Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

16GB to 32GB Upgrade?

OP ThatGeekGuy

26th July 2011, 09:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

63 posts
I am picking up a 16GB A500 from Staples today (only $300 w/the coupon, woot!), and would like to upgrade the internal memory to 32GB. I'm certain that the memory is soldered to the board, but am curious if the existing memory requires replacement or if there is an empty location for another 16GB memory chip.

Has anyone tried this, and/or are there any photos of a torn-down A500? TIA for any inputs.
26th July 2011, 09:28 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 538

2,663 posts
More
There is no vacant slot for another flash chip. There are plenty of pics of the internals, and even some teardown videos if you care to google.
26th July 2011, 09:58 PM   |  #3  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 520

2,422 posts
Donate to Me
More
This like most all imbedded devices is what you have is what you get monotonous mentioned to be updated. So that software major ones willbforce youbto buy a new tablet sooner its the price we paybto have the next best thing
26th July 2011, 10:55 PM   |  #4  
Flag 30 minutes south of 4G, Illnois
Thanks Meter: 103

508 posts
More
I recommend just putting in a 16GB or even 32GB microsd. They are a little weird the way you access them though. To save you some digging:

Your 16GB internal storage will come up under /sdcard/ while the external card is /mnt/external_sd (or something like that).
26th July 2011, 11:39 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

63 posts
So if there isn't an open location on the board, that would require removing the current 16 GB chip and replacing it with a 32GB chip. No big deal.

I've already got a 16GB microSD, but some programs are stubborn about not moving to micro SD. This tab is a replacement for my gTab, I'll be rooting it soon and am not scared of internal upgrades.
26th July 2011, 11:56 PM   |  #6  

34 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGeekGuy

So if there isn't an open location on the board, that would require removing the current 16 GB chip and replacing it with a 32GB chip. No big deal.

I've already got a 16GB microSD, but some programs are stubborn about not moving to micro SD. This tab is a replacement for my gTab, I'll be rooting it soon and am not scared of internal upgrades.

I think you're confused...

There is 16GB internal AND you can ADD a 16GB memory card which gives you 32GB total. That is not 32GB internal, per se, even though it's all contained within the device physically.

Changing from 16GB to 32GB would require physically tearing apart the A500 then putting in the 32GB chip, which is an on board chip, not a simple micro-SD card.

You could also just add a 32GB micro-SD card and end up with 48GB total.
27th July 2011, 12:04 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

45 posts
Guys/gals he seems to be aware about having to tear apart the iconia to add the memory in his first post he states that its soldered and later says hes not scared of internal upgrades
To answer your question from what I have seen you are correct you would have to de-solder and remove the 16gb chip and solder the 32 in its place . you are either very brave or have some good experience lol
let us know how the upgrade goes!
27th July 2011, 02:49 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxbeast1210

Guys/gals he seems to be aware about having to tear apart the iconia to add the memory in his first post he states that its soldered and later says hes not scared of internal upgrades
To answer your question from what I have seen you are correct you would have to de-solder and remove the 16gb chip and solder the 32 in its place . you are either very brave or have some good experience lol
let us know how the upgrade goes!

I hear that, the impression that I got was that ThatGeekGuy was ready to dive in head first.

@ThatGeekGuy.. If I had the equipment I'd do exactly what you're trying to do, please let us know if you achieve what you set out to do!
27th July 2011, 07:01 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 299

1,795 posts
Why not try 64gb?
27th July 2011, 09:31 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
More
nice Idea!
good luck

I would think about partitioning the chip and copying the OS onto it beforehand,
after all, even the recovery is on that chip

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread