[Q&A] Ubuntu on the Transformer (eMMC install)

OP lilstevie

5th November 2011, 12:07 PM   |  #1151  
Thanks Meter: 87

1,944 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrmrmr

so, if I understood correct;

in Android, MAC address from Tegra chip is used.
in Ubuntu, MAC address directly from BCM4329 is used.

is that right ?

edit: I just realized that using Android bootloader (linux.zip on Recovery) is also changing my MAC address (to a 3rd one) on the Android as well.
why is that ? how can I prevent that ?

I'd appreciate if anyone could answer. I'm worried about this...
5th November 2011, 01:00 PM   |  #1152  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,032

1,332 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrmrmr

I'd appreciate if anyone could answer. I'm worried about this...

no, the hardware sets a random mac address from nvram.txt, when you boot android the daemon runs that injects the wifi mac from the fuses.
5th November 2011, 02:18 PM   |  #1153  
Flag Catania
Thanks Meter: 2

119 posts
about 1 month ago I installed Ubuntu in dual boot with Android on my TF, but I noticed that in this way the recovery is inaccessible, so if I wanted to update the Android ROM, or install a kernel, I can not do ... Ubuntu also not able to run the wifi, so I could not connect to the network ... Now there is news? or maybe a way to be able to connect to wifi with ubuntu?
5th November 2011, 04:18 PM   |  #1154  
Thanks Meter: 59

206 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLar19

about 1 month ago I installed Ubuntu in dual boot with Android on my TF, but I noticed that in this way the recovery is inaccessible, so if I wanted to update the Android ROM, or install a kernel, I can not do ... Ubuntu also not able to run the wifi, so I could not connect to the network ... Now there is news? or maybe a way to be able to connect to wifi with ubuntu?

You can restore your CWM Recovery by following the directions in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1237772

You could connect to WiFi with the first release, but it was tricky. I believe the new links lilstevie posted have the GUI (network manager) fixed, but I haven't tested yet.
5th November 2011, 04:56 PM   |  #1155  
Flag Shanghai
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
More
@lilstevie, thank you for your good job first, as i'm a new user of Ubuntu , could you advise me some thing to run Ubuntu well:
1. i want run only ubuntu , and all the MMC disk for ubuntu , how to make partitions ?
2. your new updated rootfs already with new kernel ..touchpad .wifi .sound ..working ?
thank you again
5th November 2011, 05:15 PM   |  #1156  
Thanks Meter: 354

569 posts
Recovery
I suppose that it would be relatively easy to write a linux script that would take a dd backup of p5, dd a recovery image to p5 and repackage the kernel taken from d5 in a cwm flashable zip.

That way we could have lilstevie's dual boot arrangement and have cwm when needed without having to connect to a computer.

Then one could boot into cwm, flash an android update, flash the backed-up kernel, and carry on as before.
5th November 2011, 05:29 PM   |  #1157  
Thanks Meter: 97

317 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky9915

@lilstevie, thank you for your good job first, as i'm a new user of Ubuntu , could you advise me some thing to run Ubuntu well:
1. i want run only ubuntu , and all the MMC disk for ubuntu , how to make partitions ?
2. your new updated rootfs already with new kernel ..touchpad .wifi .sound ..working ?
thank you again

You don't have to worry about partitioning, the script will handle it. I'd suggest waiting a little while for someone to post a guide, since the new script is a bit more complex.

Things the kernel supports:
-touchpad
-sound (headphones only)
-wifi
+ others
(I haven't actually used the kernel in the flashkit yet, but they were working in a previous version so I'm almost certain they're working in this one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg725

I suppose that it would be relatively easy to write a linux script that would take a dd backup of p5, dd a recovery image to p5 and repackage the kernel taken from d5 in a cwm flashable zip.

That way we could have lilstevie's dual boot arrangement and have cwm when needed without having to connect to a computer.

Then one could boot into cwm, flash an android update, flash the backed-up kernel, and carry on as before.

Creating a new CWM zip isn't hard at all - creating bootloaders from kernel files has been working for the better part of a year. As a general rule though it's a bad idea to copy the kernel from p5 though, due to the chance of corruption. It's safer to simply write a known good copy each time.
Aside from that, most of the people on dual boot are using non-stock ROMs, so we don't have to worry about Android updates cause we always to do those manually anyway. (And making a CWM zip from the nvflash versions of those is easy).
The Following User Says Thank You to rdnetto For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2011, 08:14 PM   |  #1158  
Flag Shanghai

3 posts
More
@rdnetto, thank you for your help . i wanna try to do with new script, now beside touchpad,sound,camera and ubuntu disk size everything goes well with ubuntu.
BTW, how to install the Flash player ?i tried to do it on Adobe with ubuntu soft center ,but it shows no sources ....
5th November 2011, 09:20 PM   |  #1159  
Thanks Meter: 354

569 posts
Wiki progress
Now that the files are there I have played around a bit. Read through the install scripts, tried them out (not every single option though), and rewritten the wiki page.

The two dual boot options seem to be identical except for where the kernels get placed. However, the ubuntu as default option never did succeed in booting, it was often giving me rapid boot loops. Android would boot though.

The android as default option seems to work fine. Touchpad ok, wifi was scanning with the GUI, I didn't try to connect.

I tried the linux only, asus boot option and it didn't get very far. Investigation revealed that it wanted a recovery.img I didn't test furthur than that.

Great work guys! Thanks a bunch.
5th November 2011, 09:29 PM   |  #1160  

15 posts
Hey. So I installed the dual-boot on my Asus Transformer.
I selected Android as the Default OS. I put the prime images in the images folder. I have booted into Android and booted into Ubuntu by pressing Volume Up during boot up.

Whenever I boot into "recovery" it takes me to ubuntu. Is this normal? What is "recovery"?

I can't seem to be able to boot back into android now. It just always boots into Ubuntu.

(irrelevant)What is the best way to overclock my CPU? To speed up linux.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread