Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,569 Members 44,516 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Android on HP Touchpad

Tip us?

sollord
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Android on HP Touchpad

This is probably a dumb question in the wrong section but are there any reasons outside of something like a locked boot-loader that Android couldn't be compiled to run on the HP touchpad tablet?

tjsynkral
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I was just wondering the same thing. The CPU is a SnapDragon so the hardware at least has the potential to work...

monkeychef
Old
Thanks Meter 115
I would imagine that it would be quite difficult because you would need to build your own kernel and custom version of android.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App
Samsung Galaxy S4 on Sprint
-Rom: Stock
-Kernal: Stock

Retired - OG HTC Evo 4G on Sprint
-Rom: Stock
-Kernal: Stock

Acer Iconia A500
-Rom: Thor's ICS from Tegra Owners

█If you could help me get more space in Dropbox I would really appreciate it. http://db.tt/XSsDpyk
Helpful Threads!
How to Sync your Box.net account crossplatform using SocialFolder's. Here
Want to build your own computer tower, but don't know where to start? PM Me!

HorsexD
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychef View Post
I would imagine that it would be quite difficult because you would need to build your own kernel and custom version of android.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App
Im not a Developer or anything but I would Assume that we Can wait for a Honeycomb Tablet to come out with Similar specs (I.E Same Processor and Ram) and port a Version of that to the TouchPad. It should work if Running HC 3.2 since it supports different Screen sizes too. I would assume only minor tweaking would be needed. But thats just me Guessing.

mk3
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Sorry but I was thinking the opposite. I would kill to get WebOS running on my new Moto Photon!
"Abracadabra Holmes"
-Cal Naughton, Jr.
The Following User Says Thank You to mk3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrkkk
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Talking ouchpad

+1 for android on HP ouchpad

mrkkk
Old
Thanks Meter 4
http://cnnmoney.mobi/wk_snarticle?ar...=cnnm_business

especially now since ouchpad is dead

aniym
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I think this is going to become a much more important question, now that HP is getting out of the consumer hardware business and WebOS is going to become unsupported very soon. I think a dual-core snapdragon would be more that enough to run 2.3, and the aspect ratio (4:3) makes it a lot more attractive to me than the existing 16:10 stable of Honeycomb tablets.

If the source code for Ice Cream Sandwich is released to the public, hopefully this can happen. For now though I hope someone will be interested enough to pick up a cut-rate Touchpad (prices are likely to plummet now that Retailers will be dying to offload them) and attempt to get CM7 on it.

mrkrad
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkkk View Post
http://cnnmoney.mobi/wk_snarticle?ar...=cnnm_business

especially now since ouchpad is dead
due to LTE:

Samsung Galaxy S II Hercules
Samsung SHV-E120S Galaxy S II LTE

use the modem-less AP8060 that the touchpad uses. they would be the target candidates to port to touchpad. could maybe do boot ->boot like IOS jailbreak where you strap webos to boot android.

Since AP8060 is SOC (all in one) - good chance of this working.

remote44
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I would put up some cash to see this happen... really would... WebOS is nice.. the Hardware is nice.. but AS IT IS... is as it will be and it just doesnt have enough in it for me to enjoy it. Not enough quality apps.. and what happens when things need updates to make them work properly. call whom ever you want ... no one is there to pick up the phone they have all be WFR by hp lol