5,603,981 Members 44,892 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Themes] [Sense 3.0] [QHD] Default HTC Themes w/ Fixed NavBar

Tip us?

binarybulge
Old
(Last edited by binarybulge; 31st July 2011 at 07:57 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101

DONATE TO ME
Smile [Themes] [Sense 3.0] [QHD] Default HTC Themes w/ Fixed NavBar

One of my bigger WTF moments when I started using Sensation/Sense 3.0 was the home screen's NavBar. It looked like crap. To most people it's evident why: it's jaggy and non-transparent. It doesn't look nearly like how it was intended to look. Want proof? Go into the skin browser and look at the previews for skins like HTC and Blue Sky... even in the preview window, the NavBar looks quite different.

I looked around for a fix, but I didn't find anything that adequately addressed the issue, in my opinion. A lot of people have figured out ways to force the NavBar to be transparent. This kind of works, but it doesn't fix the jagged edges and poor quality of the original image.

So I went to work on my own. I first noticed that the lock screen has a PERFECT NavBar image. THAT'S how it should look on the home screen. After a bit of hacking and learning how Sense 3.0 themes work, I figured out how to get that perfect lock screen image showing up on the home screen.

The fruit of my efforts so far is located at:
http://binarybulge.com/android/skins/sense3/sensation

You can download and install the APK's directly, then load them using the built-in skin chooser. Keep in mind these are Sense 3.0 QHD only. If you don't have a QHD (960x540) Sense 3.0 device, like Sensation or Evo 3D, don't bother.

I've also included a /notes folder describing exactly how I fixed the issue. This is only for general curiosity. YOU DON'T NEED TO LOOK THERE TO BE ABLE TO INSTALL THE THEMES. It could, however, help someone fix the skins for lower resolution devices (like 800x480).

Finally, I made the status bar jet black, because that's the way I want it. If you don't like it that way, feel free to insert your own status bar image. It's in the APKs' res/drawable-hdpi folders as statusbar_background.png.

Here's how it looked before (as seen in the stock Blue Sky skin):

Here's how it looks in my fixed bluesky.apk:

Better, no? Now we don't have to wait for HTC to fix it. :)
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to binarybulge For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

binarybulge
Old
(Last edited by binarybulge; 31st July 2011 at 04:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101

DONATE TO ME
Change Log

1.0 (7/31/2011):
- added BlueSky, Burgundy skins

Coming Soon

- fixed default/HTC skin (need to track down all images from various APK's in the framework to make an external skin file... blech)
- other skins from HTC hub?
The Following User Says Thank You to binarybulge For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vincepg13
Old
(Last edited by vincepg13; 31st July 2011 at 05:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 136
Nice man! I use the green skin from HTC hub, if you could fix that up would be great

Edit: its called spaceship Earth

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA App

jjoeshua
Old
Thanks Meter 1
nice! thx for sharing!

binarybulge
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincepg13 View Post
Nice man! I use the green skin from HTC hub, if you could fix that up would be great

Edit: its called spaceship Earth
Unfortunately until the m10tools guys can decipher the new image type (14) used in that Skin, I can't really get anywhere with it. :-/

vincepg13
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybulge View Post
Unfortunately until the m10tools guys can decipher the new image type (14) used in that Skin, I can't really get anywhere with it. :-/
Oooh ok pal no problem because thinking about it the navbar looks good as it is, because of the greeness the jaggedness is not that noticable

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA App

yonatan5757
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You are a GOD amongst Men.

It Bugged me too!
Thank you so much

platinumandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 303
Looks much better,thanks!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA Premium App

nicky041192
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Can anyone put the original notification bar back?

Also, you should change the navbars from the stock skins and add in the straight navbars

binarybulge
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky041192 View Post
Can anyone put the original notification bar back?

Also, you should change the navbars from the stock skins and add in the straight navbars
Thanks Nicky, maybe I'll add some variants, at least for the notification bar(s). I initially wanted to keep the scope of this thread/project narrow (just fixing what I saw as problems with the stock skins), but I think I can throw you a bone. ;-D

Can you give me an example of a straight navbar? I've seen some custom skins w/ them so I assume that's what you're talking about, but I wanted to make sure. Again, I'm not sure I want to stray too far from stock.