5,600,919 Members 43,043 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Access SD card from another device

Tip us?

jhonnyx1000
Old
(Last edited by jhonnyx1000; 4th August 2011 at 10:51 AM.) Reason: Screenshot relocation
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84
Post Access SD card from another device

This thread shows how to channel your SD card through your wireless router, therefore making your SD card accessible from most devices (tested on PC, Android and iOS). Please note that your phone and the device must be connected to the same network.

1. Download and install File Expert (it's free) from the Android Market: https://market.android.com/details?i...ilexpert&hl=en.
2. Open File Expert and press the "Share" icon at the bottom of the screen.

3. Select "Enable WEB Sharing".

The IP and authentication info will be displayed. The URL (which is located in the third line) will be entered in the address bar of the browser in the other device. The username and password will also be required so please remember it ^_^

So on my phone it says "http://192.168.1.102:8080", so I type "http://192.168.1.102:8080" in the browser of another device.

Enter the password and done! You've accessed your phone's SD card from another device.

Please note:
1. This may not work on all devices, ranging from hosting the HTTP server to accessing the SD card from another device.
2. This may not work on all browsers as they may not have the specifications required to access the HTTP server.
3. The username/password can be changed in the File Expert settings or you can COMPLETELY disable any authentication.
3. The user and it's affiliates are NOT responsible for any damage caused physically and/or mentally

There are other apps in the Android Market that have the same function but I just use this. Suggestions are appreciated. Don't forget to 'Thank'
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to jhonnyx1000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ssethv
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Wow... this rocks.. thank you for this.... God, i love tech... I just sent out a tweet to all
mecha/ Iconia a500
ROM: Changes to Often
KERNEL: What works the best for the ROM I am using
If me or anyone else has been helpful, hit the thanks button

siezear
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Cheers - very useful - the app came as part of the Gingerburst ROM I installed from Droidzone, so don't even have to install it

Bcroc
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Hello!

This would be great, if it would work on my phone. Unfortunately it didn't. I tried it on an HTC Desire powered with MIUI, and after entering the URL in a browser of another android phone (and on a desktop comp), nothing happens. It may be a setting by me tho (probably on the router?), which I didn't find yet.

cheers!

slonn
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Works great. Excellent app!

narflynn619
Old
Thanks Meter 246
I have been using this File Manager App since I got my very first android phone. I don't know why people keep buying and recommending apps that work exactly the same way (or maybe even better for File Expert's case) but cost very high. Duh.

elosogrande7076
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Great find, thanks

husam212
Old
Thanks Meter 12
this also works using wifi tethering on the 1st mobile to create virtual hotspot and connect 2nd mobile to that hotspot

I tested that on 2 different cyanogenmod 7 devices
The Following User Says Thank You to husam212 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shinji257
Old
Thanks Meter 27
This is pretty slick. The current version also offers Bluetooth sharing support over OBEX FTP although that part is rather unstable on my laptop (crashes explorer for some reason). That isn't an issue with the app though. That's a known problem on my laptop that I don't know what's causing it.
Current: HTC One (Stock, Rooted, Unlocked, S-OFF HBOOT 1.56, Tampered flag removed)
Backup:
Samsung Captivate (CyanogenMod 11 Nightly)
Tablet: Nexus 7 (Rooted, TWRP Recovery (I think)) Android 4.4.2

Defunct: Samsung Galaxy S2 AT&T (CyanogenMod 11 Unofficial)

Thank god for having spare cell phones and custom roms that make them survive for a bit longer.

alex_hk90
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I just tried this out - it looks great and the web sharing is incredibly easy to use, thanks!

Tags
app, http, network, sd card, sharing