perspective, should I be thrilled that a Chimpanzee has managed to procure a PC and an SGS2 and already managed to flash a custom ROM to it? You sir are the reason new scissors are labelled with "Warning: contains sharp objects". Answers to all of the questions you've asked are freely available throughout the SGS2 forum and in the form of guides all over the internet. So not only are you bereft of the basic intelligence required to figure out which way is up, you're also lacking the kind of effort that's required to carry out the most simple tasks like "find a useful collection of words" and "read a useful collection of words". Shame on you.

Have a question about this kerel, I got 1 % drop per hour in standby ( sleeping 8 hour and wake from 100% go down to 93%). Is it normal?

No it's not normal. This is outrageous. Thank you for submitting this bug report so that myself and netarchy can get to work right away on the part of the kernel that is supposed to suspend the space-time continuum when your phone goes into standby so that it uses no power whatsoever. You see we weren't sure whether to suspend time or have it invent hydrogen fuel cells and circumvent the battery during Deep Sleep so we opted for the far easier suspension of space and time. I'm awfully sorry that our experiment failed and we'll now look into kernel code that can combine matter and anti-matter for a low power sustainable reaction so that you lose no precious battery life at all while the phone is in standby. Or you could do us all a favour, including yourself and turn your phone off and never ever touch it again. That way the number of people you communicate with will be curtailed, your phone will never lose power and you'll never need to sully one of my threads again. You have all the intellectual creativity of a box of hair, a command of language worse than that of a deaf mute and an ineptitude so offensive it cannot be summed up in a single word, so I'll try three: You're a moron.

Can't seem to get 1.6ghz stable at all, even at 1.5mV. Running lightening 4.1 and this kernel. any tips?

Yes. Kill yourself. Asking such a question means you're clearly beyond help, have no clue about overclocking and don't deserve such a nice phone. Free up some oxygen and resources for the rest of us please, thanks.

This might sound dumb, I'm using Litening rom 4.1 with Ninphetamine 2.0.2
What app should i use to underclock my voltage? i tried Voltage Control and after i've got my settings done, i try to check the current battery voltage it's still at 4004mV? Does that mean the application is not working?

Might sound dumb? No no, it IS dumb. 4004mV is how much voltage is remaining in the battery you twatneck. Why are you asking what app you should be using when it is clearly stated ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THE THREAD?. How has it escaped your grasp when editing voltages that are all ~1000mV that over FOUR THOUSAND millivolts might just be something else?? In fact how did the words BATTERY VOLTAGE not clue you in after changing CPU VOLTAGE? You're a (unfortunately) breathing example of never underestimating the lowest level of stupidity. If brains were chocolate bars yours would be labelled "Fun Size".

And do you think that #twiter word in my signature, is a fail? Maybe you don't understand why I put things like this :)

SARCASTIC MODE ON
I put twiter in a text, but in the hyperlink I'm seeing twitter, oh **** i'm clever!

my twitter was deleted months ago, man.

Since Feb, 2011, and Google knows

And you are a moderator?
Maybe you have to understand it first, because I don't think that people in usa are much clever.

This guy calls himself a developer. Yes your "#twiter" link is a fail because a: it isn't spelled properly and b: it 404s. Why keep it there if it's a dead link? Because you didn't know until it was pointed out to you, that's why. As for "I don't think that people in usa are much clever"....oh the irony. If your kernels run as well as you post I'm sure scattered around the XDA userbase is a smattering of dead or unresponsive SGS2s. Which wouldn't surprise me. Taking a look at your kernel thread it's clear that you've as much clue as a lobotomised Orang-Utan. More steps on your CPU frequencies than there are on the stairway to heaven, you think somehow that 500MHz uses less power than 200MHz, governors included that anyone doing five minutes of research would know they're unstable, you advertise standard kernel features as unique features in your kernel (CFQ, CFS, boy those sure are new features!) and to top it all off you've got the cheek to take code from Ninphetamine and then come here and ****post. I've more chance of developing film in direct sunlight than you have of developing anything close to competent and the fact that you have the audacity to consume bandwidth on the internet offends me. If braincells were matchsticks you couldn't light a candle, so kindly return to your thread full of fail and leave us big boys and those of us with IQs higher than room temperature to get on with grown up things, mkay?

I have been living in Chester this spring/summer some months, and maybe I'll go in september, so I hope we could meet, because maybe my braincells can't light a candle, but I know that my fists yes. Coincidences of life...mate

Holy **** an actual threat of violence from the internet. Hahahahahaha. At least I think that's what it is. You "know that your fists yes"....I can only assume this is a threat...unless you're chatting me up and want to fist my bottom? I'm not that way inclined mate, sorry.

Try running 1.6ghz under a different rom, I have no problem running 1.6ghz with Cognition S2 using set cpu

I'm revoking the other guy's retard award because you've single handedly come into the post and shown us in fewer than 20 words just what being a hap-hazardous retard with an IQ smaller than a bullant's testicle and the sharpness of a dull stick of butter what being a retard is all about.

No no, please, pray tell, how running a different ROM will magically make a CPU run at 1.6GHz when it wouldn't before? This, you cretinous simpleton, is akin to giving a steam roller a paint job and expecting it to pull an extra 100mph as a result. Please promise me that's the last time you ever post on the internet, because if you keep this up you'll dilute the global IQ so much we'll all start eating our shoes.

I realy appreciate your work but arent you going a little too far with your language and comments? you mentioned your wife at some part of the long story at the first post (who can actually read all this? are you an author as well?). are you also talking to her like this when she doesnt understand somthing? your kids? im definitely not jealous in her ;)

Now come down a little bit with your language and dont help us if you cant do that as a fully grown man (are you a grown man?)

This is the common nature of people, asking dumb questions somethims but on the other hand, do you realy expect them to know as much as you do on changing kernels and messing with them? the fact that you might have no life does not mean you should take it out on others isnt it?

Now come on, tell me what you think about my post, dont spare any word of it!

Oh yippee the language police arrived. I'm so pleased you found the opportunity to take time away from your perfect life your perfect wife your perfect children and your perfect job situated high within that glorious and shining ivory tower of yours to descend upon us normal folk to educate us about our terrible language and vulgar manner of insulting those whom we only see as morose shambling idiots who cannot even manage to search a thread, whereas you see them as gleaming examples of humanity, bereft of love, attention and experience.

Well, as you're now down here on planet Earth, you globulating and sickeningly sweet preacher of goodwill, may I first introduce you to the word hypocrisy. Often rife among your dogooding kind, it means that you sit on high quaffing down pints of innocence and regurgitating it upon us regular folk as some kind of moral education, while still sneering like a ****ing 1930s cartoon villain. If you could get the shine of your halo out of your eyes for a few seconds and deign to look upon the unwashed masses, you'd recognise that dishing out lessons in manners doesn't often mix well if you throw in a dash of "insult their lack of any life worth living" or "let's have a pop at his wife".

You sir, are a **** but not only that, you're the worst type of ****. I'd rather deal with 20 of EACH of every idiot that precedes you in this posted collection of horrors than one of you, you vile and pathetic excuse for a human being. How dare you feign to come into my thread and chastise my use of language when you can't even ****ing spell let alone string a sentence together. You're not only offensive to the morals you're offensive to the eyes, you write down pure eye cancer and I implore you to stop.

I have never and will never excuse anyone's lack of common sense. There's a difference between not knowing and not even having the wherewithall to help your sodding self. I berate the latter and assist the former, whereas you don't flap your ****in caviar chompers unless there's some moral crusade to embark upon. How about you be honest with yourself and realise that you only arm yourself for combat and mount upon your trusty forum steed to put right what mere mortals like me have wronged, to give yourself grace and relief from the sorry, putrid and langquidly depressing state your own life is in. How about you spend even half the effort you spent ejaculating that illiterate and berating post into my thread, on sorting your own miserable existence out and then maybe we'd both be a lot happier. Your insignificant blip of an existence wouldn't be quite so worthless to you and maybe, just maybe, you'd keep your hypocrisy laden lectures to yourself which would in turn make me very happy indeed.

Last edited:

Artius89

May 6, 2011
Padova
oh jesus i'm dying after reading the whole story in op ...rotfl

edit: just to say something useful, i'm going to try it!

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Artius89 said:
oh jesus i'm dying after reading the whole story in op ...rotfl

edit: just to say something useful, i'm going to try it!

If you die, you cannot enjoy the even better entertainment next time round... So try and survive :p

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
@ninpo, did you remind them that anyone trying to use it with Tegrak is subject to capital punishment?

AndreiLux

Jul 9, 2011
Nice work, I'm looking forward to this kernel as it evolves. Will be testing it out tomorrow.

I'm especially looking forward to GPU frequency and voltage control, as I'm running my GPU at 750mV instead of the default 1000 and the phone runs noticeably cooler when playing games, and thus logically would mean superior battery life while gaming. This would be a killer-feature in future releases, for me at least.

It would also be interesting to know if we'll eventually get "internal voltage" control some day. My deduction is that that would be the voltage for most things other than the CPU and the GPU like for example the hardware decoder/encoder as being the most significant part of the SoC, if it truly is things like the decoder, then it would boost battery life for video playback by some amount.

Hacre

May 29, 2010
Northwich
Your a funny dude you must be Scottish surely?

"British by birth, English by the grace of God".

Nice work, I'm looking forward to this kernel as it evolves. Will be testing it out tomorrow.

I'm especially looking forward to GPU frequency and voltage control, as I'm running my GPU at 750mV instead of the default 1000 and the phone runs noticeably cooler when playing games, and thus logically would mean superior battery life while gaming. This would be a killer-feature in future releases, for me at least.

It would also be interesting to know if we'll eventually get "internal voltage" control some day. My deduction is that that would be the voltage for most things other than the CPU and the GPU like for example the hardware decoder/encoder as being the most significant part of the SoC, if it truly is things like the decoder, then it would boost battery life for video playback by some amount.

The next logical step is to work on voltage/clock control for the GPU. We'll then look at the internal voltage and what it affects. Not all Samsung's code is easy to follow. ;)

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Hacre said:
Yes, read the thread, don't make me make you my first example in post #5, you know I will.

Ahhh... Wasn't there a minute ago :) Place bets on when you need an extension of post 5 due to 40k character limit? ;0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HALLO THAR me again. Ninphetamine 1.0 didn't go so well did it? I thought I'd lost my mojo. Some even had me wondering if my prior good works had been the freaky sort of flukes that would have been better spent on guessing lottery numbers than giving you lot new toys. I was down. Broken. Beaten. So much so even my sarcasm had left me, opting to close the thread after the billionth stupid question rather than scythe down the scum that floats atop our gene pool with my usual aplomb.

Down but not out the Ninphetamine team went back to basics and discovered this mysterious random reboot was still present. Many WTFs were uttered. So we seriously downgraded our building tools. Still random reboots. Many WTFs were screamed from the rooftops. Then someone "helpfully" mentioned that older Samsung ROMs were also plagued with a random reboot issue that disappeared some time a few ROM releases later. The same person "helpfully" mentioned that the Samsung kernel source was released around those early releases. I say "helpfully" instead of helpfully because it would have been HELPFUL if it'd been mentioned before hours had been spent reversing patches and performing voodoo ritual chants to try and get to the bottom of the problem. I looked back on Samsung's source website and discovered a recent KERNEL UPDATE and patched it into my source. BOOM, random reboots gone.

WELL THANKS A ****ING BUNCH SAMSUNG. I am so pleased it didn't occur to you to update your available sources after you'd discovered it was a kernel problem causing the reboots. Full marks for it completely slipping your collective mind that, while being fully aware people would be producing their own works for this phone (I know you're aware because of how you didn't lock the bootloader), it wouldn't be a GOOD ****ING IDEA to perhaps at least release a patch for the problem if not the updated source. MONTHS it's taken you, literally MONTHS.

I hate you. However, I also love you. At least you -did- release an update (albeit being later than the pope to a contraception conference) and your cockup only served to reignite the fire that is my rage.

So, Ninphetamine 2.0. It's true that war drives innovation and the war on the random reboot certainly had us trying many different things and making various discoveries. Many of those have been applied to the now working base so everything I promised for Ninphetamine 1.0 is there and then some.

EVEN FASTAR!!!11. Yep. Get a good tail wind at your back, throw a dice on a double six three times in a row and you can even break 4000 on Quadrant at stock speeds WITHOUT ANY CHEATING. I know Quadrant is largely a meaningless test, results rendered utterly useless by all the retards that mount everything to a ramdisk before running so they can masturbate furiously at HIGHER NUMBERS firmly and unironically of the belief that it increases their self worth and reputation. Performance is smoother however and responsiveness improved as well over Ninphetamine 1.0. Remember if you're the sort that does care about Quadrant scores, given that Android has the attention span of an eight year old child after consuming enough sugar to kill a diabetic in seconds, Quadrant needs 2-3 runs before the OS realises it might be a good idea to make sure the app has the CPU and memory resources it actually wants. Or you can flip the governor to the Performance.

RscjD.jpg
    qVBgQ.jpg
    gNgSL.jpg

FASTURER THAN EVAN FASTAR!!!!!111oneeleven. Speaking of people that like to furiously masturbate over high yet meaningless numbers, the overclocking feature is back with a few bug fixes for good measure. As before it's capped at 1600MHz. We haven't added the GPU clocking yet as it's important to ensure that the current feature set is stable before adding even more. The voltage control interface is also included. Remember, if you're the type of idiot that understands nothing of overclocking or undervolting or how CPUs work in general, don't come crying to me when you try and run 1.6GHz at 800mV and find you have problems. The issue isn't mine, it's yours. Take it up with your parents who are also your aunt and uncle, remember if you can to thank them for providing further evidence that inbreeding is bad and produces morons that aren't capable of functioning in society. Thanks.

Base still at 2.6.35.11. After patching in Samsung's fixes to their own incompetence I'm pleased to note that we're able to stay at least at 2.6.35.11 base, thus keeping many important fixes, improvements and performance boosts from the main kernel team headed up by God himself Mr Linus Torvalds. You thought I was God? While flattered no, I am merely a disciple ready and willing to deputise for when he's too busy.

So download it, run it, break it. Remember, asking me things covered in my initial posts will anger the Android Gods and at best will result in your public ridicule at worst will result in a few plagues upon your dark dingy basement where you no doubt reside.

If you're going to report problems I want more than "HLAP MAI PHONE BROKED". Try and recreate the issue while running logging (instructions on how will follow in a FAQ post). If you're overclocking/undervolting or any combination of the two, stop it and see if your problem persists.

Don't report every single issue you have to me either. It's possibly a kernel issue if overall stability is affected, if you get a full reboot from the boot logo (NOT the boot animation, dropping to boot animation means Android crashed, not the kernel) or if you get a full lockup. If you find that in life in general people tend to stop talking when you're around, or they don't quite seem sincere when laughing at your jokes, it's probably you, not me, that's at fault because you're a bit of an idiot.

Now, there's been a couple of testers that have suffered a rare random reboot. I have a theory on this but to prove it, I need a wider audience. There will be a downloadable kernel that is SOLELY for anyone that suffers a random reboot under NORMAL (normal clock, normal voltage, no tegrak, using OnDemand governor) circumstances.

Download links will be in the download post. If you ask where download links are, I'll give you a very custom one of your own and who KNOWS what that kernel might do. You've been warned.

TO REITERATE - READ THIS

All new downloads should download the release version. Only people who get an unexplainable reboot while running under stock 1.2GHz (or less) conditions at normal voltage with no OC software installed should download and install the workaround version.

Thanks
    Unlimited thanks to my wife for her boundless patience with my Android obsessions.
    Many thanks to my genius partner netarchy.
    Many thanks to my harem of testers, pulser, designgears, Ante0, mattgirv, Obihoernchen, Kullt, Veyka, Lenny, yoda and Rawat.
    Super Happy Fun Time

Should you arrive in this thread bereft of the basic intelligence required to remember to breathe in and out as needed and you ask questions/make posts that clearly demonstrate this fact, I'll be sure to give you the attention you deserve in this very post.

I don't see bfq scheduler in set cpu, is it normal?

Yes it's normal. Your IQ isn't. What on Earth possesses you to even open SetCPU if you're looking for schedulers in there? Do you also complain to car manufacturers when you can't find your spare tyre in the engine bay or you find that a motorbike has no ashtray?

Hi,

do i have to set setcpu in some way or is the kernel all doing by itself?

Cheers.

If only I had taken the time to write a FAQ post, on the first page of this thread that would answer this question...

wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing....

I'd really like it if people with a shoe size rivalling IQ would refrain from giving advice to users of our kernel. Advising to wipe cache/dalvik before changing kernel is akin to advising checking tyre pressures because the gearbox just fell out.

Is this kernel compatible with cm7?

Or in other words: "Hi, I'm too lazy to read threads or use the search function." This has been addressed in several posts in this very thread.

So what does this version do VS the 2.0.0?

Wow, I really wish I'd taken the time to put a changelog on the first page after the download links. If I had, then surely no one would need to ask me what's changed in new releases. Thank you so much for highlighting my failing!

Is anyone else running 200Mhz at 475mv? Works fine on my phone, passes stability test 2.11 as well. Or maybe there's a softcap for the minimum value?

It would seem I live in a parallel universe, one where I'm sure I write things down yet they do not appear. This can be the only explanation for you not seeing "Voltage control via SetCPU from 800mV up to 1500mV" in the THIRD POST ON THE FIRST PAGE. Well there's that explanation, or there's you being a moron. Hmmm...

Dear all,

How to install Ninphetamine version 2.0.1 Release Edition using ODIN? I have downloaded it "TAR file for ODIN" here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179814
    , n extract it and found this zImage. Please tell me how to use this zImage?
    My kernel version at the moment : I9100XXKG1 but my PDA/PHONE/CSC = KG2.
    Thanks n sorry if this question has been replied before but i couldn't find it anywhere.

But i found it's not a .tar file, it's zImage. Is this the same? sorry for nob question..

Thanks mate! Just realized it's a .tar or .zip in notification, but when i open it in windows, it shows only ninphetamine-2.0.1-release.

So, another Question. Is it possible to flash back my last Kernel version if i flash ninphetamine (just in case, something wrong with it)? How to do that?

thanks mate! Usefull information indeed!

EDIT :
    How to take out the zImage and where to find it from the last ROM which i've just flashed before i flash ninphetamine?

I have I9100XXKG1.
    Okay, thanks again. I thought i should move the zImage from my sdCard and then place on my PC and then i can flash it to a new Kernel.
    So blessed today, found these people who help me :)

hahaha.. be my guest. I am just trying to be a good user for my phone:)

Which i have already made, but i am not sure for the kernel version, as i always get the new version from my ROM Developer :) it's included, n shouldn't flash it seperately

AND THE CURRENT THREAD RESIDENT INEPT BUNGLING RETARD AWARD GOES TO:...you. How the hell did you even manage to find this thread? In fact how did you even manage to survive long enough to use a computer? Or am I looking at this from the wrong perspective, should I be thrilled that a Chimpanzee has managed to procure a PC and an SGS2 and already managed to flash a custom ROM to it? You sir are the reason new scissors are labelled with "Warning: contains sharp objects". Answers to all of the questions you've asked are freely available throughout the SGS2 forum and in the form of guides all over the internet. So not only are you bereft of the basic intelligence required to figure out which way is up, you're also lacking the kind of effort that's required to carry out the most simple tasks like "find a useful collection of words" and "read a useful collection of words". Shame on you.

Have a question about this kerel, I got 1 % drop per hour in standby ( sleeping 8 hour and wake from 100% go down to 93%). Is it normal?

No it's not normal. This is outrageous. Thank you for submitting this bug report so that myself and netarchy can get to work right away on the part of the kernel that is supposed to suspend the space-time continuum when your phone goes into standby so that it uses no power whatsoever. You see we weren't sure whether to suspend time or have it invent hydrogen fuel cells and circumvent the battery during Deep Sleep so we opted for the far easier suspension of space and time. I'm awfully sorry that our experiment failed and we'll now look into kernel code that can combine matter and anti-matter for a low power sustainable reaction so that you lose no precious battery life at all while the phone is in standby. Or you could do us all a favour, including yourself and turn your phone off and never ever touch it again. That way the number of people you communicate with will be curtailed, your phone will never lose power and you'll never need to sully one of my threads again. You have all the intellectual creativity of a box of hair, a command of language worse than that of a deaf mute and an ineptitude so offensive it cannot be summed up in a single word, so I'll try three: You're a moron.

Can't seem to get 1.6ghz stable at all, even at 1.5mV. Running lightening 4.1 and this kernel. any tips?

Yes. Kill yourself. Asking such a question means you're clearly beyond help, have no clue about overclocking and don't deserve such a nice phone. Free up some oxygen and resources for the rest of us please, thanks.

This might sound dumb, I'm using Litening rom 4.1 with Ninphetamine 2.0.2
    What app should i use to underclock my voltage? i tried Voltage Control and after i've got my settings done, i try to check the current battery voltage it's still at 4004mV? Does that mean the application is not working?

Might sound dumb? No no, it IS dumb. 4004mV is how much voltage is remaining in the battery you twatneck. Why are you asking what app you should be using when it is clearly stated ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THE THREAD?. How has it escaped your grasp when editing voltages that are all ~1000mV that over FOUR THOUSAND millivolts might just be something else?? In fact how did the words BATTERY VOLTAGE not clue you in after changing CPU VOLTAGE? You're a (unfortunately) breathing example of never underestimating the lowest level of stupidity. If brains were chocolate bars yours would be labelled "Fun Size".

And do you think that #twiter word in my signature, is a fail? Maybe you don't understand why I put things like this :)

SARCASTIC MODE ON
    I put twiter in a text, but in the hyperlink I'm seeing twitter, oh **** i'm clever!

my twitter was deleted months ago, man.

Since Feb, 2011, and Google knows

And you are a moderator?
    Maybe you have to understand it first, because I don't think that people in usa are much clever.

This guy calls himself a developer. Yes your "#twiter" link is a fail because a: it isn't spelled properly and b: it 404s. Why keep it there if it's a dead link? Because you didn't know until it was pointed out to you, that's why. As for "I don't think that people in usa are much clever"....oh the irony. If your kernels run as well as you post I'm sure scattered around the XDA userbase is a smattering of dead or unresponsive SGS2s. Which wouldn't surprise me. Taking a look at your kernel thread it's clear that you've as much clue as a lobotomised Orang-Utan. More steps on your CPU frequencies than there are on the stairway to heaven, you think somehow that 500MHz uses less power than 200MHz, governors included that anyone doing five minutes of research would know they're unstable, you advertise standard kernel features as unique features in your kernel (CFQ, CFS, boy those sure are new features!) and to top it all off you've got the cheek to take code from Ninphetamine and then come here and ****post. I've more chance of developing film in direct sunlight than you have of developing anything close to competent and the fact that you have the audacity to consume bandwidth on the internet offends me. If braincells were matchsticks you couldn't light a candle, so kindly return to your thread full of fail and leave us big boys and those of us with IQs higher than room temperature to get on with grown up things, mkay?

I have been living in Chester this spring/summer some months, and maybe I'll go in september, so I hope we could meet, because maybe my braincells can't light a candle, but I know that my fists yes. Coincidences of life...mate

Holy **** an actual threat of violence from the internet. Hahahahahaha. At least I think that's what it is. You "know that your fists yes"....I can only assume this is a threat...unless you're chatting me up and want to fist my bottom? I'm not that way inclined mate, sorry.

Try running 1.6ghz under a different rom, I have no problem running 1.6ghz with Cognition S2 using set cpu

I'm revoking the other guy's retard award because you've single handedly come into the post and shown us in fewer than 20 words just what being a hap-hazardous retard with an IQ smaller than a bullant's testicle and the sharpness of a dull stick of butter what being a retard is all about.

No no, please, pray tell, how running a different ROM will magically make a CPU run at 1.6GHz when it wouldn't before? This, you cretinous simpleton, is akin to giving a steam roller a paint job and expecting it to pull an extra 100mph as a result. Please promise me that's the last time you ever post on the internet, because if you keep this up you'll dilute the global IQ so much we'll all start eating our shoes.

I realy appreciate your work but arent you going a little too far with your language and comments? you mentioned your wife at some part of the long story at the first post (who can actually read all this? are you an author as well?). are you also talking to her like this when she doesnt understand somthing? your kids? im definitely not jealous in her ;)

Now come down a little bit with your language and dont help us if you cant do that as a fully grown man (are you a grown man?)

This is the common nature of people, asking dumb questions somethims but on the other hand, do you realy expect them to know as much as you do on changing kernels and messing with them? the fact that you might have no life does not mean you should take it out on others isnt it?

Now come on, tell me what you think about my post, dont spare any word of it!

Oh yippee the language police arrived. I'm so pleased you found the opportunity to take time away from your perfect life your perfect wife your perfect children and your perfect job situated high within that glorious and shining ivory tower of yours to descend upon us normal folk to educate us about our terrible language and vulgar manner of insulting those whom we only see as morose shambling idiots who cannot even manage to search a thread, whereas you see them as gleaming examples of humanity, bereft of love, attention and experience.

Well, as you're now down here on planet Earth, you globulating and sickeningly sweet preacher of goodwill, may I first introduce you to the word hypocrisy. Often rife among your dogooding kind, it means that you sit on high quaffing down pints of innocence and regurgitating it upon us regular folk as some kind of moral education, while still sneering like a ****ing 1930s cartoon villain. If you could get the shine of your halo out of your eyes for a few seconds and deign to look upon the unwashed masses, you'd recognise that dishing out lessons in manners doesn't often mix well if you throw in a dash of "insult their lack of any life worth living" or "let's have a pop at his wife".

You sir, are a **** but not only that, you're the worst type of ****. I'd rather deal with 20 of EACH of every idiot that precedes you in this posted collection of horrors than one of you, you vile and pathetic excuse for a human being. How dare you feign to come into my thread and chastise my use of language when you can't even ****ing spell let alone string a sentence together. You're not only offensive to the morals you're offensive to the eyes, you write down pure eye cancer and I implore you to stop.

I have never and will never excuse anyone's lack of common sense. There's a difference between not knowing and not even having the wherewithall to help your sodding self. I berate the latter and assist the former, whereas you don't flap your ****in caviar chompers unless there's some moral crusade to embark upon. How about you be honest with yourself and realise that you only arm yourself for combat and mount upon your trusty forum steed to put right what mere mortals like me have wronged, to give yourself grace and relief from the sorry, putrid and langquidly depressing state your own life is in. How about you spend even half the effort you spent ejaculating that illiterate and berating post into my thread, on sorting your own miserable existence out and then maybe we'd both be a lot happier. Your insignificant blip of an existence wouldn't be quite so worthless to you and maybe, just maybe, you'd keep your hypocrisy laden lectures to yourself which would in turn make me very happy indeed.
    Download Links

Ninphetamine version 2.1.3 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.1.2 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.1.1 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.1.0 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.5 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.4 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.2 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.2 Workaround Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.1 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.1 Workaround Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.0 Release Edition

Ninphetamine version 2.0.0 Workaround Edition
    Changelog

2.1.3 Release Edition
    • Re-enabled kallsyms (thanks supercurio for the heads up).
    • Fixed initramfs to provide support to custom ROMs that use startup scripts in /system/etc/init.d (thanks designgears).

2.1.2 Release Edition
    • Added a workaround for some ROMs bootlooping after a wipe of /data due to incorrect permissions on the new subdirectories created. Appears to be a ROM bug, perhaps KH3 related, would be handy if ROM developers could look for a fix.

2.1.1 Release Edition
    • Added FUSE and CUSE support.

2.1.0 Release Edition
    • Update to Samsung XXKG5 source (Update2)
    • Added GPU clock control interface (currently has no GUI)
    • Minimum CPU voltage now properly clamped at 800mV
    • Misc tweaks and fixes, see github commit log to cfs-exp for full details

2.0.5 Release Edition
    • Improvements to BLN battery usage.
    • Changes made to touchpanel sensitivity when the phone is charging to resolve issues for people using certain screen protectors that stop registering user input when on charge.

2.0.4 Release Edition
    • BLN support added.
    • RAM console (/proc/last_kmsg) added.
    • Workaround edition deprecated.

2.0.2 Release/Workaround Edition
    • More VPN features added.
    • JHash updated to version 3.

2.0.1 Release/Workaround Edition
    • CIFS support added.

2.0.0 Release Edition
    • Samsung's latest source update applied to base.
    • Kernel base updated to 2.6.35.11.
    • Overclock up to 1.6GHz.
    • Voltage control via SetCPU or Voltage Control from 800mV up to 1500mV.
    • BFQv2-r1 IO scheduler added and set as default.
    • Optimised EXT4 mount options.
    • Various other performance related tweaks.

2.0.0 Workaround Edition
    As above, but with some patches applied to workaround errata inherent to some Cortex A8/A9 processors.
    FAQ

• How do I change my GPU clock speed?
    Either wait for GUI support to appear in the form of an addition to SetCPU or a standalone GUI, or if you're confident with a terminal:
    Code:
    adb shell
    cat /sys/devices/virtual/misc/gpu_clock_control/gpu_control # To view current settings
    echo 267 300 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/gpu_clock_control/gpu_control # Sets GPU clock from 160/267 to 267/300
    We currently have a 450MHz maximum clock and 10MHz minimum clock. The presence of these values does not necessarily mean your GPU can run at these speeds, like all overclocking your results can and most likely will vary. Do not come crying in this thread because you broke your phone or set fire to your desk or gave yourself third degree burns. Actually, do, I enjoy a good laugh.
    • Hey any update on you guys getting FEATURE done or CHANGE I'd like?
    Given that I'm away on honeymoon in two weeks and we're expecting Samsung to release sources actually used with 2.3.4 Any Day Now (tm) any new features are unlikely to appear until September, unless you're part of my IRC Testing Crew and we start testing new features ready for the release of the next major version. So stop asking.
    • Uncle Hacre, I had a nasty crash and my phone rebooted, I want to help you debug this, what can I do?
    Code:
    adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg > lastkmsg.log
    Then zip up the lastkmsg.log file and attach it to your post informing me of the issue.
    • I simply must have every possible second of battery life available, other kernel devs are disabling adb and logcat to make this happen can you do this please battery life is very important to me as I often spend days in Outer Mongolia with no access to power and that extra thirty minutes of battery life could be the difference between me tweeting I've lost my toes to frostbite or not!
    Debugging features in the kernel are already disabled. Have I disabled adb/logcat? No. Will I? No. I'm at 50 hours uptime on my phone with just under 40% battery remaining. I see no battery issue. Whether the life can be slightly improved or not, removing a key debugging function from the land of custom ROMs is an incredibly stupid idea. What if you flash a custom ROM and there's an issue and the ROM developer needs debugging information to fix it? What if you install an app that has a problem and you cannot give any feedback to the app developer? Are you prepared to flash a kernel that has adb enabled any time you have an issue? For the minor gains in battery life it isn't worth it.
    • There's a ClockworkMod Recovery with a higher version number than the one you're providing surely bigger numbers means better why aren't you providing it?!?!
    I'll update CWM Recovery as and when a version appears that provides a feature or fixes a bug that we're afflicted with.
    • WAAAAHHHHHHH QQ I have to wait ONE ENTIRE SECOND for my phone to wake up from standby!!!111oneeleven. This is totally unacceptable and it is ruining my life!!!
    Of course it takes a second to wake up from deep sleep. Everything has been shut off, the CPU placed in low power mode and the entire OS placed into suspend. I don't know about you but it takes me far longer than one second to be fully coherent and responsive when I wake up in the morning and I've only got one brain to worry about, the SGS2 has two of them! Shut the whining up about this complete and utter non issue.
    • What ROMs will this work with?
    The kernel has been tested with VillainROM 2.0 and 2.1. It should in theory work with any ROM based on a stock SGS2 ROM. However if your ROM developer requires a custom initramfs for features you may encounter problems.
    • How do I overclock my CPU?
    • How do I change the voltage of my CPU?
    • I cannot use adb install anymore.
    We're aware of this and are working on a solution for the next release. In the meantime adb push the apk to the phone and install using a file browser.
    • My phone was running fine for hours but I just now had a random reboot. What should I do?
    Learn to read. Download and install the Workaround Edition.
    • I have Tegrak installed while using your kernel, does that make me an idiot?
    Yes.