Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,898 Members 48,674 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Otterbox Commuter vs. Trident Aegis (pics)

Tip us?

Rememo
Old
(Last edited by Rememo; 24th July 2011 at 03:30 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Cool Otterbox Commuter vs. Trident Aegis (pics)

I thought I'd start a new thread so the photos wouldn't get lost in one of the other case threads. I received the Aegis today. My wife and I both have the Charge and I bought Commuters for both, so I was able to install the Aegis on my phone and take comparison photos for those of you wondering about the differences.

I have to thank moondrius again, since I believe he was the first to post information about the Aegis, which lead me to purchase it instead of waiting for the Kraken 2.

Aegis:

Dislikes: More difficult to put on the phone than the Commuter. If you plan on swapping batteries often I wouldn't recommend this case. Lack of protection for the hard buttons. Silicon port covers are a bit harder to open than on the Commuter.

Likes: The grip coating on the hard case. The hard case support on the top of the phone. Extra protection on corners of phone. Cover over speaker.

Notes: While the grip coating makes it slightly more difficult to slide in and out of a pocket, the flares at the top of the phone make it easy to grab when you need to remove it from a pocket. A nice little design feature. The Aegis DOES have a cover for the HDMI port. I'm not sure what the holes are for on the back of the Aegis. Heat dissipation perhaps?

Commuter:

Dislikes: Silicon easily separates from the top of the phone when phone is grabbed from the top. Hard case is slippery, so it slides off of sloped surfaces and can slip from your hand.

Likes: Hard button coverage, although dust and dirt could still migrate under the protected area. Silicon port covers are easier to open than on the Aegis. It's a bit easier to slide in and out of a pocket. Case is relatively easy to install on the phone.

Notes: The Commuter is a more svelte case than the Aegis. The Commuter DOES NOT have a cover over the HDMI port.

On to the photos (the green case is the Trident Aegis). Sorry that they're a bit out of focus, my eyes were tired right after work. I also apologize for the hair and dust, but with six furry beasts running around, keeping the phones hair free is impossible.

Commuter silicon can separate from top of phone.
"I have to return some video tapes."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rememo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Smitty9803
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Great side by side comparison! I'll be getting one of these within the next week after I make a decision. Thanks for taking the time to make the write-up.

moondrius
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Nice post. This pretty much sums it up.

kgbeezr1
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Could you comment on the ease of button presses? I have the Commuter and while I like the case a lot it makes the power and volume buttons very hard to press, I have to use the edge of my thumb and give it a good jab.

moondrius
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Its very easy to hit buttons with the Aegis.

zeuswsu
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for this. This confirms that I won't be buying the otterbox for sure, since I hate hard plastic. I like my current Incipio, case but the trident case looks like a good alternative.

xceebeex
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I have a quick question about the Commuter case. It looks like there is no way for the baclights for the buttons to shine through the case, is that correct? I really like the looks of the Commuter case but I am trying to figure out if covering the backlights is worth it.

Rememo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceebeex View Post
I have a quick question about the Commuter case. It looks like there is no way for the baclights for the buttons to shine through the case, is that correct? I really like the looks of the Commuter case but I am trying to figure out if covering the backlights is worth it.

You are correct. The hard buttons are completely covered, so no back-lighting will come through.
"I have to return some video tapes."

xceebeex
Old
(Last edited by xceebeex; 27th July 2011 at 06:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
You are correct. The hard buttons are completely covered, so no back-lighting will come through.
That is what I was afraid of. I really like the Commuter and it would probably be the perfect case for me if the backlights were visible. I am not sure if I am sold on the Aegis. It looks a little too big and with the plugs being harder to open it might get annoying.

I like the Incipio Silicrylic case as well, but that one has no HDMI cutout which is kinda strange. Not sure what to do at this point, but great review!

elucid
Old
(Last edited by elucid; 1st August 2011 at 05:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
My Otterbox commuter came in the mail yesterday. Here are my thoughts:
1) The Otterbox was super easy to install and looks nice. I like how the Samsung logo is covered because of the continutity of black.
2) Wow, this is a a chunky case! It is much thicker than I thought it would be. I definately wouldn't want a thicker case.
3) On the other hand, this looks extremely sturdy (One guy dropped his on off his bike going 75mph and the phone was fine). I'm not surprised.
4) The bottom physical buttons are covered but still have a really good feel to them (possibly better than having them not covered). However, at night I will have to get used to the positions. I was surprised how I instinctively knew where the buttons go without looking anyways.
5) Plugs and other buttons are easy to access. On button is actually easier to press now.
6) Slides in an out of my pocket with ease.
7) Decent grip in my hand

Overall I'm pretty happy. It was chunkier than I thought from looking at the pictures, but it also looks a lot more solid. It has a much better hand feel without feeling bulky in my pocket.