Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,386 Members 38,823 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

16GB to 32GB Upgrade?

Tip us?

ThatGeekGuy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default 16GB to 32GB Upgrade?

I am picking up a 16GB A500 from Staples today (only $300 w/the coupon, woot!), and would like to upgrade the internal memory to 32GB. I'm certain that the memory is soldered to the board, but am curious if the existing memory requires replacement or if there is an empty location for another 16GB memory chip.

Has anyone tried this, and/or are there any photos of a torn-down A500? TIA for any inputs.

FloatingFatMan
Old
Thanks Meter 536
There is no vacant slot for another flash chip. There are plenty of pics of the internals, and even some teardown videos if you care to google.
No stupid giant pics here! Just two lines of text!
Current Devices: Nokia Lumia 930, ASUS T100TA Convertible Tablet

erica_renee
Old
Thanks Meter 506

DONATE TO ME
This like most all imbedded devices is what you have is what you get monotonous mentioned to be updated. So that software major ones willbforce youbto buy a new tablet sooner its the price we paybto have the next best thing
They are my Nexus 7,Note 10.1 and Note 2 phone.
Get your own.Play nice and follow the rules or you WILL end up in the knob jail Cell

rstuckmaier
Old
Thanks Meter 103
I recommend just putting in a 16GB or even 32GB microsd. They are a little weird the way you access them though. To save you some digging:

Your 16GB internal storage will come up under /sdcard/ while the external card is /mnt/external_sd (or something like that).
Rumor has it that the Nexus 4 has a development section.

ThatGeekGuy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
So if there isn't an open location on the board, that would require removing the current 16 GB chip and replacing it with a 32GB chip. No big deal.

I've already got a 16GB microSD, but some programs are stubborn about not moving to micro SD. This tab is a replacement for my gTab, I'll be rooting it soon and am not scared of internal upgrades.

ieee_raider
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGeekGuy View Post
So if there isn't an open location on the board, that would require removing the current 16 GB chip and replacing it with a 32GB chip. No big deal.

I've already got a 16GB microSD, but some programs are stubborn about not moving to micro SD. This tab is a replacement for my gTab, I'll be rooting it soon and am not scared of internal upgrades.
I think you're confused...

There is 16GB internal AND you can ADD a 16GB memory card which gives you 32GB total. That is not 32GB internal, per se, even though it's all contained within the device physically.

Changing from 16GB to 32GB would require physically tearing apart the A500 then putting in the 32GB chip, which is an on board chip, not a simple micro-SD card.

You could also just add a 32GB micro-SD card and end up with 48GB total.

oxbeast1210
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Guys/gals he seems to be aware about having to tear apart the iconia to add the memory in his first post he states that its soldered and later says hes not scared of internal upgrades
To answer your question from what I have seen you are correct you would have to de-solder and remove the 16gb chip and solder the 32 in its place . you are either very brave or have some good experience lol
let us know how the upgrade goes!

ehasoon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxbeast1210 View Post
Guys/gals he seems to be aware about having to tear apart the iconia to add the memory in his first post he states that its soldered and later says hes not scared of internal upgrades
To answer your question from what I have seen you are correct you would have to de-solder and remove the 16gb chip and solder the 32 in its place . you are either very brave or have some good experience lol
let us know how the upgrade goes!
I hear that, the impression that I got was that ThatGeekGuy was ready to dive in head first.

@ThatGeekGuy.. If I had the equipment I'd do exactly what you're trying to do, please let us know if you achieve what you set out to do!

daveid
Old
Thanks Meter 298
Why not try 64gb?

wolfman8
Old
Thanks Meter 1
nice Idea!
good luck

I would think about partitioning the chip and copying the OS onto it beforehand,
after all, even the recovery is on that chip