[MOD] Re-Mapping Keys (Genius Button to Search - www/com button to TAB) and more..
Thanks to 21productionz
, and his re-mapping of the Genius button on the MT4G, I was able to re-map the keys on the MT4G Slide as well.
Pls read through before attempting.
What you need:
An S-OFF and perm rooted MT4G Slide. (so re-map sticks)
A file explorer capable of read/writing root directories/files. (Root Explorer is my personal fav)
The expectation that this is a guide to re-mapping keys, so don't mess up.
Steps to take:
1. Using Root Explorer, go to /system/usr/keylayout
2. Make sure Root Explorer is mounted as R/W.
(top right button should display Mount R/O, bc you are currently in R/W mode)
3. Long press 'doubleshot-keypad.kl'
4. Select 'Open in Text Editor'
5. Line 5 shows 'key 188' with FUNC_4 next to it. Replace FUNC_4 with 'SEARCH' - all caps.
This re-maps the Genius button on the front of the phone.
6. Scroll down a little and you will see # column 3. 'Key 184' needs to be changed from FUNC_4 to "SEARCH" as well.
This re-maps the Genius button on the qwerty keyboard. (now you can actually use quick launch)
7. Hit the hard menu key and select Save Changes or Save and Exit.
8. Root Explorer will automatically create a backup of the original file you edited with the original file name ending with the extension .bak
9. Need to restart before it takes effect.
Pls be sure you have re-mapped the correct keys and entered 'SEARCH' correctly, or your buttons could fail, resulting in a paperweight - with a keyboard.
Also, I did this without
You can also reverse the re-map by replacing 'SEARCH' back to FUNC_4.
Some users have changed the qwerty home, menu, back, and genius buttons to DPAD values, in other words, up down left right..
-to do so, see this thread here
Some other useful info and re-maps.
FUNC_1 = inputs ".com"
using alt while pressing the key you remapped to FUNC_1 results in ".www"
FUNC_2 = is equivalent to pressing the SYM key next to ALT-Right.
FUNC_4 = Genius Button App
To create a 'tab' button in place of www.com
Same file to edit. under # column 0
---- key 150 should say = FUNC_1
make key 150 = "TAB" (all caps, no quotes, make sure spacing stays even)