5,596,431 Members 40,084 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[CM7][OMFGB]Software GPS Fix | V1.5.1 - 9/25/11 | Keep the (GPS) lights on!

Tip us?

strictlyrude27
Old
(Last edited by strictlyrude27; 4th August 2011 at 08:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellrb19 View Post
Just installed 1.3 and getting 0 in view with gps test and no lock. An hour after installing it gps would not show up as actively searching in notification even after toggling setting in menu and checking permissions (which appear correctly). I am on glitch, so will flash latest nightly and try with stock kernel and gpsd.

I also performed the instructions in original thread and had occasional locks. Thanks for this, progress is made every day with gps. Will report back after update.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Premium App
Try 1.3.1. That has fixed permissions for long term orbital data. After reboot, I get 6 used/13 in view after 5 seconds, 130ft accuracy. [EDIT: and on reboot, nothing in sight.. and on reboot AGAIN, 6/13 with 130ft accuracy.] I need more confirmation that this works though.

If that doesn't work, try this at a terminal:

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
rm /etc/init.d/90getgps_lto
rm /data/gps/lto.dat
mount -o ro,remount /system
reboot
This will remove long term orbital data entirely. I wonder how this will perform along with no agpsd.

jad3675
Old
Thanks Meter 19
GPS Aids (v2) from the Market will also inject LTO data; might be worthwhile to give that a try.

John

Mannymal
Old
Thanks Meter 33
No joy on the fix. Just like following the instructions on the other thread, it did nothing, and might have introduced the Android System battery leak related to GPS, will have to wait longer but so far Android System is the biggest drainer since installing this.

Will download the one with LTO to see if that helps.

strictlyrude27
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannymal View Post
No joy on the fix. Just like following the instructions on the other thread, it did nothing, and might have introduced the Android System battery leak related to GPS, will have to wait longer but so far Android System is the biggest drainer since installing this.

Will download the one with LTO to see if that helps.
I'm in the same boat you are - GPS tends to drain the crap out of my battery. If you're a Tasker user, check my sig - I wrote a Tasker profile system that lets you load/unload the GPS driver. Alternatively, install Trigger Redux, since Roman included a GPS load/unload toggle in his tweaks as well.

elsocplayer
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Installed 1.3 and I finally get to say I have a usable gps lock since more than a month ago when I had bionix Rom installed. Thanx a lot for this zip and for ur work. I get 10meter accuracy and gps locks even on the move at 60mph. Can't get lock at some indoor places but I don't mind, I only use it when on the go anyway. Again, thanx!

Sent from SGS Vibrant w/CM7

OPTheory
Old
(Last edited by OPTheory; 5th August 2011 at 07:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Can anyone confirm that the fix lasts more than a day? In my experience it works great the first day, even if you toggle GPS on and off in between uses. But after a couple days the GPS icon doesn't even show up in the notification bar if you go into Maps or Angry GPS (of course, GPS is technically turned on). This is sort of remedied by a reboot, but even then the performance is nothing like it was after first applying the fix.

I'm curious... I know that this has to do with the software, but what if I applied this hardware fix? I think I'll try it, for science. I'm sure it won't hurt.

cdchris12
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Just want to say that if you do not have a CM7 rom, stay away from this. I just flashed Simply Honey 5.0b2, and this CWM zip directly after the mandatory reboot and sitting period. My GPS couldn't get a lock to save it's life. Not only that, but I couldn't roll back the changes even by replacing all the files changed by the CWM zip. I ended up ODIN'ing back to stock and starting my GB adventure all over again...

If anyone is interested, I did have AMAZING locks using the GPSD from this thread with Simply Honey 4.0. That's literally all I did was replace the GPSD file, with awesome results.

OPTheory
Old
(Last edited by OPTheory; 5th August 2011 at 08:35 AM.) Reason: clarification
Thanks Meter 4
Mmkay, for science:

Before: Just flashed 1.31, went out and stood on my porch, opened Angry GPS in Standalone mode, got 13 satellites in about 20 seconds and 4.5 meter accuracy.

That plastic cover was a nightmare to get off... Ok, the little contact has been moved up to make contact with the antenna on the panel. Put everything back together...

After: It was noticeably faster. It detected 1, then 13 satellites within 10 seconds and went down to 5 meter accuracy faster than before.

Yes, I know this isn't very scientific, but hey - it seemed to do something.
The Following User Says Thank You to OPTheory For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

strictlyrude27
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdchris12 View Post
Just want to say that if you do not have a CM7 rom, stay away from this. I just flashed Simply Honey 5.0b2, and this CWM zip directly after the mandatory reboot and sitting period. My GPS couldn't get a lock to save it's life. Not only that, but I couldn't roll back the changes even by replacing all the files changed by the CWM zip. I ended up ODIN'ing back to stock and starting my GB adventure all over again...
oops yeah, this is definitely for CM7-based ROMs only..

Quote:
If anyone is interested, I did have AMAZING locks using the GPSD from this thread with Simply Honey 4.0. That's literally all I did was replace the GPSD file, with awesome results.
That's the same gpsd as used in this fix! I might post just the gpsd file, but it's also packed in the script file, so I don't know how necessary that would be.

strictlyrude27
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTheory View Post
Mmkay, for science:

Before: Just flashed 1.31, went out and stood on my porch, opened Angry GPS in Standalone mode, got 13 satellites in about 20 seconds and 4.5 meter accuracy.

That plastic cover was a nightmare to get off... Ok, the little contact has been moved up to make contact with the antenna on the panel. Put everything back together...

After: It was noticeably faster. It detected 1, then 13 satellites within 10 seconds and went down to 5 meter accuracy faster than before.

Yes, I know this isn't very scientific, but hey - it seemed to do something.
Hardware fix is definitely worth it, as you've learned glad both fixes are helping out! I would like to know your results after a day of use though - it seems that some people have lots of luck immediately after flashing, but after 24 hours it doesn't work so well anymore (but a reflash makes it work again). I'm in the same boat as the aforementioned people.