Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,867 Members 42,072 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q&A] Ubuntu on the Transformer (eMMC install)

Tip us?

bonesjones
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnetto View Post
I don't think you understand - WINE isn't just hard, it's physically impossible. WINE may be an option in the future when support for Windows 8 ARM edition is added, but that's years away and is irrelevant unless there's a Win8 ARM version of the program. (Which will only be the case for major programs, like Office and Acrobat Reader).

QEMU is only an option if the program can be run in a ridiculously slow/outdated environment. If you can run it in DOS or Win95 (I once saw someone running Win95 on a N900), then you may have a chance. If it needs something like WinXP it's not going to happen. I mean you can try, but IMO you'd be wasting your time.
If it's a closed source Linux x86 program and doesn't have a FOSS alternative (which would be rather unusual), QEMU may be an option since you won't need to emulate the X server, if you even need a GUI at all.

Here are your options:
  • Recompile the program for ARM Linux. This is only an option if you have access to the source code, which won't be the case for the 99.99% of commercial software.
  • Run in QEMU. Only applies to 90s era software.
  • Find a FOSS alternative. e.g. Use LibreOffice instead of Microsoft Office. FOSS programs have the source available, so you can recompile them for ARM (if the packages aren't in the repositories already).
  • Write one yourself. Not an option for most people, but if you understand how the protocols, etc. work and you really need it then it's a possibility.
  • Run the program on a remote x86 system and use VNC/RDP/etc. This requires constant, reliable and fast internet access (and will likely use a considerable amount of data. e.g. 200 MB/hr). Unfortunately, this isn't an option if you need to physically connect the transformer to the system, as I suspect you do.

I'm busy with exams right now, but in a month's time I may (unless I find something more interesting to do) experiment with emulation to see how far we can actually go in terms of x86 support. Don't expect anything though - I'll probably just prove that you can't run WinXP on the Transformer.

Oh, and before anyone starts asking about the Transformer 2 being able to, the key criteria is clock speed (not the no. of cores or the amount of RAM). The Tegra 4 (not 3, which the TF2 uses) chipset will apparently be capable of ~2 GHz. WinXP needs at least 233 MHz, so if we assume 10% efficiency (which is a very generous overestimate), then around then it may be an option.
The program i"m needing to run isn't special at all, it loads, downloads a database, you make your changes, save a file and upload it. Speed isn't an issue so long as it does load. I can send you a copy of the program i'm trying to emulate, and you tell me if you think it's even possible.
I do understand what you're saying and was already aware, but my understanding was that basic things should work under Qemu.

rdnetto
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesjones View Post
The program i"m needing to run isn't special at all, it loads, downloads a database, you make your changes, save a file and upload it. Speed isn't an issue so long as it does load. I can send you a copy of the program i'm trying to emulate, and you tell me if you think it's even possible.
I do understand what you're saying and was already aware, but my understanding was that basic things should work under Qemu.
The problem isn't the program itself, it's the OS. QEMU emulates an entire computer, so you need an OS to actually do anything. The OS will be unusable if the emulator is too slow, and extremely likely to crash.

mrmrmrmr
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
1. You can pull the existing UBT partition via nvflash, shrink it down, then use it as part of the nvflash script. If that sounds too hard, you could always backup everything to a (micro)SD card.
Everything on the Android ROM will be retained when switching between OSs after they're installed.
What do you mean by UBT partition ? And what is shrinking ?
I want to use my current Android installation without any change on the files so that my settings & programs on Android are retained.

Quote:

2. Yes. The above posters are wrong - CWM is retained for the current version of the dual boot script.

3. Yes - see the old thread by Jhinta on how to do this. However, i would advise against it - it's extremely slow (4 min boot time vs 20 sec boot time) and you'll miss out on the updates to the kernel, like hw accel and touchpad usage.
Ok, I will use the non-MicroSD solution which is described in this thread. I'm just afraid of losing my current Android settings & programs.
Please show me the correct way for this.

thx.

rdnetto
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrmrmr View Post
What do you mean by UBT partition ? And what is shrinking ?
I want to use my current Android installation without any change on the files so that my settings & programs on Android are retained.
The UBT partition stores user files and settings as well (I think). Applications are stored on a separate partition, but they aren't worth saving - once you sign in they all get automatically redownloaded, though if you're worried you might want to make a list of them first. I meant shrink the partition down since it will be smaller once some space is taken by the Ubuntu partition.

Since installing Ubuntu involves formatting and repartitioning the entire drive, it's easiest to backup your files and restore them later. I suggest doing a complete nvflash backup of all the partitions before you start, so that if you do lose something it can be easily recovered from the images. Note that the nvflash backup may skip the UBT partition by default, since it's usually the largest.
The Following User Says Thank You to rdnetto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lilstevie
Old
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1020

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
The UBT partition stores user files and settings as well (I think). Applications are stored on a separate partition, but they aren't worth saving - once you sign in they all get automatically redownloaded, though if you're worried you might want to make a list of them first. I meant shrink the partition down since it will be smaller once some space is taken by the Ubuntu partition.

Since installing Ubuntu involves formatting and repartitioning the entire drive, it's easiest to backup your files and restore them later. I suggest doing a complete nvflash backup of all the partitions before you start, so that if you do lose something it can be easily recovered from the images. Note that the nvflash backup may skip the UBT partition by default, since it's usually the largest.
that would be UDA that you mean there, UBT is added for ubuntu
The Following User Says Thank You to lilstevie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rdnetto
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
that would be UDA that you mean there, UBT is added for ubuntu
Oops, my bad. While I've got you, you wouldn't happen to have any ideas about that kernel panic I mentioned earlier, would you?

mrmrmrmr
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:

Thank you for the great explanation. But you advise only to use the partition with user data. However, I don't want to install Android from start. I would prefer to have 0-loss. (even the system files)

Isn't that possible ?

rdnetto
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrmrmr View Post
Thank you for the great explanation. But you advise only to use the partition with user data. However, I don't want to install Android from start. I would prefer to have 0-loss. (even the system files)

Isn't that possible ?
It is, but I don't see why you'd want to. You can achieve it by creating a full backup then overwriting some of the files with the ones from the flashkit (incl. linux.img, which has to be generated with abootimg), and resizing UDA to match the new layout.

IMO, there's no point in going through the effort of backing up the system files since they get overwritten anyway when you update to the latest version of Prime ROM/stock Android/etc. It's just additional work. If you want to avoid going through the configuration process that's covered by the settings, and existing applications are stored in a separate partition again, but I really don't see the point in preserving Android itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to rdnetto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

megacoolrock
Old
Thanks Meter 39
i need help with the wpa supplicant, ive tried to do this and i saw a guise for transformer ubuntu, but it was the wrong format, can anyone give me a sudo command or something that will work? the connection i have is a wep

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

mrmrmrmr
Old
(Last edited by mrmrmrmr; 22nd October 2011 at 09:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
It is, but I don't see why you'd want to. You can achieve it by creating a full backup then overwriting some of the files with the ones from the flashkit (incl. linux.img, which has to be generated with abootimg), and resizing UDA to match the new layout.

IMO, there's no point in going through the effort of backing up the system files since they get overwritten anyway when you update to the latest version of Prime ROM/stock Android/etc. It's just additional work. If you want to avoid going through the configuration process that's covered by the settings, and existing applications are stored in a separate partition again, but I really don't see the point in preserving Android itself.
thank you.
what is the tool to use for creating a full backup ? (is it nandroid or something else ?)
also, what shall I use for resizing the partition ?

I have :
system.img
data.img
cache.img
on my nandroid backup...