Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,628 Members 39,805 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to replace HTC Mozart glass / digitiser

Tip us?

hsclater
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default How to replace HTC Mozart glass / digitiser

I can't find any info on this, but it looks like it could be tricky to replace. I cracked my glass by dropping it onto stone, still works OK. You can pick up digitisers pretty cheap on ebay (20 UK) but does anyone know how to replace? I read that they can be glued to the LCD?

Thanks

yardie.spike
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Google for the fixit website, if someone has done it there will be a tutorial, or you could follow the guide on here to upgrade your sd card....only because you have to take the phone fully apart. You need to check if the lcd is glued or like the iphone 4 resin. If they are a sealed unit you'd be better off getting the lcd/digitizer combo on ebay. trying to separate an lcd from the digitizer is asking for trouble imho.
HTC Sensation XE
Rooted, scid
Rom:Latest Stock

HTC 7 Mozart
Mango 7720.68
16gb upgrade
ROM-YardieROM v3
Radio-5.69.09
Firmware 1.30

ADD Me
www.twitter.com/daspk
www.myspace.com/daspk

hsclater
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I have ordered a digitiser, really hope the digitiser is not glued to the LCD, there is a big price difference. I'll let you know how I get on.

MellerLE
Old
(Last edited by MellerLE; 4th August 2011 at 03:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I bought a Mozart with wrecked digitizer and also want to repair it. The digitizer is on its way, so in a week i could tell you how difficult or maybe easy it is.
If you are faster, please post your experience.

I found this thread on xda.cn, and it seems that the lcd isnt glued on the digitizer, so lets hope so

hxxp://xxx.xda.cn/newshow.php?snid=2167

EDIT: sorry cantpost links, so must change the x's to t's and w's

hsclater
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I have got my digitiser now, looks brand new. Just need to find the time to replace, might upgrade the SD card at the same time.

hsclater
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Done

I did this with Andy's guide to help: http://lifeinthefastlaneok.wordpress...e/#comment-225

I used this guide to replace my digitiser (the glass) which I smashed. The good news is that the digitiser is not stuck to the LCD at all. I just bought a grade A digitiser off ebay for 20 which was pretty much perfect - glass was perfect with a couple of small marks on the back case, but basically like new.
There were a couple of differences to this guide:
- Had to replace a speaker type thing at the top of the digitiser that was not present on the new one. Came off quite easily, just stuck in.
- Had to remove the USB port of the old case back (if you are replacing that too) but that was just a couple of screws
- You dont have to split the PCB off if doing this, you just take off the black clips to take it apart and then remove the orange ribbon cable, it is a little tricky to get the new one in but OK.

I now have a phone as good as new, I didn't replace the SD at the same time but probably will do at some point when I can stand loosing all my data.

MellerLE
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Found time today to replace the digitizer. I also used Andy's videos for instruction. And it's really not that hard. Pretty easy for someones first mobile phone repair.

hsclater
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Well done, I would add for anyone else needing to do this, be very careful not to touch the inside of the digitiser or the LCD when you have it apart! Also have a glasses cloth handy for removing any dust particles just before you put it back together.

I do have one strange thing however - before I had intermittent issues where I could not slide the screen up when locked for 10 seconds or so. No I have a slightly different issue when unlocking - it doesn't always let me press on the right hand 3 numbers on the PIN screen! So it seems the unlocking issue some people have is due to a hardware issue. My digitiser was second hand so I might ask for a replacement, but I can change my pin so that it is not an issue.

kendallj
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My Mozart touch-screen hardly works at all plus my wife's Mozart has a cracked digitizer glass (still working fine).

So silly me I took the plunge and ordered three cheap replacement digitizers via eBay (from Hong Hong). They arrived today and all are s**t useless.

When I opened the box I smelt the rat when I spied the HTC logo on each was blanked out on the outside of the plastic zip-lock bags (with what looked like black felt pen), plus each glass has minor blemishes/scratches. Comparing each with the digitizers I removed from my and my wife's phones, they have a different design of ribbon cable conductor layout plus there are indications the plastic moulding isn't as well finished in a couple of places. Either these are factory rejects or knock-off copies. Lesson learnt :(

Anyway, I now need to buy genuine HTC parts.

Any pointers toward reliable sources appreciated, thanks.

KJ

hsclater
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I have bought some off ebay. The problem is that these are almost always from returned Mozart's which may well have been returned due to non responsive screens, which seems to be a very common problem.

I have had 2 off the same chap now, one is OK but not perfect, the other one didnt work at all.

I would just keep returning them until you get one that works.

Sometimes you will find new combined digitiser/LCD's on ebay too, these would be a better bet but cost more.