[APP] Writepad: handwriting optimized for stylus

6th August 2011, 01:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54

146 posts
UPDATE: September 17
New feature:
* Flip view. Are you accidentally hitting the android system menu all the time? I am. Now you can flip the tablet over!

Probably the last update before I release 2.0. Woot!

UPDATE: September 16
New feature:
* Custom pen color / size / transparency.
* Pretty icons!

UPDATE: September 12

Writepad 2 beta is out. Download below!

New features:
* Bigger eraser size. You can change size of eraser using the "style" menu.
* Lasso erase. Draw a closed path to erase everything inside it.
* Typing mode. Click the T icon to start typing. Click again to go back to writing mode. If you have a physical keyboard you can keep typing while in writing mode. (Note: the text will not export to PDF or any other format yet. still working on it.)
* Import images from SD card. You can resize the image by dragging on the lower left corner.
* Import from web. Use the mini browser to go to the site you want, then hit OK to import it to your page. Then you can draw on it. (The zooming is weird right now)
* Auto-scroll button. Located above the zoom button - this will automatically scroll from left to right, and then to the next line. Useful for those who like to write while zoomed in. You can hold down the button and reposition it to wherever you like.

A few more features coming. I'll polish up the icons too - they're ugly right now.

The beta version will install as a separate app called "Writepad 2 beta". Please email me if you find bugs!

I just got this stylus http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Generat...pr_product_top
and it is the best stylus I've used. Much smoother, smaller tip = better handwriting!

UPDATE: August 17

Been working hard to get this released. I had no idea that there'll be so much response on here, so I will start going through your comments tomorrow. For now: I've updated the release APK below. It has all the features of the one on the market, but will stop working on October 1st. The market version is here for $0.99 https://market.android.com/details?id=com.writepad

Thank you for your interest!! It means a lot to a first time developer

-----------------------

I'll be using this app myself to take math notes when school starts, so I'm trying to get some nice features in there. I want this app to be as close to writing on real paper as possible. Let me know what you think!

I made this on the Asus Transformer (Android 3.2) and am interested in how it works on other tablets. Nitpick away; I'll try to fix any bugs before I put it up on the Market. The market version will have support for multiple notebooks.

Features:

Smooth writing experience: no lag and no jitter between the stylus movement and the screen response.

Smart palm detection. Only records the writing from your stylus! (note: only works for right handed people now. will add the setting for left-handers later)

Export page and notebook: share the page as PNG file, or export the whole thing as a ZIP file to your dropbox or gmail.

Paper type: comes with four familiar paper types.

Stylus calibration: Instead of drawing where the stylus touches the screen, it will draw where you *think* the stylus tip is. Good for those thicker tip styluses.

I use a Griffin stylus: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno.../ref=pd_cp_e_2, modded with the rubber grip from a Pentel pencil: http://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Twist-E.../dp/B00006IEH1
Attached Files
File Type: apk Writepad 1.3 trial.apk - [Click for QR Code] (111.0 KB, 2477 views)
File Type: apk Writepad 2 beta 9-17.apk - [Click for QR Code] (170.9 KB, 6330 views)
Last edited by transceiver; 29th September 2011 at 04:46 AM.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to transceiver For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th August 2011, 01:56 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 60

488 posts
More
Just tried this, and it's very cool! Do you know of any recognition-type software that you could feed the resulting images into for editable text?
6th August 2011, 02:45 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 175

1,272 posts
Nice app. Works great on the xoom. Just ordered that stylus. Thanks

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Last edited by timrock; 6th August 2011 at 02:50 AM.
6th August 2011, 03:08 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 60

488 posts
More
I'm using the Targus stylus. I think they're all identical -- made by Boxwave, maybe -- but the Targus version was a couple bucks cheaper.
6th August 2011, 03:25 AM   |  #5  
Flag NYC AkA GOTHAM!
Thanks Meter: 101

3,040 posts
More
Yeah your definitely going to have to make it for left handed people as well because I'm lefty!!
Definitely a great idea and I might look into buying a stylus to.
Looking forward to new features being added!!

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App
6th August 2011, 03:52 AM   |  #6  
Flag VA Beach
Thanks Meter: 147

645 posts
what's up with the eraser? Just Greys everything out for me.
6th August 2011, 06:14 AM   |  #7  
Flag Dubai, UAE
Thanks Meter: 284

785 posts
More
very nice, ive been looking for something like this.
6th August 2011, 08:23 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

64 posts
More
Well I just use the app and there's allot if lag... I'm using a ajl stylus on the xoom wifi .. 3.2

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App
6th August 2011, 10:45 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 278

649 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealyourface

what's up with the eraser? Just Greys everything out for me.

You mark off what you want to erase with the grey and then you select pen again and magically the grey disappeares.

To the Op, this app has the potential to be the best handwriting note taking app, I have tried them all and requested the palm rest feature from the other developers who were not able to implement the feature to date, this one works really well.

Below is my wish list for future enhancements:

Pinch to zoom, so that we can write inside shapes we have drawn without difficulty.

Unlimited undo

Ability to fill with colour any objects drawn on the screen e.g. bar or pie charts.

The zoom bar so that what you write is transferred to the lines in proportion to the other letters as an option where needed. I have noticed that when I get to the bottom corner with my palm or wrist, the settings pop up which is quite annoying.

Importing of images from gallery for annotation

Export to pdf's

smoother handwriting panel, I have been spoiled with the bamboo paper app on ipad which is extremely smooth.

I would love to be a beta tester and try out new features, count me in!
Last edited by HasC; 6th August 2011 at 11:46 AM.
6th August 2011, 11:51 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 278

649 posts
More
Just for your info, an app with the name write pad already exists so you may need to rename your app before putting it on the market.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread