How does it work?
Currently the SettingsExporter
is basically a registry parser reading thru one (or more) of three config files (keys_....ini) in which the user puts keys/values that are supposed to be backed-up. For each line which is recognized as a registry value the program tries to gather it from the registry and writes to a (specified) text file as Microsoft Registry Entries (.reg) syntax. If the line is not recognized as a correct registry key/value or if it does not exist in the device’s registry, it is simply ignored.
Following the tip from Jackos
(thanks Man!) there can be three config (.ini) files:
The user can choose to process one, two or all three .ini files. He can also choose if all the entries from the checked .ini files should be stored in one .reg file or the program should create one .reg file for each .ini file. This way we can divide our backup into groups and then restore them on different ROM (e.g. with different version of UI).
The main screen of the program consists of 5 main elements:
- “Current file path” text box
with current path and name of the destination file. The path is initially set to \Storage Card\Backup\MyBackup.reg, but it can be changed either directly in this text box or using “Change File Name” button which opens the SaveFileDialog allowing you to choose a location and name for your destination file. Unfortunately the native .NetCF SaveFileDialog is poor and allows only to save in 2 folders depths, so this is the reason why I left the text box unlocked to allow manual editing of the path. Additionally when closing SettingsExporter saves last used path in registry so when you open it for the second time the initial path will be “yours”. This feature can be switched off in options.
- 3 checkboxes
allowing you to choose which .ini files the app should process
- Save File button
starting the Backup procedure
- Menu softkey
allowing you to change the program options
- Exit softkey
that (surprisingly) closes the application.
The Options screen (you can open it via Menu -> Options) is also very simple:
- Save all settings in one file
– when you tap “Save File” all the .ini files which are “checked” in the main window will be processed and the effect will be saved in one file mentioned in the “Current file path” text box in the main window.
- Save in separate files
– the “checked” .ini files will be processed but this time the effects will be stored in separate files. There will be separate destination files created basing on the same file name from the “Current file path” text box, but with appropriate suffix, so using the default MyBackup.reg file name, the destination files will be MyBackup_System.reg, MyBackup_Manila.reg, MyBackup_Other.reg.
- Backup previous output files
– if any of the output (destination) files already exists it will be copied with “_old” suffix before writing new file.
- Associate Reg Files to fdcTM
– this button associates the files with .reg extension to the fdcTaskManager which is located by default in the program directory. From this point on you can tap on a .reg file in File Explorer and it will be automatically imported to the registry. Use this function to easily restore your .reg files.
- Save last backup path
– this option enables saving last used backup (destination) path upon program exit. Remember – the path is written to registry when you close the program. So if you configured the .ini file to store also SettingsExporter’s settings (stored in HKCU\Software\Skrobel\SettingsExporter) and you want to backup also this setting, you have to set the file path in the Main Window, then Exit the program (to write the path to registry) then open the program again and now you can press “Save File”.