XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Offering Web Bootloader Unlock!

Tip us?

kaintfm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114

DONATE TO ME
Default HTC Offering Web Bootloader Unlock!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4573/h...-htc-sensation

Finally! A way to make the voided warranty and bootloader unlocking official. This way HTC can allow their phones to be unlocked without opening themselves up to the hordes of people bringing in their bricked phones for warranty work.
Phone/Rom/Kernel/Modem: Samsung Vibrant - AOKP Milestone 5 - Glitch v14 beta 6 - KB5
CPU Settings: 1400/100 Performance, Deep Idle On
Voltage Settings: Default, Medium Leakage
Launcher: Nova Launcher 1.2
Firmware: 4.0.4
"IF I HELPED YOU, THANK ME. MY EGO NEEDS NOURISHMENT!"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kaintfm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

carngeX
Old
Thanks Meter 129

DONATE TO ME
Awesome! Glad to see HTC coming through with their word.
Current Device:
Samsung GS3
Locked | ROM: Hellkat 4.4.2 (build 20140116) | Kernel: BMS 3.4.75

Previous Device(s):
HTC Rezound
Locked | S-Off | ROM: Infection 2.9.1 | Kernel: Stock | Radio: 1.22.10.0421r/1.22.10.0424r | HBOOT: Stock 2.25
HTC Incredible
S-Off | CM9.0.0 (Unofficial) | Kernel: stock | Radio: 2.15.10.07.07 |

highcoder
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default ...

...not really. you have to agree that you will loose the complete warranty. And i think your IMEI will be stored in a HTC Database so they can always identify that your phone is unlocked...

And as i remember they said that the new devices should already have an unlocked bootloader. ...have they?

galaxys
Old
Thanks Meter 462
A lot of the Sensation gang did not wait for HTC!
LGNexus5 <LGNexus4sold <HTCSensationsold <HTCNexus1sold <HTCHermessold <LG5250sold <MotorolaStarTacvault.
The XDA Cheerleaders hope your devices are winners! Happy Flashing!

Galaxys Enterprises: Fashion is a Passion - Life in the Cardio Fast Lane - High Energy Techno Mix - Reach for the Universe!

aaa
Old
Thanks Meter 29
What is the difference between :
Official bootloader unlocker plus officially loosing warranty
Unofficial bootloader unlocker plus loosing warranty

Nothing!

highcoder
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Of course there is a difference

Official bootloader unlocker plus officially loosing warranty plus your device is branded as unlocked for lifetime
Unofficial bootloader unlocker plus loosing warranty plus the ability to revert this

ivanlaszik
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I wonder how many "accounts" will be created in that "bootloader unlocking service". Seriously I would never use this way. Much simpler to use the xda methods to unlock,root and install custom roms (even if I have to wait couple of months) then any time revert and still keep waranty if once needed. (Hopefully never).
Just hope that because of this, developers won`t stop hacking future devices.

Q.Entity
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Whether or not some of us rather do it the "XDA way", this is a major development. The manufacturer agreed (with resrictions) to unlock it. I always said, it is my device, I paid for it and I ant full access to it.

Wih a but more pressure and time, I will bet you that som eof the warranty exceptions will disappear.

I have HTC devices, all rooted and running CM7 but I am glad to see this happening. It seems Motorola will do the same, eventually this may be the normal.

Besides, when the install software todo the unlock, they also open a door for rooting the "XDA way".

PseudoChris
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I think this is a great model. While it's always great to "get away" with rooting a phone and then still use the warranty if you're able to unroot it before you send it in.. its great to see a manufacturer take control of this process and give the option to use a phone to its fullest potential under the condition that you're on your own with your phone-play

DJW6927
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Amazing... In the space of a week nobody gives a f&*k.

My Sensations running GB2.3.4 very nicely now. Thanks XDA. S-ON, S-OFF, F-OFF HTC