Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,836 Members 42,076 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Whatsapp for flyer

Tip us?

wwe007
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Whatsapp for flyer

Hello guys out there. I flyer user

This is what I facing currently. I tried to install Whatsapp in flyer but it doesn't seem working plus it prompt out a massage to wait for 15 min.
Anyone out there have Whatsapp installed in your flyer that working perfectly fine..... I still searching for the apk file

Anyone able 5o contribute any solutions?
Help out!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using XDA Premium App

veethree
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I'm using WhatsApp without any issues on my Flyer and it works very well. I got the apk directly from the WhatsApp site.

I did find that I had to have my cell radio turned on to use it, though, despite the fact that the messages are sent over wifi.

nanop11
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by veethree View Post
I'm using WhatsApp without any issues on my Flyer and it works very well. I got the apk directly from the WhatsApp site.

I did find that I had to have my cell radio turned on to use it, though, despite the fact that the messages are sent over wifi.
Hi!

Tried Whatsapp in my Flyer and the application "could not recognize phone model".

Three weeks ago, I contacted Whatsapp-support and got the following answer "Sorry, tablets are not supported at this time and we have no plans to support them."

So bad luck for me...for now.

Pls, veethree, could you confirm the website where you downloaded the apk from?

Thanks !

spinynorman.nz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi,

I have WhatsApp running on my Flyer P510e. I took the APK from my HTC Desire as it isn't available from the market.

WhatsApp identifies/registers itself using your devices phone number, which makes things interesting if you change SIM often - for example while travelling overseas. I doubt you will be able to get whatsapp going successfully if you have a wi-fi only Flyer or no SIM in your 3G flyer.

Cheers
Richard

sdge
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinynorman.nz View Post
Hi,

I have WhatsApp running on my Flyer P510e. I took the APK from my HTC Desire as it isn't available from the market.

WhatsApp identifies/registers itself using your devices phone number, which makes things interesting if you change SIM often - for example while travelling overseas. I doubt you will be able to get whatsapp going successfully if you have a wi-fi only Flyer or no SIM in your 3G flyer.

Cheers
Richard
How exactly do you take the .apk from your Desire? I have whatsapp going on my htc evo 4g, but I can't get it from there to my evo view 4g.

Please help.

spinynorman.nz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi,

Before you get started you need to do a few things:

1) You need a file manager that lets you manage and backup applications you have installed on your phone. I use Astro. Install that onto both devices.

2) I transferred the APK between devices using standard bluetooth, if you want to do that then you need to activate bluetooth on both devices and pair them.

3) Almost forgot, make sure you have 'Unknown Sources' activated in the 'Applications' settings options.

So what you do is:
Enable bluetooth on both devices and make sure they are paired;

Use the Astro to make a backup of the whatsapp application. In Astro this is done via the 'Tools' menu item and the 'Application Manager/Backup' option. Select the app(s) you want to back up, then hit the 'backup' button. Backups are stored on the sdcard in the 'backups/apps' directory and should be called com.whatsapp.apk or similar. Navigate to that directory;

Long-press on the apk to activate the pop-up menu, select 'Send', then 'Bluetooth' (if bluetooth isn't available as an option then check that you have activated bluetooth). Select the flyer from the bluetooth devices list. The file transfer will start.

Now you have to switch to the flyer and accept the incoming file via the notifications panel.

After it's been transferred you just need to activate it from where it is listed in the the notifications dropdown and elect to install it. It wont install if 'Unknown Sources' is not enabled.

From there you should be able to register whatsapp. Note that each of your devices will show up as different users to your contacts on whatsapp.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spinynorman.nz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

veethree
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I got the apk directly from the WhatsApp website - they have a "download" section and then one for "download for Android" which saves the apk onto your PC (or your device, if you're using it to browse).

As has been said, you need a 3G model for this to work - the wifi only version probably gives issues.

sdge
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinynorman.nz View Post
Hi,

Before you get started you need to do a few things:

1) You need a file manager that lets you manage and backup applications you have installed on your phone. I use Astro. Install that onto both devices.

2) I transferred the APK between devices using standard bluetooth, if you want to do that then you need to activate bluetooth on both devices and pair them.

3) Almost forgot, make sure you have 'Unknown Sources' activated in the 'Applications' settings options.

So what you do is:
Enable bluetooth on both devices and make sure they are paired;

Use the Astro to make a backup of the whatsapp application. In Astro this is done via the 'Tools' menu item and the 'Application Manager/Backup' option. Select the app(s) you want to back up, then hit the 'backup' button. Backups are stored on the sdcard in the 'backups/apps' directory and should be called com.whatsapp.apk or similar. Navigate to that directory;

Long-press on the apk to activate the pop-up menu, select 'Send', then 'Bluetooth' (if bluetooth isn't available as an option then check that you have activated bluetooth). Select the flyer from the bluetooth devices list. The file transfer will start.

Now you have to switch to the flyer and accept the incoming file via the notifications panel.

After it's been transferred you just need to activate it from where it is listed in the the notifications dropdown and elect to install it. It wont install if 'Unknown Sources' is not enabled.

From there you should be able to register whatsapp. Note that each of your devices will show up as different users to your contacts on whatsapp.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Wow, thanks very much. So many times I had seen people "moving an .apk from their phone" but I never knew exactly how they did it.

That being said, it didn't work for my evo view =( Really sucks. Gotta wait for one of my friends to finally get his android so we can use google plus.

waterthing
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I try to do it but still can't identified. My flyer

liaobp1983
Old
(Last edited by liaobp1983; 4th August 2011 at 03:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
I have successfully use and installed whatsapp (thru apk from my desire) with no problem. This was before s-off, and my software number was 1.xxSomething.

When I upgrade to 2.xxSomething and got s-off. I still successfully installed but can not launch whatsapp because of "cant identify device" error.