Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,128 Members 40,496 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unroot and return to stock

Tip us?

ccapasso
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Exclamation Unroot and return to stock

I am in need of some quick assistance. I opened my case to my GT10.1 this morning and found a scratch. I have until tomorrow to return this and plan on doing so at lunch today (about 3 hours from now).

Being as I am rooted, how do I un-root and return to stock?

Do I just flash this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1118132

and if so, do I flash it from recovery or what?

pandamaja
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I'm not sure that would unroot the device. In this thread there's a link to the stock rom, but again, I don't believe that would unroot. Where did you buy it? I'm pretty sure they'd probably just take it back anyway. Chances are the employees won't even be able to tell its rooted.

ccapasso
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamaja View Post
I'm not sure that would unroot the device. In this thread there's a link to the stock rom, but again, I don't believe that would unroot. Where did you buy it? I'm pretty sure they'd probably just take it back anyway. Chances are the employees won't even be able to tell its rooted.
Actually, I went ahead and flashed the 3.1 OTA which does indeed return it to stock/unroot as the apps the required root are no longer working. However, you have to do a wipe as well to remove all of your apps/data/etc. Afterwards, I hooked it up to my computer and removed all of the non-stock folders.

I got it from Best Buy and since I'm a premiere silver customer, I have 45 days to return with no re-stock fee . Honestly though, I just want a new one.

ccapasso
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
The only thing I'm not sure on is the recovery. I did not check that to see if it was still CWM or not. I'm guessing they won't even check that though (or hoping rather).

pandamaja
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapasso View Post
The only thing I'm not sure on is the recovery. I did not check that to see if it was still CWM or not. I'm guessing they won't even check that though (or hoping rather).
You'll get a blank confused stare if you mention the word recovery. Its good to know that its that easy to unroot. I wonder if odin can remove the custom recovery. I really have little to no knowledge of these things.

Vlad_z
Old
Thanks Meter 119
You have to ODIN stock recovery as well.

ccapasso
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_z View Post
You have to ODIN stock recovery as well.
Not familiar with ODIN at all.

Care to explain/shed some light on it ?

ccapasso
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Returned/Exchanged at lunch. No questions asked

pandamaja
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I'm sure they had other things on their mind at customer service. If it were geek squad it might be another story, those nerds are on to us!

ccapasso
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamaja View Post
I'm sure they had other things on their mind at customer service. If it were geek squad it might be another story, those nerds are on to us!
lol...True.

So I had them put on the Invisible Shield while I was there (this way I avoided doing it and no finger prints). I let it sit in my office over the weekend then turned it on today. Come to find out, a brand new in box that I have has the locked bootloader . Luckily, I read up on things and have since rooted it.