Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q&A] Ubuntu on the Transformer (eMMC install)

OP lilstevie

3rd September 2011, 06:57 PM   |  #551  
Flag Braga
Thanks Meter: 30

58 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by residentorca

I'm assuming that the backup for dual-boot systems will require 16GB for the 16GB TF model. If you dumped the contents of the windows-flash-kit into the Asus Sync program folder as recommended, you should have at least 16GB free on that drive as that's where the backup will go.

I don't have enough free space on my Win7 primary SSD drive where Asus Sync is installed so will therefore try putting the contents of the windows-flash-kit into the platform-tools folder under android-sdk-windows, which is on a larger secondary HDD, and run the backup script from there.

That will depend on what kind of backup u do... the rom files are ~0,5GB, the ubuntu files ~4GB and media it will depend on what u have on your android...
The Following User Says Thank You to cuckoopt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd September 2011, 07:06 PM   |  #552  
Flag Debrecen
Thanks Meter: 363

683 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie

I am putting together a build for release later a kind of "Technical Preview" if you will of oneiric. This build is not dual-boot, features acceleration to some extent, and u-boot.

If your problem is with U-Boot to get it to dual-boot, I think I can help with it. But we will need button drivers for that (atleast GPIO-calls of it to be included in the u-boot boardconfig), and some more stuff. I think it would be pretty to go with a touchscreen enabled u-boot, and use a UI on boot to select which OS you want (currently, Android, Ubuntu, maybe MeeGo). That gives me an idea, u-boot is capable of making a basic linux setup as recovery/system management, and we could even manage to create our own partition layout on the device itself before loading the images (ofc this will need a totally unlocked partition layout, your blobsbegone should do it I think). U-Boot is capable of a lot of things
3rd September 2011, 11:01 PM   |  #553  
Thanks Meter: 97

317 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzano

Really want this device but want my warrenty and want it brand-new not second hand so if this is true and viable I'd rather have new

Using nvflash is pretty much guaranteed to void the terms of the warranty. (I haven't actually read it but I doubt it would allow it.) If need to make a claim I suggest using nvflash to restore it to the stock firmware before sending it in.

I'm not sure what NZ law is like, but many countries have statutes which prevent manufacturers from refusing to honour warranties for unrelated modifications. e.g. Asus could refuse claims relating to software, but if the screen breaks or whatever then they should still honour it.
4th September 2011, 01:34 AM   |  #554  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 438

2,888 posts
More
Ok so this procedure does not touch the kernel?

So I could use clemsyn/blade's 13 with prime and Ubuntu?

Also I won't be returning it for software faults it would only be hardware say a screen defect etc and flash to stock before handing in

Sent from my GT540RR using XDA App
4th September 2011, 01:37 AM   |  #555  
Flag Braga

58 posts
More
Quote:

So I could use clemsyn/blade's 13 with prime and Ubuntu?

Also I won't be returning it for software faults it would only be hardware say a screen defect etc and flash to stock before handing in

u can run prime with clemsyn/blade's 13, but not ubuntu
4th September 2011, 02:46 AM   |  #556  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 438

2,888 posts
More
Ok I just found the tf I'm looking for I think

Model number TF-1b1800a

Is this pre b70?
This is the model I want right?

Also is there anyway we could find away to have the o/c kernel with dual boot or is it impossible?

Update just confirmed its a B60 gonna put it on hold at store buy next week or so

Last edited by Danzano; 4th September 2011 at 04:22 AM.
4th September 2011, 03:21 AM   |  #557  
Thanks Meter: 0

20 posts
Flash
I downloaded the libflashplayer.so file, im just wondering if anybody has had any success getting flash to work on Ubuntu, everything else works, so flash is just the missing component at the moment...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also tried the opensource alternatives literally no joy with those at all.

Thanks!
4th September 2011, 03:41 AM   |  #558  
Flag Braga

58 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextract

I downloaded the libflashplayer.so file, im just wondering if anybody has had any success getting flash to work on Ubuntu, everything else works, so flash is just the missing component at the moment...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also tried the opensource alternatives literally no joy with those at all.

Thanks!

My personal advice is just for u to wait... a few more days (i hope so) and an update will be released... so... just wait... i think that this new update will come with a bunch of new comparabilities and accelerations...
4th September 2011, 04:38 AM   |  #559  
Thanks Meter: 0

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoopt

My personal advice is just for u to wait... a few more days (i hope so) and an update will be released... so... just wait... i think that this new update will come with a bunch of new comparabilities and accelerations...

ok great, will do and btw i have a B70 and i have no problems with nvflash im not sure what all this stuff about nvflash being broken on B70's is I have two and i have flashed them both without an issue....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App
4th September 2011, 04:40 AM   |  #560  
Thanks Meter: 97

317 posts
Quote:

As I understand it, all the methods so far swap out the kernel when changing the bootloader. Ubuntu doesn't work with a regular Android kernel.

Quote:

Also is there anyway we could find away to have the o/c kernel with dual boot or is it impossible?

Dual boot has already been achieved, though it's kinda clunky compared to the uboot solution that's being worked on.

OC can be done under Android, since there are Android kernels for that. The Ubuntu kernel doesn't support it right now, and AFAIK no-one is working on it - wifi, hardware acceleration, etc. are more important

Quote:

Model number TF-1b1800a

Is this pre b70?
This is the model I want right?

You need to look at the serial number. It will begin with B70 or whatever the revision is. The serial number is printed on a sticker near the propriety connector.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread