Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,265 Members 41,968 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Issue with 1.47.401.4 : often get "Limited Service" and hard to get signal back

Tip us?

~babel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Issue with 1.47.401.4 : often get "Limited Service" and hard to get signal back

Hi there,

Since 1.47.401.4 (and never before with 1.28.x), I'm experiencing issues with the radio, especially voice:

1/ I often get a "Limited Service" warning in places where I could easily get a decent signal to give a call.
2/ Each time I got the "Limited Service" warning, it can take ages before the signal gets back (after I moved to some other place).
3/ Sometimes, I need to reboot the terminal to get the voice signal back.

I did perform a full wipe (factory reset) on my phone and install the rom again (using the roms.zip method within the bootloader) but it didn't really solve this issue.

I also cleaned the sim card contacts, just in case, but this was useless.

I also chose "GSM auto (PRL)" in the phone settings, this helped a bit, but still this annoying issue remains.

If someone got a clue, I'm interested ! And if anyone is experiencing such weak/bad signal issue, I'm interested in your feedback.

Cheers.

Hboot: 098.002 S-ON
Radio: 20.28I.30.085 AU_3805.06.02.03_M

Vladislavb92
Old
(Last edited by Vladislavb92; 28th July 2011 at 09:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~babel View Post
Hi there,

Since 1.47.401.4 (and never before with 1.28.x), I'm experiencing issues with the radio, especially voice:

1/ I often get a "Limited Service" warning in places where I could easily get a decent signal to give a call.
2/ Each time I got the "Limited Service" warning, it can take ages before the signal gets back (after I moved to some other place).
3/ Sometimes, I need to reboot the terminal to get the voice signal back.

I did perform a full wipe (factory reset) on my phone and install the rom again (using the roms.zip method within the bootloader) but it didn't really solve this issue.

I also cleaned the sim card contacts, just in case, but this was useless.

I also chose "GSM auto (PRL)" in the phone settings, this helped a bit, but still this annoying issue remains.

If someone got a clue, I'm interested ! And if anyone is experiencing such weak/bad signal issue, I'm interested in your feedback.

Cheers.

Hboot: 098.002 S-ON
Radio: 20.28I.30.085 AU_3805.06.02.03_M
I have the same problem! 1.28.x was OK, bet the newest one in terms of receiving signals is just terrible!

~babel
Old
(Last edited by ~babel; 29th July 2011 at 06:22 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Hi, have you found any solution so far ?
HTC wants me to sent my phone back but I don't think this issue has something to do with the hardware...

ben_pyett
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1883
Quote:
HTC wants me to sent my phone back but I don't think this issue has something to do with the hardware...
In complete contrast to what you two are saying..(see my old thread where I had this problem with the older radios http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1133785)

I'm now running on the latest radio but not the latest ROM (as I use LBC MOD which is currently based on a 1.36 ROM) and I no longer experience this problem.

My conclusion being that the newest Radio is better.
Nexus 5 : hammerhead
Rom (Kernel): Mahdi-Rom 4.4.4 [v2.7 08/07/2014] (Franco [#r57]) root: [superSU v2.0]
Nexus 4 : mako
Rom (Kernel): AOKP_ROM 4.3.1 [#aokp_mako_jb-mr2_2013-11-14] (Franco [#r193-JWR])
Retired - HTC Desire S, HTC Touch Diamond 2, HTC Dual Touch, HTC TyTN, Innumerable NOKIAs

~babel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for your feedback.

Would you then say that the "Radio_20.28I.30.085 AU_3805.06.02.03_M" was the answer to your phone bad signal issues ? Then, I might need to use another rom an check if that helps...

Anyway, did you try to change/update phone/radio settings mode (__http__www_google_com_support_forum_p_android_th read_?tid=42655c79e5837499&hl=en) ?

ercm03
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I have this problem as well and have emailed HTC but received no reply yet.

Also sometimes it all looks okay and allows calls out but incoming calls go straight to voicemail.

~babel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Well, HTC will probable ask you to send your phone for repair.

Actually, this is what they've just replied to my email. But I won't send my phone for a simple flash that I could do my-self !

It seems this is a known issue of the HTC phones (there are plenty of such reports on the internet).

ben_pyett
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1883
Although this problem hasn't effected my calls on the latest radio version, I do agree that I've often seen what looks like severe signal fluctuations, from zero bars to full bars etc, I've also read about this being an issue on the incredible s

I'm hoping that further rom and radio upgrades will improve this.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App
Rom (Kernel): Mahdi-Rom 4.4.4 [v2.7 08/07/2014] (Franco [#r57]) root: [superSU v2.0]
Rom (Kernel): AOKP_ROM 4.3.1 [#aokp_mako_jb-mr2_2013-11-14] (Franco [#r193-JWR])
Retired - HTC Desire S, HTC Touch Diamond 2, HTC Dual Touch, HTC TyTN, Innumerable NOKIAs

~babel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
It seems that the "Limited Service" issue is caused by a signal loss (i.e. using the elevator for instance) that is never followed by an automatic "good signal" retrieval (i.e. after leaving the elevator and going to a place where signal is usually very good).

ben_pyett
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1883
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback.

Would you then say that the "Radio_20.28I.30.085 AU_3805.06.02.03_M" was the answer to your phone bad signal issues ? Then, I might need to use another rom an check if that helps...

Anyway, did you try to change/update phone/radio settings mode (__http__www_google_com_support_forum_p_android_th read_?tid=42655c79e5837499&hl=en) ?
I'm afraid that I don't understand what this question? could you PM me?

did it mean did I switch my phone to WCMDA only? if so the answer is NO, mine is set to Auto as around where I live and work there is reasonably good signal.