Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Has anyone received a throttling notifications?

OP chromiumcloud

30th July 2011, 10:20 PM   |  #1  
chromiumcloud's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
158 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
I'm relatively new to the T-bolt forums (coming from Nexus one), so apologies if I missed this somewhere:

Has anyone received a throttling notification from Verizon? If so, does it come via text, email, snail mail or do they just all of a sudden start slowing you down?

Also, does anyone know if any of the current roms have any work arounds in the system files to overcome Verizon's limitations?

U can PM me if you do not want to post in public.

Much appreciated!!!
-CC
30th July 2011, 10:23 PM   |  #2  
voxigenboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 179
 
1,580 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromiumcloud

I'm relatively new to the T-bolt forums (coming from Nexus one), so apologies if I missed this somewhere:

Has anyone received a throttling notification from Verizon? If so, does it come via text, email, snail mail or do they just all of a sudden start slowing you down?

Also, does anyone know if any of the current roms have any work arounds in the system files to overcome Verizon's limitations?

U can PM me if you do not want to post in public.

Much appreciated!!!
-CC

i heard about verizon screwing over iphone users with that facetime feature, but i didn't know they were already starting with everyone on unlimited data�
30th July 2011, 10:27 PM   |  #3  
Danmn1313's Avatar
Member
Illinois
Thanks Meter: 6
 
51 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
I've never been throttled but I'm not a huge data user (8-9GB a month.)

I've heard people talk about using over 80GB a month here and their speeds stay the same but this was in the past before tiered data, so I guess only time will tell what happens.
30th July 2011, 10:30 PM   |  #4  
00negative's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 151
 
555 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromiumcloud

I'm relatively new to the T-bolt forums (coming from Nexus one), so apologies if I missed this somewhere:

Has anyone received a throttling notification from Verizon? If so, does it come via text, email, snail mail or do they just all of a sudden start slowing you down?

Also, does anyone know if any of the current roms have any work arounds in the system files to overcome Verizon's limitations?

U can PM me if you do not want to post in public.

Much appreciated!!!
-CC

I think they just slow you down if your in top 5% of data users and you have consumed so much data in one pay period. They just slow your connection down, don't think you get warning or notification of any kind. But could be wrong.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using XDA Premium App
30th July 2011, 10:41 PM   |  #5  
chromiumcloud's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
158 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmn1313

I've never been throttled but I'm not a huge data user (8-9GB a month.)

I've heard people talk about using over 80GB a month here and their speeds stay the same but this was in the past before tiered data, so I guess only time will tell what happens.

Thanks for all the prompt replies everyone; the dev community here is incredible active.

I used 8-9 GB/month over 3G on AT&T... so given the much faster speeds of LTE, I'm a little worried what Verizon has planned given my data usage.

Are any of the rom builds using the somali system hack?

Anyone who has been throttled, how slow have you been crippled?

All this throttling talk is making me reluctant to give up my AT&T contract, just in case the T-bolt become a paperweight on Verizon's restrictions.

Thanks,
-CC
31st July 2011, 08:39 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
You aren't on verizon yet? If you aren't, you shouldn't really be concerned with throttling unless you plan on paying the overage charges.
31st July 2011, 09:53 AM   |  #7  
Member
Flag Lexington
Thanks Meter: 2
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Verizon doesn't throttle general users. Occasionally a user will get flagged and throttled down to very limited bandwidth. They will be contacted by phone and if unreachable, then by letter. Say for instance you jump from 4 or 5 GB a month to 20 GB in a day. I don't know the exact numbers, just seen it happen. Its done by the fraud department until they can speak with you.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbydiv For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st July 2011, 07:23 PM   |  #8  
chromiumcloud's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
158 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydiv

Verizon doesn't throttle general users. Occasionally a user will get flagged and throttled down to very limited bandwidth. They will be contacted by phone and if unreachable, then by letter. Say for instance you jump from 4 or 5 GB a month to 20 GB in a day. I don't know the exact numbers, just seen it happen. Its done by the fraud department until they can speak with you.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated.

@revaew I use both phones for now. A pain, but I want the next nexus for development and have no idea what network its going to land on.
31st July 2011, 11:01 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Flag Mechanicsburg
Thanks Meter: 10
 
244 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
Don't worry about 10gs tell me when you hit 60

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App
1st August 2011, 01:02 PM   |  #10  
Account currently disabled
Flag Freehold
Thanks Meter: 4
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
Unless you plan on replacing your home internet connection with your phone, don't worry. More than likely you'll "feel" the effects of throttling before any type of notification.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
data limits, throttling, thunderbolt, verizon
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes