[GUIDE] T-Mobile G2 2.3.4 official OTA manual update
There still seem to be a few people with problems so I thought I'd try to collect the steps and add a bit more info:
- So far this is only confirmed to work on full stock 2.2. For the leaked 2.3.3 you'll need to downgrade first; see this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...root+downgrade
- The only confirmed root so far requires s-off BEFORE you follow this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1206930
- I have had no reports of anyone doing this with anything other than 100% stock recovery, hboot, etc. Please let me know if you do try and what happens; I'll update this post.
- Following this procedure will not wipe your apps or your data.
1. Download http://android.clients.google.com/pa...ase_197463.zip
and rename to update.zip. Turn off 'Hide extensions for known file types' and make sure it's not update.zip.zip!
2. To verify your download didn't get corrupted, check its md5sum. It should match 3c7b0c2253f72f86b06d2c85b2c8c294 (you can get a dos tool to do this here: http://etree.org/md5com.html
. Run cmd.exe and type md5sum.exe update.zip from a folder that contains both files) If your result doesn't match, download again.
3. Place update.zip on the root of your SD card, not in any folders.
4. Power down your phone.
5. Press and hold both VOLUME DOWN and POWER until you get a menu
6. You may not be able to navigate the menu yet. Wait for 10-15 seconds until it says it's checking some files, then automatically returns to the menu. Now you can use VOLUME UP/DOWN to choose menu options.
7. Choose Recovery from the menu by highlighting with VOLUME UP/DOWN and pressing POWER.
8. Wait until you get a picture of a phone with a red triangle and !
9. Press & hold VOLUME UP, wait one second, then also press POWER. You should get a menu with blue text.
10. You will see "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command" at the bottom of the screen. This is OK!
11. Again with VOLUME UP/DOWN and POWER, select "Apply sdcard:update.zip"
12. From this point, just wait until it tells you to reboot and choose that menu option. If you get any errors here, consult the troubleshooting below.
13. There are several more automatic reboots and wait screens to go. Be patient!
- "E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such filler or directory)" - your file isn't named update.zip! Reboot your phone and use Astro or another file manager to make sure you've got the name right.
- "E:failed to seek in /sdcard/update.zip (Invalid argument)" - your download probably got corrupted! Check the md5sum again, redownload, and try again!
- "assertfailed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys"" - you probably don't have the latest 2.2 that this update is designed to replace. You might be on 2.3.3 or possibly the original pre-wifi-calling 2.2. To fix this, downgrade from 2.3.3 or wait for the OTA to get the newer 2.2.