[2014.07.09] DSLR Controller v0.99.5 BETA

15th April 2012, 06:50 PM   |  #1641  
Thanks Meter: 0

115 posts
The USB cable I have is compatible wiith my Galaxy SII, so I doubt it's the cable (What with an Galaxy SII, Galaxy Note and an Asus Transformer - I am a tad bit spoilt!)

So on my SII the Media Scanner runs and I can see the content of a USBstick.

With the Note, no such luck, despite being on Ice Cream Sandwich. Looks like I'll have to roll back to Gingerbread.

But thanks for your help.

Cheers
16th April 2012, 01:55 AM   |  #1642  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 10

169 posts
More
Chainfire, the timelapse feature crashed the app tonight with my 5D II. When I clicked on the settings button and select the timelpase feature the timelapse setting screen appeared but crashed instantly.

HDR worked fine for me.

Edit: was using it with Asus Prime.

Update: Working fine now. Not sure what the problem was.
Last edited by TheZuneLune; 16th April 2012 at 04:10 PM.
16th April 2012, 03:36 AM   |  #1643  

6 posts
By all accounts, this should be working...

I found a chinese tablet (MID) running 2.3.1, not rooted, BUT it has a built-in OTG via full size USB port and it appears to be functional.

I can:
-use a mouse
-attach a CF reader and it mounts the card
-attach a USB thumb drive and it mounts

I can copy files, watch movies, etc... from the mounted devs,
but when I attach my Canon 7D, nothing happens. DSLR Controller doesn't pop up and when I run it manually, it says it cannot find any compatible device. My 7D firmware is 1.21, a bit old, but I didn't see any firmware notes that address a USB issue. Of course, when I plug my 7D into my PC, it recognizes the camera.

I am so close I can taste the HDR...

Thanks in advance!
16th April 2012, 07:59 AM   |  #1644  
Thanks Meter: 21

404 posts
More
Im sure this has already been discussed, but for the sake of not have to scroll through all of the pages, I will ask it.

Can you set auto bracketing for more than 3 bracketed shots?
Last edited by schwartzman93; 16th April 2012 at 08:02 AM.
16th April 2012, 02:46 PM   |  #1645  
Thanks Meter: 7

73 posts
Realy nice. I like it!
16th April 2012, 04:59 PM   |  #1646  
Thanks Meter: 13

99 posts
Tks Cf for this great app.
How's about the zooming function? I couldn't work out how to make it for my 40D.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by dungm; 16th April 2012 at 05:02 PM.
17th April 2012, 12:52 AM   |  #1647  
Bavaria
Thanks Meter: 43

213 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamullian

0.93 - still no better for my 5dII, after focusing the HDR function stops working (with both GT-P7510 and i515, same behaviour).
:(

I can only say what I experienced with 3 different devices (SII, Note, Tab 7.7): keep the cable short! Since I use a 15cm USB-cable, attached to the short OTG-cable (different ones for phones and tabs), I had not a single crash or hang problem anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight

If you could let me know an ideal build / ROM / specification, that would really help.

My configuration that works like a charm: RocketROM v22 (GB 2.3 based), Abyss Kernel 4.1 and the Note is the 'ordinary' N7000.

@Chainfire: great updates, great new functions! I love the focus pull ... as long as you use an external mic which is of course not your problem . I only use prime lenses and they focus quite a few times back and forth with no loss of the stored positions. The only still remaining problem is that darn cable length. I still don't understand why just this connection to the camera is so 'picky' about the USB cable.

Anyway, one little reminder if you don't mind : remember what I suggested a few weeks ago regarding the positioning of the focus rectangle? I still find it extremly annoying, that the rectangle is 'jumping' towards & exactly under the finger for moving it. Just leave it where it is and move it relative to the finger movement, no matter where the finger is. That way the finger wouldn't always block the view onto the focuspoint you want to set.

Apart from that, I love the app! End of April I'll finally test it in real life. I'm going to stay a while in Ireland to shoot musicians and I plan to also film a few gigs. It seems that DSLR-Controller will come very handy. The Note on the camera (I built me a holder for the hotshoe) and a BT-mouse and I should be set. I'll report when I'm back. I have a hard time to test something in 'synthetic' environments - there's nothing like the real life to test usability .
17th April 2012, 08:00 AM   |  #1648  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 50,218

9,107 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g

By all accounts, this should be working...

I found a chinese tablet (MID) running 2.3.1, not rooted, BUT it has a built-in OTG via full size USB port and it appears to be functional.

I can:
-use a mouse
-attach a CF reader and it mounts the card
-attach a USB thumb drive and it mounts

I can copy files, watch movies, etc... from the mounted devs,
but when I attach my Canon 7D, nothing happens. DSLR Controller doesn't pop up and when I run it manually, it says it cannot find any compatible device. My 7D firmware is 1.21, a bit old, but I didn't see any firmware notes that address a USB issue. Of course, when I plug my 7D into my PC, it recognizes the camera.

I am so close I can taste the HDR...

Indeed, it should just work. Try this: turn off the 7D, connect it to the tablet. Turn on the 7D, and within 1 second also start DSLR Controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartzman93

Im sure this has already been discussed, but for the sake of not have to scroll through all of the pages, I will ask it.

Can you set auto bracketing for more than 3 bracketed shots?

If based on the exposure compensation button (this is the one you can also set on your camera), the camera setting is used. For the 5D Mark III this means 3, 5 or 7 shots (2 is not supported by the app). For all other models, 3 is the only option. If you want to use more shots, you need to use the app's HDR/AEB function, which is slower, but supports as many shots as logically possible (i.e. if you base it on shutterspeed, and you have 49 shutterspeeds available, you can do 49 shots).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungm

Tks Cf for this great app.
How's about the zooming function? I couldn't work out how to make it for my 40D.

There's a zoom button at the top-right of the screen. I'm not sure if that works with the VxWorks models, though. (You have a VxWorks model device).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspilot

I can only say what I experienced with 3 different devices (SII, Note, Tab 7.7): keep the cable short! Since I use a 15cm USB-cable, attached to the short OTG-cable (different ones for phones and tabs), I had not a single crash or hang problem anymore.

This specific problem has been solved - it was a usage issue, and it will not be possible to trigger the problem you replied to from v0.94 and up.

Quote:

@Chainfire: great updates, great new functions! I love the focus pull ... as long as you use an external mic which is of course not your problem . I only use prime lenses and they focus quite a few times back and forth with no loss of the stored positions. The only still remaining problem is that darn cable length. I still don't understand why just this connection to the camera is so 'picky' about the USB cable.

This is still related to your setup... either the USB cable or OTG cable itself, or the USB sockets on your equipment are not connecting right. I test DSLR Controller regularly across about five different EOS models and about the same number of Android devices, and I always use the same 1.5m (4.5ft or so?) cable. This cable came with my 5D Mark III. When not using this cable, I use the cable that came with my 550D, which is the same length. I never have any of these issues you mention.

Quote:

Anyway, one little reminder if you don't mind : remember what I suggested a few weeks ago regarding the positioning of the focus rectangle? I still find it extremly annoying, that the rectangle is 'jumping' towards & exactly under the finger for moving it. Just leave it where it is and move it relative to the finger movement, no matter where the finger is. That way the finger wouldn't always block the view onto the focuspoint you want to set.

I haven't forgotten (it's on the long list of TODOs) but it doesn't have much priority, to be honest. Personally I prefer the current method - but I never drag the focus rectangle. Just tap-and-hold wherever you want the focus to be.

Quote:

Apart from that, I love the app! End of April I'll finally test it in real life. I'm going to stay a while in Ireland to shoot musicians and I plan to also film a few gigs. It seems that DSLR-Controller will come very handy. The Note on the camera (I built me a holder for the hotshoe) and a BT-mouse and I should be set. I'll report when I'm back. I have a hard time to test something in 'synthetic' environments - there's nothing like the real life to test usability .

Cool!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 11:54 AM   |  #1649  

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

Indeed, it should just work. Try this: turn off the 7D, connect it to the tablet. Turn on the 7D, and within 1 second also start DSLR Controller.

Hah... Just wanted to report, that with this method, I'm able to get DSLR Controller working on my Motorola Atrix phone with CM9 port developed by turl + powered usb adapter + Canon 550d It works a little bit unstable, but I was able to take a few shots (also with using timelapse)... it shows some promise I'll update my rom to newer version (since the one I have now is over month old), and see if that improves things.

cheers,
Bart
17th April 2012, 04:42 PM   |  #1650  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 10

169 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

I doubt it, to be honest. This is a level of information and control the camera does not really provide. The non-Canon hardware is more than likely reverse-engineered and doesn't do something the Canon hardware does do (same thing with non-Canon lenses - if you've ever wondered why they don't AF as well as Canon's lenses).

It is unfortunate, but I don't think I can do anything about it. And if I could, first I would have buy both Canon and non-Canon flashes to test it. And while they are on my shopping list - it's not very high on said list.

FYI: with my cheap wireless flash trigger set-up, the flash will not fire while I have liveview on. It took me forever to figure this out, but it could come into play here. I am guessing DSLR Controller will cause a similar issue.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZuneLune

Chainfire, the timelapse feature crashed the app tonight with my 5D II. When I clicked on the settings button and select the timelpase feature the timelapse setting screen appeared but crashed instantly.

HDR worked fine for me.

Edit: was using it with Asus Prime.

Update: Working fine now. Not sure what the problem was.

It has crashed a few more times on me when I access timelapse. To try to rule out settings, I turned off the info on the liveview screen (camera settings info) and it did not crash. I submitted a report through the app.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread