5,598,779 Members 34,244 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q&A] Ubuntu on the Transformer (eMMC install)

Tip us?

canedha
Old
Thanks Meter 5
hi,

first thanx for this awesome program. it works like a charm.

but i have some problems switching between the OSs. when i boot prime and press long the power button i have only the options restart, recovery and cancel.
for restart it is booting android again and when i press recovery it seems that it recovers the second partition and therefore writing ubuntu into the first bootloader section as well?

so how to switch OSs? is there a way to just shut down prime (just long press power doesnt work) so that i can power+vol_down into recovery mode booting ubuntu?
or what do i have to press when for example if it also works when using the restarting option?

i'm sure that just some stupid thing but i cant figure it out by myself ^^

i also found on the prime 1.7 thread a zip including the missing shutdown option but how to install this without cwm that not there because of ubuntu?

thx in advance for all help!

rdnetto
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by canedha View Post
hi,

first thanx for this awesome program. it works like a charm.

but i have some problems switching between the OSs. when i boot prime and press long the power button i have only the options restart, recovery and cancel.
for restart it is booting android again and when i press recovery it seems that it recovers the second partition and therefore writing ubuntu into the first bootloader section as well?

so how to switch OSs? is there a way to just shut down prime (just long press power doesnt work) so that i can power+vol_down into recovery mode booting ubuntu?
or what do i have to press when for example if it also works when using the restarting option?

i'm sure that just some stupid thing but i cant figure it out by myself ^^

i also found on the prime 1.7 thread a zip including the missing shutdown option but how to install this without cwm that not there because of ubuntu?

thx in advance for all help!
OLife has an option to restore CWM (it's under Advanced) which you can use to install the patch for the shutdown option.
The Following User Says Thank You to rdnetto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

canedha
Old
Thanks Meter 5
hi there,

another question of a linux noob. ^^
i'm running ubuntu 11.10 in dualboot mode with android.

i found out that dropbox is not working under an arm based ubuntu but i would need to have access to the files in my dropboxfolder under ubuntu...
therefore i thought about syncing my files in android and then accessing them in ubuntu.

how do i get access to the data stored in the android partition when running ubuntu?
i think i have to mount the partition, but which one?
can anyone tell me the command line for that?

thx canedha

rdnetto
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
hi there,

i found out that dropbox is not working under an arm based ubuntu but i would need to have access to the files in my dropboxfolder under ubuntu...
therefore i thought about syncing my files in android and then accessing them in ubuntu.

how do i get access to the data stored in the android partition when running ubuntu?

thx canedha
If 'apt-get nautilus-dropbox' doesn't work for you, you could try compiling the source (available on the Dropbox website). Alternatively, you can mount it like planned (see below).

I believe the partition is /dev/mmcblk0p7 (check the wiki). The command to mount it is 'sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p7 /media/Android_Data' (presuming you've created a folder at the mount point). Alternatively, you can add the entry to /etc/fstab to have it mounted at boot.

I would like to point out that if you are using Unity, then you can just click on the corresponding media card icon on the Unity bar and it will automatically mount it.
The Following User Says Thank You to rdnetto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

*Detection*
Old
Thanks Meter 464
@ lilstevie

Is this video using one of your ROMs ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUkCScxGUm8

Just wondering how back in July this looks like a moderately working Ubuntu on TF101 but looking at the Wiki and reading your thread it sounds like your current version is still very much not for mainstream, am I missing something ?

Cheers

rdnetto
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Detection* View Post
@ lilstevie

Is this video using one of your ROMs ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUkCScxGUm8

Just wondering how back in July this looks like a moderately working Ubuntu on TF101 but looking at the Wiki and reading your thread it sounds like your current version is still very much not for mainstream, am I missing something ?

Cheers
That was Jhinta's ROM, which was the predecessor of the current ROM by lilstevie. Everything shown working in the video works (plus what's listed in the wiki), and it will be faster (in the video he's running it from the microSD, which is much slower than the emmc).

If you consider the July version to be 'moderately working', you'll have no problems with the current version. The release is not for mainstream use because some stuff (hw accel) doesn't work and some things (putting it into suspend [disable this or you won't be able to close the screen]) cause it to crash, and there's not yet a decent GUI to install it with. That said, most people who are comfortable with Linux shouldn't have too much trouble using it.

*Detection*
Old
Thanks Meter 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnetto View Post
That was Jhinta's ROM, which was the predecessor of the current ROM by lilstevie. Everything shown working in the video works (plus what's listed in the wiki), and it will be faster (in the video he's running it from the microSD, which is much slower than the emmc).

If you consider the July version to be 'moderately working', you'll have no problems with the current version. The release is not for mainstream use because some stuff (hw accel) doesn't work and some things (putting it into suspend [disable this or you won't be able to close the screen]) cause it to crash, and there's not yet a decent GUI to install it with. That said, most people who are comfortable with Linux shouldn't have too much trouble using it.
Thanks for that, yea I was wanting to give this current version a run, but was under the impression it was at a less working stage than this video - until I found this video and wondered how that was even possible.

H/W Accel is important but can live without it for testing purposes, and the dualboot option is great too

Thanks for the reply, its given me a good insight into where we are at with this release
The Following User Says Thank You to *Detection* For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blk_jack
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3887
Quote:
hi there,

thx canedha
What I do is access my dropbox files from the web ui. Not a solution to getting the linux app itself working, but a decent work around.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium
Samsung SGH-I337M - Slim Bean 4.3
HTC Vision - Andromadus Slim Bean 4.2.2

Come join us on IRC:
#slimusers/#mimicry on freenode

yalkowni
Old
Thanks Meter 551

DONATE TO ME
Is there any way to get a scroll down gesture on the touchpad?

canedha
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_jack View Post
What I do is access my dropbox files from the web ui. Not a solution to getting the linux app itself working, but a decent work around.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium
i'm syncing my files in android now (with drop sync) and then access them in ubuntu.
thx for all your help!

but i have another question just 4 my understanding.
the bootloader has two "partitions" the primary and recovery. right now the recovery in my case is used by ubuntu. so if i want to use cwm i have to use the olife script, which is able to temporarily switch the recovery part of the bootloader to cwm and then back?
when i decide to go with another rom e.g. revolver, if i want to test the ics (later this year ) or if i want to update android or ubuntu, then i just have to flash these roms with nvflash to the primary partition? or will there be a problem because of the second partition? e.g. woudl i have to reflash ubuntu as well when updating android?

thx in advance,
canedha