G2 Gingerbread OTA starts today

Search This thread

hogg2500

Nov 19, 2010
I found this on T-Mobile's G2 Support Community:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1809

"On July 27, T-Mobile G2 devices will begin to receive an Over-The-Air (OTA) update to Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread). The update will roll out to customers in waves over the coming weeks.

The update provides the following enhancements and improvements.

New features:
Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)
Tell HTC
Google Books added
Notification bar color scheme is changed to black
New battery indicator, phone, and web icons
Color-coded network icon and signal indicator added. Green when connected to Google servers. Grey when not connected.
Pressing the power key while on a call disables the proximity sensor
Fixed or improved issues:
Wi-Fi calling improvements
New SMS and email notification improvements
Improvements to sending MMS from the Gallery

Your phone will show a notification when you have received the update. Alternately, to check if your phone has the update, follow these steps:

From Home screen, press the Menu key.
Tap Settings.
Tap About Phone.
Tap System Updates.

Important: Do NOT call T-Mobile to receive the update before September 1. The timeline for receiving the OTA cannot be expedited. T-Mobile cannot manually push the software to customers who ask to receive it.

Software upgrades at retail stores

Beginning August 5, you will be able to go to a T-Mobile retail store to update your T-Mobile G2, T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide, and T-Mobile myTouch 4G to the most recent software version. This helps if you have not gotten the Over-The-Air (OTA) update or if you cannot perform the USB tethered update.

If the OTA or tethered update fail, here is what to expect at the retail store:

Updating at the store can erase all the data on the device. The SD card will not lose data.
Back up your data, synchronize your contacts to Google or T-Mobile Backup, and write down the names of all the applications you will want to re-install.
The update can take up to 30 minutes to complete.
The update requires that your phone has over 50% battery life at the store.
The rep at the retail store will:
Remove your personal SD card.
Insert a software update SD card.
Wait for the update to download and install on the device.
Remove the software update SD card.
Insert your personal SD card again."

Last edited:
Reactions: Lockedown

Lockedown

Nov 18, 2009
Excited for 2.3 - stock is fantastic. The only issue remains that I need root to run VPN Connections for work. So close! Thanks for posting.

Nospin

Nov 20, 2010
Yay for you stock people! Will give you guys a nice fresh device.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

globalninja

Mar 4, 2010
I just want the modem because my gf keeps complaining about poor signal and wonky wifi signal on cm7

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

diehardfan

Apr 19, 2010
this will be my first android phone getting a OTA update, some questions.
-If my phone is rooted, will I need to root again?
-Will all the system settings revert to default?

thanks

x6369x

Mar 30, 2008
Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the same update that was leaked in May?
I am running Build 2.13.531.8 CL56018.

trjcasper

Jan 27, 2011
YES u will lose root and have to wait for a new way to to change the hboot.....u will still have ur system settings if ur on stock rom...

What other ROMS can someone rooted run that will defeat/prevent download and loss of root?

Are ROMS based on the .5 and .8 leaks safe? Or do we need CM or miui?

kingston73

Feb 8, 2011
Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the same update that was leaked in May?
I am running Build 2.13.531.8 CL56018.

I'd love to hear this as well. SO...nobody so far has actually gotten this update? Really? When you do, like somebody else said, post where you are please.

[hfm]

Aug 21, 2009
NYC
I'd love to hear this as well. SO...nobody so far has actually gotten this update? Really? When you do, like somebody else said, post where you are please.

The location of the person never mattered, it's completely random based on EMEI or some such.

I am just waiting for someone to post the direct link so I can manually update the G2 my wife inherited from me.

flamingblue8z

Jun 1, 2007
Pittsburgh
i was about to say the same thing, location DOES NOT matter in the least. I think it's partly first-come, first served based on check-in (*#*#CHECKIN#*#* to force it) and also IMEI based too. But most importantly, I also would like to see the manual update ZIP, as well as the version.

C

Cimer

Don't worry about rooting 2.3.3 we've already done that, and it's great that the G2 is seeing a update for those stock users :)

lawalty

May 16, 2008
I want to stay rooted with my GB CM nightly. It is really close to perfection, and now since Netflix is working smooth as butter, there is no reason to change. Since im running the latest nightly, would I see something that I would click to download?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App

Nospin

Nov 20, 2010
I want to stay rooted with my GB CM nightly. It is really close to perfection, and now since Netflix is working smooth as butter, there is no reason to change. Since im running the latest nightly, would I see something that I would click to download?

???

If you aren't on stock you won't get the update. CM strips out the ability to receive otas, would get a lot of bricks if they didn't.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
The location of the person never mattered, it's completely random based on EMEI or some such.

I am just waiting for someone to post the direct link so I can manually update the G2 my wife inherited from me.

The rom has been in the dev forum since 05/10. The full pc10img for stock users is over there somewhere too.

shabgard

Aug 20, 2010
Can someone please direct me to the stock 2.2 ROM I'm on my phone and its pain in the but searching, thank you.
I wanna see if I can get the update.

Edit: found it and flashed but still no OTA.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rename the file you download to update.zip and place it on the root of the SDCARD. Then use the factory recovery to apply the update.
    Now I've been mostly nice in this thread and being logical. I'm also aware nobody HAS to do anything for us.

That being said...

Why are people that come to read this thread not even bothering to run aLogCat????

Seriously. If you're coming to this forum, you probably have an understanding beyond the general public about your device. By now, many people should be running aLogCat. Why are so many people posting they have it yet not providing URLs? And is there not some way to go BACK into the log? I mean it IS a FILE is it not?

Also for those of you thinking this is some bull**** that doesn't really exist, go join the people who keep talking about other conspiracy theories. The update exists. It's just being rolled out very slowly.
    Too bad you didn't run aLogCat before the update downloaded, we'd have the url now.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

yeah, so instead in 5-10 min you'll have a dropbox or mediashare url. waaaaa :D
    Try this URL for the direct download:

http_colon_slash_slash_android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/tmobile_g2/f4d11a64d2df.OTA_Vision_Gingerbread_S_TMOUS_2.15.531.3-1.22.531.8_release_197463.zip

It worked for me.