Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Unroot and return to stock

22nd July 2011, 01:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18

257 posts
I am in need of some quick assistance. I opened my case to my GT10.1 this morning and found a scratch. I have until tomorrow to return this and plan on doing so at lunch today (about 3 hours from now).

Being as I am rooted, how do I un-root and return to stock?

Do I just flash this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1118132

and if so, do I flash it from recovery or what?
22nd July 2011, 03:03 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 31

288 posts
I'm not sure that would unroot the device. In this thread there's a link to the stock rom, but again, I don't believe that would unroot. Where did you buy it? I'm pretty sure they'd probably just take it back anyway. Chances are the employees won't even be able to tell its rooted.
22nd July 2011, 03:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

257 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamaja

I'm not sure that would unroot the device. In this thread there's a link to the stock rom, but again, I don't believe that would unroot. Where did you buy it? I'm pretty sure they'd probably just take it back anyway. Chances are the employees won't even be able to tell its rooted.

Actually, I went ahead and flashed the 3.1 OTA which does indeed return it to stock/unroot as the apps the required root are no longer working. However, you have to do a wipe as well to remove all of your apps/data/etc. Afterwards, I hooked it up to my computer and removed all of the non-stock folders.

I got it from Best Buy and since I'm a premiere silver customer, I have 45 days to return with no re-stock fee . Honestly though, I just want a new one.
22nd July 2011, 03:43 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

257 posts
The only thing I'm not sure on is the recovery. I did not check that to see if it was still CWM or not. I'm guessing they won't even check that though (or hoping rather).
22nd July 2011, 03:50 PM   |  #5  

288 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapasso

The only thing I'm not sure on is the recovery. I did not check that to see if it was still CWM or not. I'm guessing they won't even check that though (or hoping rather).

You'll get a blank confused stare if you mention the word recovery. Its good to know that its that easy to unroot. I wonder if odin can remove the custom recovery. I really have little to no knowledge of these things.
22nd July 2011, 03:55 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 119

452 posts
You have to ODIN stock recovery as well.
22nd July 2011, 04:09 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

257 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_z

You have to ODIN stock recovery as well.

Not familiar with ODIN at all.

Care to explain/shed some light on it ?
22nd July 2011, 06:17 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

257 posts
Returned/Exchanged at lunch. No questions asked
22nd July 2011, 06:19 PM   |  #9  

288 posts
I'm sure they had other things on their mind at customer service. If it were geek squad it might be another story, those nerds are on to us!
25th July 2011, 05:38 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

257 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamaja

I'm sure they had other things on their mind at customer service. If it were geek squad it might be another story, those nerds are on to us!

lol...True.

So I had them put on the Invisible Shield while I was there (this way I avoided doing it and no finger prints). I let it sit in my office over the weekend then turned it on today. Come to find out, a brand new in box that I have has the locked bootloader . Luckily, I read up on things and have since rooted it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread