5,599,977 Members 44,857 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] naming of update files is confusing ! Help!

Tip us?

XBoxD00D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] naming of update files is confusing ! Help!

OK, after reading a bunch of posts today, I'm dizzy as h3ll, and very confused.
We have two updates that came out OTA in the past couple of days.
1.139.04_4.010.40_COM_GEN1
And then we have
1.141.07_4.010.13_COM_GEN2

I bought my Tablet at Walmart in Watertown, NY, and it was a GEN1 with HC 3.01 on it.
Now some are saying that Acer switched over to GEN2 for US tablets as of the 3.1 update. (I'm not naming names).

I've run multiple custom ROMs on my tablet, and recently went back to see how stable the Acer releases have been. I downloaded both of the files listed above, (actually 11 GEN2 then OTA update to 13).

One person stated that the GEN1 was an Australian release, and that the GEN 2 was the US release. I can confirm what someone else said, that they both have GPS.conf files for north America, not Europe, nor Australia. Now I've seen many custom ROMS with different GPS.conf files in them ie: Europe, North America, etc.

Here's my question, how can we know for certain #1 which update is indeed for which country, as they're both seemingly configured for use in North America, unless Acer is really messing things up and issuing updates for Australia with the GPS configured for north America, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me.
And #2, which update is the newest, as someone else stated that the prefix with the highest number is the latest version, and yet another said it was the one with the higher end number is the latest!

If someone knows the real answer to these two questions, please stand up!
Otherwise it's going to get very confusing when trying to give advice to others asking questions about updates if they don't like waiting on Acer to get their act together.
TIA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XBoxD00D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
kjy2010 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoxD00D View Post
OK, after reading a bunch of posts today, I'm dizzy as h3ll, and very confused.
We have two updates that came out OTA in the past couple of days.
1.139.04_4.010.40_COM_GEN1
And then we have
1.141.07_4.010.13_COM_GEN2

I bought my Tablet at Walmart in Watertown, NY, and it was a GEN1 with HC 3.01 on it.
Now some are saying that Acer switched over to GEN2 for US tablets as of the 3.1 update. (I'm not naming names).

I've run multiple custom ROMs on my tablet, and recently went back to see how stable the Acer releases have been. I downloaded both of the files listed above, (actually 11 GEN2 then OTA update to 13).

One person stated that the GEN1 was an Australian release, and that the GEN 2 was the US release. I can confirm what someone else said, that they both have GPS.conf files for north America, not Europe, nor Australia. Now I've seen many custom ROMS with different GPS.conf files in them ie: Europe, North America, etc.

Here's my question, how can we know for certain #1 which update is indeed for which country, as they're both seemingly configured for use in North America, unless Acer is really messing things up and issuing updates for Australia with the GPS configured for north America, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me.
And #2, which update is the newest, as someone else stated that the prefix with the highest number is the latest version, and yet another said it was the one with the higher end number is the latest!

If someone knows the real answer to these two questions, please stand up!
Otherwise it's going to get very confusing when trying to give advice to others asking questions about updates if they don't like waiting on Acer to get their act together.
TIA
Wow no answers to this post. Especially with everyone knowing everything in other threads.....amazing!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dottat
Old
(Last edited by dottat; 18th September 2011 at 05:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 481
Here we go...This is from Acer's patch documents and best shows the current separate code trains...

A. Countries: UK/France/Italy/Spain
- Affected OS versions:
Acer_A500_4.010.22_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.30_COM_GEN1
- After installing the update, you are advised to update your tablet’s operating system to:
Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.38_7.006.01_COM_GEN1 (3.2)

B. Country: USA
- Affected OS versions:
Acer_A500_4.010.07_COM_GEN2
Acer_A500_4.010.08_COM_GEN2
Acer_A500_4.010.09_COM_GEN2
- After installing the update, you are advised to update your tablet’s operating system to:
Acer_A500_4.010.10_COM_GEN2
Acer_A500_4.010.11_COM_GEN2
Acer_A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2 NEW

C. Countries: Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Philippines/India/Vietnam/
Indonesia/Australia/New Zealand
- Affected OS versions:
Acer_A500_4.010.12_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.24_COM_GEN1
- After installing the update, you are advised update your tablet’s operating system to:
Acer_A500_4.010.40_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.40_7.006.03_COM_GEN1 (3.2)

D. Countries: Taiwan/Hong Kong
- Affected OS version:
Acer_A500_4.010.23_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.39_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.41_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.41_7.006.01_COM_GEN1

I'm trying to sort through them to perhaps find/explain some differences.... other than the wifi driver (different countries allow different channels).

The one thing I can tell you is that no matter which rom i've looked at, all of the roms have the following lines in build.prop..

ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US

That said, we can add LAZY to the description of ACER. The thing that makes this most murky is the fact the people like us are more inclined to find instant gratification. That is, we download the newest version of the rom (or so we think) rather than the newest regional version. If you look at the above listings and you are on one of the lower versions for any of the above regions, looking for the OTA on the tablet itself will lead you through the upgrade paths listed for each region.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dottat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dottat
Old
Thanks Meter 481
In all honesty we should have a mod sticky a thread for this so all inbound noobs can see it and avoid some grief.
kjy2010 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat View Post
In all honesty we should have a mod sticky a thread for this so all inbound noobs can see it and avoid some grief.
I agree! It's tough enough as it is helping ppl with the current naming process by Acer, or lack thereof!

Should, could, would, good luck!

af974
Old
Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1886
Moving to Q&A.

PS: Every Q? thread should be posted in Q&A.
“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” ~ Albert Einstein

gammaRascal
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Of course the naming convention is only confusing if you're going off the rails with your tab - those of us who just leave them stock and install OTA's don't particularly care or pay attention to the update names.

Buy tablet > use tablet > get incremental > use tablet > get 3.1 > use tablet > get incremental > use tablet...

I'm waiting until the life cycle on this puppy nears its end before I do any ROM'ming. I'm a little paranoid that way but mostly I'm happy with vanilla. I also get confused by all the different steps - update, backup, clear this, clear that, install this, then update with that... I know, it can't be that complicated but I'm easily ditractac....

Oh look, a butterfly!

As I was saying, when you spread the peanut butter over the toast you could have added the honey first, thereby eliminating the danger or bread-breakage and...
Interested in a custom Boot Animation for your ROM? Contact me! Want to incorporate one of my stand-alone Boot animation? Contact me!
][ Frosty-Boot [v.Clean, v.ACER & v.Full]
][ Android [GEARS]
][ Xoom-Port [Xacer]
kjy2010 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaRascal View Post
Of course the naming convention is only confusing if you're going off the rails with your tab - those of us who just leave them stock and install OTA's don't particularly care or pay attention to the update names.

Buy tablet > use tablet > get incremental > use tablet > get 3.1 > use tablet > get incremental > use tablet...

I'm waiting until the life cycle on this puppy nears its end before I do any ROM'ming. I'm a little paranoid that way but mostly I'm happy with vanilla. I also get confused by all the different steps - update, backup, clear this, clear that, install this, then update with that... I know, it can't be that complicated but I'm easily ditractac....

Oh look, a butterfly!

As I was saying, when you spread the peanut butter over the toast you could have added the honey first, thereby eliminating the danger or bread-breakage and...
Yeah bro, you best stick to OTA, you don't want to get too confused, and overtax yourself lol

dottat
Old
Thanks Meter 481
Now... if we could get custom rom devs to make a couple different versions we'd be in business too...

shurpa
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Please tell me where to get the kernel module tun.ko 2.6.36.3Hoeyillian-3.4 +